Premed 101 Forums

U Of Alberta 2016 Interview Discussion

So I've talked to admissions and they've said I was rejected based on my poor interview performance last year... I thought each year's application was kind of a clean slate and independent from applications from other years? The only reason I did so poor was because a lack of preparation, a poor approach to answeing questiosn, and nervousness

Last year when I asked about being flagged, they said a note was placed on my file. I asked them if it would affect this year's app. They said no

Hey premed1425. First of all, your stats are great and you should be damn proud of those numbers. I am sorry about your situation.

If I were you I would go there in PERSON and get your concerns addressed. This is no small matter. I, like you, would be devastated to be kicked out because of something as unfair/trivialas "last year's interview performance". If you did get red flagged, I suggest you ask them about what that means in regards to future application cycles and if that did in fact impact your chances this cycle. As others have mentioned, it may just be your ECs that are holding you back. You can't be sure. Go MEET them! 

Best of luck.

Ok everyone on the real though... this isn't trivial at all... to be flat out rejected with premed1425 is not common even with the ever increasing competition.

Does anyone really believe that your apps last year has no effect? It's not as simple as a formulaic A+B+C = rank #.

Suppose a person has X GPA, Y MCAT, Z ECs.... suppose that same person went in with the application X GPA, Y MCAT, Z ECs....

What's happened here? Literally nothing ...

See where the problem is?

Even if they don't use your file, something that looks like a rehash of the previous file isn't going to do you any favours. If anything, this is where there's a fine balance between advantages/disadvantages for a reapplicant >>> (+) you have more time to work on yourself and improve / (-) you are expected to improve from last time and should be held to a higher standard. They won't necessarily use any old files, but you bet they have it on record (for a number of years potentially until they need to be scrapped).

Of course none of this will fit into the objective numbers... but people can be moved around for other reasons. It would be foolish to think that admissions just look at the numbers and are done with it.

We also have no information on what this "note" is referring to... this can be a good note (unlikely given your mentioned poor interview performance), a red flag (somewhat unlikely if you have no idea), or that it's based on inappropriate actions/sayings outside the interview (look if you say something blatantly dumb... don't expect that just because you're out of the interview room that you aren't being judged)... worst case scenario you could have gotten reported for something else not necessarily in the physical interview.

Look I don't know what it is you've done and I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt... but to get an additional note of any kind is serious. To think that doesn't at least carry some weight, regardless of how big/little... would be naive. So if you haven't really done anything to change/improve... why should they give a s@#$ compared to another re-applicant who has?

I would sincerely hope that you didn't blow your chances by being disrespectful or demonstrate qualities not fitting of the profession... but this is a prime example that grades don't get you into medical school... the person does. This process is not meant to be fair and it doesn't capture perfectly who should be a physician (tons of false positives and negatives). I would seriously do some self-reflection as to what could have happened that day... regardless you won't get any feedback until after interviews anyways. To echo what another poster said.... ABSOLUTELY do this in PERSON ... but keep calm and don't you dare blow your lid.

- G

They said to wait for the feedback letter which comes out in late March.

So I've talked to admissions and they've said I was rejected based on my poor interview performance last year... I thought each year's application was kind of a clean slate and independent from applications from other years? The only reason I did so poor was because a lack of preparation, a poor approach to answeing questiosn, and nervousness

So you called in for information and they said they were unable to provide feedback until the letter in March, then you called in again the next day and they were able to tell you why your application was rejected. Perhaps there was a misunderstanding where they were just reiterating that your application last year was rejected due to the interview and it came out sounding like this cycle's app was was rejected because of your previous interview performance. I hope this didn't come off as presumptuous, just thought this could have been a possible explanation.

This reminds me of the applicant, a couple of years ago, who applied to UofA and was red-flagged outside the interviews for dropping a few swear words in conversation with other candidates. 

Link: http://forums.premed101.com/index.php?/topic/70242-regrets-breakdown-doesnt-add-up/page-2

Pay attention to the bold text here: 

"I wouldn't blame anybody for 'snitching'. They're just doing what they were told to do. It sucks that I'm on the receiving end of it, but I understand why these rules are in place.

Admissions actually spent some time explaining that they take these things pretty seriously and that there's a review process involved, so I'd imagine it's not just me rubbing someone the wrong way. They also mentioned that several people commented on it. I don't know exactly what I said or did, but the bottom line is that I messed up and need to be more aware about how I act in settings like that. 

I'll definitely apply to U of A again because I think it's a great school.

e - I got a good question in my private messages about whether the red-flag is permanently associated with my name if I were to apply again. Admissions was very clear on telling me that I would have a totally blank slate if I applied in future cycles and that the red-flag would not be retained."

I am not saying you did anything red-flag worthy, but even if you did, it should be a clean slate the next time you apply. Keep in contact with adcoms as something seems fishy. 

Thanks for all this support guys. I really appreciate it. 

So you called in for information and they said they were unable to provide feedback until the letter in March, then you called in again the next day and they were able to tell you why your application was rejected. Perhaps there was a misunderstanding where they were just reiterating that your application last year was rejected due to the interview and it came out sounding like this cycle's app was was rejected because of your previous interview performance. I hope this didn't come off as presumptuous, just thought this could have been a possible explanation.

