Premed 101 Forums

U Of Alberta 2016 Interview Discussion

I faintly remember the prompt questions being there to guide in you in the right direction, so keep this in mind. Last year, at least two or three of my interviewers had no prompts to ask me since I'd already addressed them in the main answer. This is no indication of good performance, however, since I scored horribly (10/30) in the end  :eek:

So I guess this leads to me ask.... would it be better to keep your main answer as brief as possible so you can answer the prompts? My answers in practice sessions have typically been 5-6 minutes in length, in which I address all my points (introduction, the issue, the alternatives, my decision, and a follow-up).

So I guess this leads to me ask.... would it be better to keep your main answer as brief as possible so you can answer the prompts? My answers in practice sessions have typically been 5-6 minutes in length, in which I address all my points (introduction, the issue, the alternatives, my decision, and a follow-up).

Either is fine .... I personally used ~7 min for every question.... answered one prompt only if the interviewer wanted to give me one (they were either completely satisfied, felt there wasn't enough time left, or just asked to clarify a point so I kept it brief). 

Just use those 8 min to the greatest impact however you can....

That said........ you should consider incorporating consequences and future implications that will then transition smoother to alternatives and follow up. You should definitely answer the question right away... If I'm the interviewer and you take too long to get to the point I won't care what you say.

- G

I would worry less about setting a specific 'time goal' for yourself, and try and be present in that moment, and gauge how much you have to say about that prompt. ultimately, you want to hit all the important points you have to say, without running out of time, or sitting too long in silence.

The time will vary with each question, but in that moment, I'd worry more about the question and what you are trying to say then the timing. There are only so many thoughts your brain can handle in that kind of high-stress situation!

Good luck to everyone else interviewing tomorrow! If any of you is holding out on the cure for the common cold please pm me. I will sign an NDA if you let me know what it is lol.

Pho. Pho is the answer.

Coincidentally, it is also the cure for the savage hangover you'll have the morning after your interview. 

The MMIs this year were a lot better this year than last year, I believe, in terms of the questions asked and the interviewers' liberty to make human expressions and gestures during the questions  :lol:

I agree! All of my interviewers were great. I only had one that was serious (and I got the impression that she was trying her best to be ultra serious if that makes sense). 

I hope that everyone is taking a bit of time to relax now that the interviews have ended.  :D

I agree! All of my interviewers were great. I only had one that was serious (and I got the impression that she was trying her best to be ultra serious if that makes sense).

I hope that everyone is taking a bit of time to relax a bit now that the interviews have ended. :D

A young woman of Asian ethnicity ? If so, I think we were In the same track.

Hello everyone! 

First off I think I can speak on behalf of many in our class that it's been such an amazing weekend helping the interviewees be as comfortable as possible throughout the process. I can understand the challenges many of you faced and wish you all the best in the future, regardless of the result! 

If some people would be willing to share their experiences and provide feedback please let me know. If there were questions you didn't think of that you want to ask, or were too shy to ask in front of the interviewees in classroom D, I'd be happy to help. 

In the meantime........ I was the pink team set leader for groups A2, A4, and A6..... I hope I saw some of your bright faces (even if you weren't led by me)! 

Best wishes and take care, 

- G 

Hello everyone! 

First off I think I can speak on behalf of many in our class that it's been such an amazing weekend helping the interviewees be as comfortable as possible throughout the process. I can understand the challenges many of you faced and wish you all the best in the future, regardless of the result! 

If some people would be willing to share their experiences and provide feedback please let me know. If there were questions you didn't think of that you want to ask, or were too shy to ask in front of the interviewees in classroom D, I'd be happy to help. 

In the meantime........ I was the pink team set leader for groups A2, A4, and A6..... I hope I saw some of your bright faces (even if you weren't led by me)! 

Best wishes and take care, 

- G 

Oh my gosh - I didn't realize you were the infamous Ghoststalker bahahah

I was in your A6 group today. :) 

On another note - I thought there were a good mix of interviewers. The med student interviewers were absolutely amazing. I had one interviewer who wouldn't make any eye contact, but other than that I thought it was an interesting mix.

There was something one applicant said today during the afternoon Q & A session that threw me off.

This applicant said that one of the interviewer's told each applicant that they would be giving all of them full marks for one particular station.

The reason was because the interviewer thought that the question was inappropriate and thus invalid.

The interviewer was going to contest the question but in the meantime just gave every applicant on that track full marks for that station.

Is there anyone here who was on that particular track and can comment a little more on what the interviewer said exactly? (Not looking for specifics of the station, just want a better idea of what happened.)

There was something one applicant said today during the afternoon Q & A session that threw me off.

This applicant said that one of the interviewer's told each applicant that they would be giving all of them full marks for one particular station.

The reason was because the interviewer thought that the question was inappropriate and thus invalid.

The interviewer was going to contest the question but in the meantime just gave every applicant on that track full marks for that station.

Is there anyone here who was on that particular track and can comment a little more on what the interviewer said exactly? (Not looking for specifics of the station, just want a better idea of what happened.)

Interesting. Can't think of which question this would be, but regardless if it does get thrown out, hopefully it's a Station I didn't do well on. Lol