Premed 101 Forums

Do You Have Question About Uofc Med? Ask Away

I have another question.

At U of A we were told that they have 24/7 access to the anatomy lab.

From the tour after the interview, I think I remember hearing that this isn't the case at U of C, correct? What are the available hours like?

I ask because I taught anatomy in labs for a few years and am really hoping to help others (I sometimes wonder if I should become an anatomy prof lol), especially those who want more in depth anatomy stuff beyond the basics.

I have another question.

From the tour after the interview, I think I remember hearing that this isn't the case at U of C, correct? What are the available hours like?

I ask because I taught anatomy in labs for a few years and am really hoping to help others (I sometimes wonder if I should become an anatomy prof lol), especially those who want more in depth anatomy stuff beyond the basics.

No, there isn't 24h access anymore, since we our lab is so new and fancy that we share with surgical residents, etc.

At the beginning of each course the anatomy rep from your class will negotiate hours for self study (with some preceptor availability as well) They've always been more than sufficient so if you wanted to teach your classmates you would have lots of time!

I have another question.

I hope we wind up in the same class!

Ok, so before anyone tells me, yes, I know I am overthinking things. But I'm really bored so help me out :cool:

So I know that people have been asking about whether or not the verifier phone calls are a random thing. I have two similar and equally anxiety-ridden questions.

Are there any applicants whose verifier received a phone call, yet they still weren't admitted/waitlisted? (Excluding those who were rejected when it was found out that they had lied).

In other words, what's the positive predictive value of a verifier phone call for acceptance, excluding  fraudulent applicants?

Second, are there any students at U of C who have a rough guess as to how many people in their class had their verifiers contacted?

Ok, so before anyone tells me, yes, I know I am overthinking things. But I'm really bored so help me out :cool:

So I know that people have been asking about whether or not the verifier phone calls are a random thing. I have two similar and equally anxiety-ridden questions.

Are there any applicants whose verifier received a phone call, yet they still weren't admitted/waitlisted? (Excluding those who were rejected when it was found out that they had lied).

In other words, what's the positive predictive value of a verifier phone call for acceptance, excluding  fraudulent applicants?

Second, are there any students at U of C who have a rough guess as to how many people in their class had their verifiers contacted?

dude ur in 100% bro

The best answer I could give you is that you need to let these sorts of details go. The answers won't help you and the type of thinking leading to these sorts of questions isn't particularly good for you. I realize the waiting is really rough, but the letters will be sent out soon. Do what you can to break this sort of cycle of thinking in the meantime. :) 

The best answer I could give you is that you need to let these sorts of details go. The answers won't help you and the type of thinking leading to these sorts of questions isn't particularly good for you. I realize the waiting is really rough, but the letters will be sent out soon. Do what you can to break this sort of cycle of thinking in the meantime. :)

Good advice. Hey, if the random vagaries of day-to-day life add unpredictable variance in the legal system, who knows what can happen with med school apps?

As frostycappucino mentioned it doesn't seem like having a verifier contacted is an indicator of anything. They had a verifier contacted and they didn't get in. And it doesn't make sense for everyone who got in to not have verifiers contacted, so it seems as though it's just random. 

(I'd assume as much with the exception of files that might have flags on them)

Hey pathoma,

Try to relax dude/friend. I know that's the most aggravating thing to hear, but you can't really do anything about it until later.

Here's is the common-sense approach we used at one of my old jobs, where I was involved in the hiring process:

I only did my random phone calls to verifiers/referees of people who did well at the interview. No way did we bother calling referees of applicants who didn't impress us at the interview and weren't getting hired. Where's the bang in your buck for that?

But, we had a lot of prospective hires, so no way did we call each and every single referee.

That's the way I think of it and it lets me relax about the whole thing.

Note that I have never been on a Canadian medical school admissions committee so there's tons I don't know, and that also helps me relax about who's getting verifier calls or not.

The wait, on the other hand, is killing me.

I honestly have no experience because this is my first time applying and I am trying to patiently wait for decisions as well. But it just makes no sense to me that they would spend the time and energy verifying activities of people who are going to get rejected. Im not saying they don't, Im just saying that it wouldn't make much sense to me to do that. You have to think that a few weeks (or potentially a few days) after interviews they have a pretty good idea of who is going to be on the waitlist and who is going to get an offer of admission. You would think they would focus on verifying activities of those people, but like I said, I have no experience with this so who knows! (I also may be secretly hoping for this also because one of my verifiers was contacted!) 

But it just makes no sense to me that they would spend the time and energy verifying activities of people who are going to get rejected. Im not saying they don't, Im just saying that it wouldn't make much sense to me to do that.

You could just as easily argue that they maintain the quality of admitted applicants by verifying activities of people who will even get rejected (and save time and energy in the future). In most cases people apply multiple times before being admitted. If person X is rejected one year, and in that year a random verifier-check determines that they falsified a Top 10, maybe a flag will go on that file so that when they apply again next year the Admissions Committee will be sure to verify all activities.

Not saying that this is the case for you! I'm in the camp that verifier checks are random, and as DIW has said many times before - verifiers are checked randomly!

Amichel? thoughts?

This actually annoys me because I know there are people out there that will freak out over seeing this type of speculation on Premed101, a site that should be about encouragement without unnecessary discouragement i.e. thinking that your chances are shot because your verifiers didn't get contacted when no one knows anything regarding the process of admissions decisions.