Well actually I didn't call. All my communication with them has been through email. And when I asked about the rejection for this cycle, they replied to the same email thread saying that it was due to below average EC scores and my interview performance from last year. I've tried emailing them back after saying that I felt I was competitive enough to meet the interview cutoff score, despite having a below average personal activities score. And I also said that, based on the admissions site, this years application should be reviewed independent of last year's interview score. I haven't received any replied from the admissions office yet, so I tried emailing the dean of admissions. No response yet = /

I don't know anything about your situation, however, I can definitely envision a scenario where they would want to carry over flags to the next year.

For example, if a hypothetical applicant were to make terribly racists remarks (like not accidental, but multiple awful things) then be notified of the flag (as per policy), they wouldn't want said applicant to be able to interview again, suppress their racism for 2 hours, and get in.

I don't know anything about your situation, however, I can definitely envision a scenario where they would want to carry over flags to the next year.

For example, if a hypothetical applicant were to make terribly racists remarks (like not accidental, but multiple awful things) then be notified of the flag (as per policy), they wouldn't want said applicant to be able to interview again, suppress their racism for 2 hours, and get in.

Omg amichel, every other comment I see from you is you either talking about racism or accusing someone of racism.

Anyways, if UofA decides to desqualify you forever for being flagged, they should explicitly tell you so you don't waste time and money on the application.

Omg amichel, every other comment I see from you is you either talking about racism or accusing someone of racism.

Anyways, if UofA decides to desqualify you forever for being flagged, they should explicitly tell you so you don't waste time and money on the application.

Lol, no, that's really not true. But whatever.

And I agree, they should tell you if they're doing that. Doesn't change my point.

This is kind of what I was getting at. Why would the school exclude someone who interviewed poorly? That's life. You'd have to do something to really show you were unfit to practice medicine. I can't imagine it would be something subtle. This is still just such a bizarre situation.

Wait... so without knowing what the application pool is like and who got the interview... after not getting one based on criteria known by applicants all around ... you had the nerve to say that you were competitive enough despite acknowledging that you were below average (which you don't even know how much you were below)...

Look it's one thing to be upset (and understandably so) about not getting an interview... it's another thing to throw it back at them and say you felt you were good enough (they have to reject hundreds of people, many of whom are good students all the time) ... if you had a clean slate before you definitely don't anymore.

I know the feeling sucks .... it sucked for me too ... just take it on the chin and be patient ...

1) What a god awful mentality....... none of the interviewers will even know who you are .... the only way you'll have a target on your back is if you tell them. I could have told the interviewers I was dead last... but I wanted them to evaluate me as if I'm just any other applicant. The interviewers have no information on who you are or what was on your file....

2) This I can understand since it obviously will influence your mood... try to get your favorite food, talk to friends + loved ones, take a bit of a break and then get back up when you're ready.

3) ... the level of self-entitlement is unreal ... you do have a second chance... it's called applying again and growing up/becoming a better person.

- G

I don't disagree with what you're saying, but I think it's unproductive to make character judgements or insult OP in this instance. I'm sure we've all been through stressful situations where we've acted irrationally or in a manner that doesn't align well with how we typically carry ourselves. If OP came to this forum seeking advice, there's no point denigrating them.

I think racism, sexism, ablism, classism, and bias against any other equity groups, can cause flagging.  I don't feel like the demonstrations of those belief would have to be super overt, as in stating "I believe that men are better than women".  I feel like if your answers indicate a lack of understanding of the equity issues facing women, people who are socioeconomically disadvantaged, people who are disabled, people of visible minority, people who are indigenous, etc. then that' s major red flag.  I mean, there must be a reason why sociology is now a part of the MCAT.

I don't disagree with what you're saying, but I think it's unproductive to make character judgements or insult OP in this instance. I'm sure we've all been through stressful situations where we've acted irrationally or in a manner that doesn't align well with how we typically carry ourselves. If OP came to this forum seeking advice, there's no point denigrating them.

I'd say OP needs to engage his resiliency.  It is incredibly tough to get rejected, but it might be better to focus on his U of C interview prep and let this one go if he doesn't have the resources to do his prep AND advocate for himself with the U of A administration.  He does have an interview, and its at a very good school!  He should be dancin'!  

But seriously, I'm sure his attitude reflects the pain/confusion of many other applicants who didn't get invites.  

I can understand why it's seen that way and could be phrased better ..... that said there's also a difference between acting irrationally and pinning responsibility away from themselves. premed1425 took no ownership of the situation, instead opting to make ridiculous claims for second chance MMIs and emailing admissions saying he should be good enough for an interview. One shouldn't make such poor claims without getting called out on it... in the same sense that I'm more than willing to get called out on any of my posts.

That said I'll save this type of stuff for PMs or my mind next time. Nothing I say will change their situation anyways.

