Premed 101 Forums

Research Assistant, Need Advice

RicardoKaká

Hello everyone!

Not sure if this is the right place to post this topic, but here it is anyways:

I am finishing up a 16 month Master's (end in December of 2016). I am involved in a wetlab research thesis and have many years of research experience (did undergrad research, summer research at UofT etc.). Even though I end in December I was looking to continue to do my research at my current school, however this is completely dependent on whether or not my research supervisor gets funding for the following year.

My 16 month MSc seems to have put me in a tricky situation, I will be re-applying to medicine after I am done my MSc in December and thus will have a big gap of time before I find out about interviews/matriculation into a medical program. Thus, if I am unable to continue with my current supervisor due to lack of funding I will have to look for a research job elsewhere.

Also since my program ends in December I am ineligible to re-apply for OGS (currently an OGS recipient for 2015-2016 academic year, and all other funding opportunities (NSERC etc.)

I will likely have 2 publications by the time I am done my research here, not sure if this will help me land research jobs or not but they will likely be in decent journals (likely IF 5-10ish given my supervisor publish history).

Anyways, just wondering if anyone knows how to go about looking into/applying for research jobs 

My ideal situation would be to continue to do research while I wait to hear back in the 2016-2017 cycle and obviously continue until I actually start medicine.

I appreciate any support in this matter, this has got be a little stressed out seeing as I don't come from a wealthy background (been working part-time and had to achieve good grades to get scholarships to help fund my schooling). Currently have ~20,000 OSAP debt and hoping that I don't have to start paying that back until I am done medicine.

Thanks everyone

Hello everyone!

Not sure if this is the right place to post this topic, but here it is anyways:

I am finishing up a 16 month Master's (end in December of 2016). I am involved in a wetlab research thesis and have many years of research experience (did undergrad research, summer research at UofT etc.). Even though I end in December I was looking to continue to do my research at my current school, however this is completely dependent on whether or not my research supervisor gets funding for the following year.

My 16 month MSc seems to have put me in a tricky situation, I will be re-applying to medicine after I am done my MSc in December and thus will have a big gap of time before I find out about interviews/matriculation into a medical program. Thus, if I am unable to continue with my current supervisor due to lack of funding I will have to look for a research job elsewhere.

Also since my program ends in December I am ineligible to re-apply for OGS (currently an OGS recipient for 2015-2016 academic year, and all other funding opportunities (NSERC etc.)

I will likely have 2 publications by the time I am done my research here, not sure if this will help me land research jobs or not but they will likely be in decent journals (likely IF 5-10ish given my supervisor publish history).

Anyways, just wondering if anyone knows how to go about looking into/applying for research jobs 

My ideal situation would be to continue to do research while I wait to hear back in the 2016-2017 cycle and obviously continue until I actually start medicine.

I appreciate any support in this matter, this has got be a little stressed out seeing as I don't come from a wealthy background (been working part-time and had to achieve good grades to get scholarships to help fund my schooling). Currently have ~20,000 OSAP debt and hoping that I don't have to start paying that back until I am done medicine.

Thanks everyone

Check out if your school has some sort of career services or something along those lines. There may be a section where job postings are posted within these services. I know that UWO does so if you're a mustang you're in luck. 

Archived