Premed 101 Forums

How Easy It Is To Secure Residency After Finishing Med School In Ireland?

Hi:

I finished high school last year. I am planning to go to NUIG to complete the 6 year med school program. I was wondering how easy it is secure a family medicine residency in Canada. I've heard it is about 98% match rate. Does anyone have the exact match rate or experience with the Irish med schools?

Hi:

I finished high school last year. I am planning to go to NUIG to complete the 6 year med school program. I was wondering how easy it is secure a family medicine residency in Canada. I've heard it is about 98% match rate. Does anyone have the exact match rate or experience with the Irish med schools?

Definitely not even close to 98%. 

Do you have EU or irish citizenship? Because if you don't then staying in Ireland is likely not an option, so you are at the whims of Canada to determine your chances for residency. There are many IMGs applying applying for the little spots available in Canada.

You have to take the MCCEE and NAC-OSCE, and score well on them. Really well. Then you're in the game and have a chance.

This is assuming of course nothing changes in the next 6-7 years that would further limit or hinder your ability to do residency in Canada.

There's the US also, but again, no way to know how the climate of post graduate education training will change there also.

Is it easy? No. Is it possible? Yes.  

You just have to be aware of the risks and take them if they fit your own thresholds.

It might be 98% for Canadian medical school grads applying to family. It will not be anywhere close to that for you.

For IMGs (which you will be) it's gonna be close to 40-50% based off somewhat old data. Some others will match to the US. A significant portion will not be able to secure a residency position (even after multiple attempts) and will effectively never be able to practice medicine. They still have to pay back the 300k+ debt they have though (so can be financially ruined unless they have some family money, rich spouse etc. to help pay it off).

What you are doing is risky and if you don't have 300-400k you could lose without concern, I would think twice about it. It's a huge gamble. There is no easy short cuts into medical school.

Google: CaRMS + CSAs. That will give you a report from the group that manages residency matching on the issues facing Canadians studying abroad and the match rates.

All this changes if you have EU citizenship however.

No, I don't have a citizenship. 

I really think you should look at CaRMS match rates for CSAs if you are planning on coming back to Canada to practice medicine. To be quite frank with you, going abroad is really not a viable option unless you go to the US or plan on staying where you get your medical degree and even then there are many countries which have restrictions which essentially throw you to the curb after taking your 100-300k. 

All this is why I really thing going the US route should be considered before other international choices. It is tempting to try to get some form of a head start - but there is always a barrier somewhere. It would be better if that barrier was well before you have to pay a few hundred thousand dollars in fees (and then not be able to pay it back).

Now close to 0% unfortunately. Most Canadian schools have rejected my friends who went to Ireland for med school claiming that they do not recognize, for example, RCSI, as a med school program. They can't do electives anywhere is Canada...if you want to come back and practice, US is your only hope. 

This is blatentley wrong lol.

Your friends simply told you that as a coping mechanism. I know RCSI grads who have matched no problem in CaRMS, and yes many of their peers who also didn't match.

It is definitely not 0%, but its not anywhere close to 100% either. 

And again, some irish students have gotten electives in Canada as well.  

So please, while I do not promote going abroad - presenting false information as fact is a no-no. 

Its akin to telling a kid that smoking is going to instantly kill you to deter them from smoking. Not only is it false, but you're not allowing them to make their own informed judgements based on real facts.

Archived