- G

Two things to add:

1. From past interviewers, I was told that you could be flagged and it can carry over to subsequent years. Some people had perfect stats but were terrible people and were given interviews across Canada but not as IP applicants even though they got invites in previous years? They weren't informed but when it happens, you might get a bit of a hint that something is lacking/went wrong. Anything that happens in the MMI stations or outside during the general intros, time with your set groups, social events of any sort, etc. can hinder your chances and put a note in your file. So just be careful!

2. I have had multiple meetings with our associate deans and they are in the process of turning the admissions process upside down by trying to not take in typical 'pre-meds' because they notice certain attitudes, very narrow views about health (e.g. no one caring about social determinants), do activities of no impact or meaning in the communities, and reinforce a culture of "this is the checklist to get into med so just do the hours and apply". Maybe that's why there are applicants this year, at least shown in this forum, with lower GPAs and MCATs that are invited because they have a lot more to bring to the class than people with 4.0s and only know how to run a health-based student group by doing bake sales. I'm glad that it's going in this direction because the faculty wants to become more like UofC and change the face of what students are entering. Keep in mind that med school will slowly become less and less simple to find a way into and I'm happy that they are beginning to value things beyond the stats. 

Hi all,

I'm flying into Edmonton and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on anything to check out either at the U of A campus or in Edmonton in general. I'll be arriving on the Friday of interview weekend and leaving Sunday evening (interview is on the Saturday) so I'll have some time to check out the area--I've never been to Edmonton before.

Thanks!

Two things to add:

1. From past interviewers, I was told that you could be flagged and it can carry over to subsequent years. Some people had perfect stats but were terrible people and were given interviews across Canada but not as IP applicants even though they got invites in previous years? They weren't informed but when it happens, you might get a bit of a hint that something is lacking/went wrong. Anything that happens in the MMI stations or outside during the general intros, time with your set groups, social events of any sort, etc. can hinder your chances and put a note in your file. So just be careful!

2. I have had multiple meetings with our associate deans and they are in the process of turning the admissions process upside down by trying to not take in typical 'pre-meds' because they notice certain attitudes, very narrow views about health (e.g. no one caring about social determinants), do activities of no impact or meaning in the communities, and reinforce a culture of "this is the checklist to get into med so just do the hours and apply". Maybe that's why there are applicants this year, at least shown in this forum, with lower GPAs and MCATs that are invited because they have a lot more to bring to the class than people with 4.0s and only know how to run a health-based student group by doing bake sales. I'm glad that it's going in this direction because the faculty wants to become more like UofC and change the face of what students are entering. Keep in mind that med school will slowly become less and less simple to find a way into and I'm happy that they are beginning to value things beyond the stats. 

Words to live by up top. That said if you're not having problems you really have nothing to worry about.

GPA.....=D ............. =O .............. =|

Sincerely yours,

- G

Edited by Arztin

Words to live by up top. That said if you're not having problems you really have nothing to worry about.

GPA.....=D ............. =O .............. =|

Sincerely yours,

- G

Dude, the associate deans said that they hate seeing people getting 4.0s by taking easy classes and would rather have someone with a 3.5-3.6 but took much harder courses or at least things they liked. I feel bad for even having a decent GPA by taking the easier approach because I didn't think there were moral victories during this application process...clearly there are and I basically wasted an entire degree. Next life, BSW followed by MSW, MPH and then MAYBE med. Hearts are blinded by brains as premeds and now I "suffer" through meaningful soul-searching. 

Edited by Arztin

• 3 weeks later...

I had a few questions about the MMI, that was either not addressed by this forum/not recently mentioned:

1. Do the interviewers for each station let you know how many prompting questions you have before you start talking? If not, how many questions are there usually (In past posts, I read that there are usually 4/5).

2. Will pencil and paper be available for each station?

I had a few questions about the MMI, that was either not addressed by this forum/not recently mentioned:

1. Do the interviewers for each station let you know how many prompting questions you have before you start talking? If not, how many questions are there usually (In past posts, I read that there are usually 4/5).

2. Will pencil and paper be available for each station?

Hi BoopityBoop,

They do a quick presentation before you do the actual MMI and they'll tell you how many prompts there are per question. Last time I interviewed, I think there were five prompts, but this may have changed. 

Like UCpls<3 said, they give us paper and a pencil. You'll also be given a water bottle and a sheet of stickers containing your photo that you provided when you replied 'Yes' to your invitation. 

Pro tip - Before you go in, just slightly peel the corner of each of your stickers so you don't have to claw at them like a wild animal when you enter each room.  :D  (speaking from experience)

Best of luck to everyone on interview day!!  :D

Hi BoopityBoop,

They do a quick presentation before you do the actual MMI and they'll tell you how many prompts there are per question. Last time I interviewed, I think there were five prompts, but this may have changed. 

Like UCpls<3 said, they give us paper and a pencil. You'll also be given a water bottle and a sheet of stickers containing your photo that you provided when you replied 'Yes' to your invitation. 

Pro tip - Before you go in, just slightly peel the corner of each of your stickers so you don't have to claw at them like a wild animal when you enter each room.  :D  (speaking from experience)

Best of luck to everyone on interview day!!  :D

<3... such a simple, but time saving tip. Thank you!