• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New MCAT cutoffs as follows (non-swomen):

New MCAT

- 127 (BB) /127 (CC) /130 (CARS)

Old

- 10 (BS) / 10 (PS) / 11 (VR)

Was thoroughly shocked by my interview invite with 11/11/11 split resulting in rejection last year

Pretty shocked by the 130 minimum in CARS..

So I was rejected based on my undergraduate degree not meeting requirements, though I'm pretty sure it does.

I've e-mailed the office. Anyone have any experience with this?

every year is different but the school tends to be reasonable - you have to prove that it does.

I guess they didn't tell you why? course load? right level of courses? going to be completed on time?

I rewrote the mcat to do better in the BS section and the cutoff goes down by two points. I end up not getting interviewed even though my overall %ile score is approx. 95. Had I not rewritten I would've scored an interview. Great.

gezzz sorry to hear that - that is extremely frustrating :(

every year is different but the school tends to be reasonable - you have to prove that it does.

I guess they didn't tell you why? course load? right level of courses? going to be completed on time?

No, not specifically, just that "According to your OMSAS application, your degree does not meet our selection criteria". But I wrote the a message reiterating that I had a full course load, at the right level, which will be completed this semester, and that it's an honours undergrad degree (as is my first).

I remember reading about a similar situation last year and that person did eventually receive the interview.

Still raises the ol' anxiety level a bit.

No, not specifically, just that "According to your OMSAS application, your degree does not meet our selection criteria". But I wrote the a message reiterating that I had a full course load, at the right level, which will be completed this semester, and that it's an honours undergrad degree (as is my first).

I remember reading about a similar situation last year and that person did eventually receive the interview.

2nd degree? Western changed their 2nd degree requirements this year.

yeah now you have to deal with the stress of finding out one way or the other - good luck, the school will be busy but will get back to you.

Western has the most tragically flawed system for med admissions in Ontario.

Not super in love with the process right now but I actually like Western because of the transparency.

Maybe they are favouring old MCATs just a bit because they know that those who only have the old MCAT will only be able to apply this year.

There are always trade-offs and here I think they actually balanced as well as they could.

Not super in love with the process right now but I actually like Western because of the transparency.

Maybe they are favouring old MCATs just a bit because they know that those who only have the old MCAT will only be able to apply this year.

There are always trade-offs and here I think they actually balanced as well as they could.

that's not how the cutoffs work, and judging by some of the responses here not many people seem to understand.

The cutoffs are set BY THE APPLICATIONS THEMSELVES. They define a set number of people they want to interview (450), then set the cutoff to make it so 450 people get interviewed. There is no pre-setting of these cutoffs to make it easier for certain people (besides the SWOMEN advantage). The only reason it would go down is if people with lower scores are applying, which is likely what happened because the people with higher MCATs already got in last year and no one new is taking the old one this cycle.

Did anyone notice that the important information form said all classes much be complete by April 30th? I was operating under the assumption that it used to be that we had to graduate by the end of June and was planning to take a pair of online courses in the early spring to meet the deadline. May have to decline the interview if it's as hopeless as it seems.

• Leon unpinned this topic

Archived