Premed 101 Forums

Moving To Another Province For Residency

Hey guys, still a quick question on filling out the 2017 Ontario and Federal Personal Tax Credit Return forms TD1

It is written for tuition fee that: 

4. Tuition and education amounts (full time and part time) – If you are a student enrolled at a university, college, or educational institution certified by Employment and Social Development Canada, and you will pay more than $100 per institution in tuition fees, fill in this section. If you are enrolled full time, or if you have a mental or physical disability and are enrolled part-time, enter the total of the tuition fees you will pay for the periods before September 5, 2017, plus $547 for each month before September 2017 that you will be enrolled. If you are enrolled part-time and do not have a mental or physical disability, enter the total of the tuition fees you will pay for the periods before September 5, 2017, plus $164 for each month before September 2017 that you will be enrolled part-time

Could I also add the tuition fees that I paid as a final year medical student?? (roughly around 7000 in Quebec), before September 5 2017, which means the school year of 2016-2017??

On my Federal and Quebec Provincial tax certificates issued by my school, the tuition fee is only calculated per the year of 2016 (Jan- December). Should I recalculate my tuition fees by adding the 2017 winter and summer semesters?

Thanks so much for your help guys, it is greatly appreciated.

Posting because I am super envious of your really cheap tuition...

As for your question - you can only claim the amounts within a calendar year, not academic year. I.e for 2016 taxes you include Jan 2016-Dec 2016 as displayed on your T2202A. The last half of your final year will go on your 2017 taxes.

Hey thanks!

Just to make sure for the 2017 personal tax credits return Ontario and Federal, can I still include my winter and summer 2017 tuition fees done in Quebec (January- July 2017, roughly 3000)?

I will also add the 700 UofT tuition fees.

The problem is that I don't have the official T2202 A tuition certificate issued by my home school in Quebec for the year of 2017 yet. I hope that it will work out with the revenue agency?

For what is worth, the Quebec Medical Residents are poorly paid, and only get meal tickets for each in-house call  :P

As for staff physicians, they are paid less (15-30%), but the cost of living is so low in Quebec..so not much complaining to do  :P

Hey thanks!

Just to make sure for the 2017 personal tax credits return Ontario and Federal, can I still include my winter and summer 2017 tuition fees done in Quebec (January- July 2017, roughly 3000)?

I will also add the 700 UofT tuition fees.

The problem is that I don't have the official T2202 A tuition certificate issued by my home school in Quebec for the year of 2017 yet. I hope that it will work out with the revenue agency?

For what is worth, the Quebec Medical Residents are poorly paid, and only get meal tickets for each in-house call  :P

As for staff physicians, they are paid less (15-30%), but the cost of living is so low in Quebec..so not much complaining to do  :P

I'm confused - are you talking about your 2016 income taxes? I.e. tax return due around this time but for last year's income? If so, you can't include anything from 2017 as credits. Only tuition you paid during the 2016 year. The tuition credits you paid for during 2017 will go on your 2017 tax return that you complete in the spring of 2018. That is why you don't have the T2202A for this amount yet.

Hey Schmitty. For some reason, the PGME UofToronto ask us to fill out the 2017 Personal Tax return forms (TD1ON and TD1) instead of 2016 ones..

I will call tomorrow and clarify. Perhaps a logistical error on their part!

I'm confused - are you talking about your 2016 income taxes? I.e. tax return due around this time but for last year's income? If so, you can't include anything from 2017 as credits. Only tuition you paid during the 2016 year. The tuition credits you paid for during 2017 will go on your 2017 tax return that you complete in the spring of 2018. That is why you don't have the T2202A for this amount yet.

Hey Schmitty. For some reason, the PGME UofToronto ask us to fill out the 2017 Personal Tax return forms (TD1ON and TD1) instead of 2016 ones..

I will call tomorrow and clarify. Perhaps a logistical error on their part!

Ooohhhhh this isn't your tax return - now I understand. This form is to determine how much, if any, your program need to take off of your paycheck for income tax. That is because they know many new residents have a lot of saved up credits and thus can choose to just not pay taxes, or lessen them, rather than have a big return the following year. In this case, then yes just estimate your tuition credits for 2017. It will all even out when you get your official T2202A and file a tax return next year (i.e. if you under pay, you will owe some, and vice versa).

Thank you so much!!! Sorry I typed so fast, it is the tax credit forms yeah!

I assume that as we pay 700 tuition fees to PGME Toronto, we are considered full-time students starting July?

As a medical student, I am totally dependent on my accountant for my tax returns lol. 

Best of luck to your start of medical residency, hopefully we might cross each others' path :)

Ooohhhhh this isn't your tax return - now I understand. This form is to determine how much, if any, your program need to take off of your paycheck for income tax. That is because they know many new residents have a lot of saved up credits and thus can choose to just not pay taxes, or lessen them, rather than have a big return the following year. In this case, then yes just estimate your tuition credits for 2017. It will all even out when you get your official T2202A and file a tax return next year (i.e. if you under pay, you will owe some, and vice versa).

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys a small quick question.

As LMCC approaching and the fact that I am going on family vacation right after LMCC, I wonder how in advance should we book with moving companies for the long-distance trip)?

Would booking a week in advance in June too risky to make sure that I get the weekends of Mid-June? I don't have a lot of staff as one-person, but would require a moving company for my beloved books, clothes, and some nice pieces of furniture. 

Also, anyone has some good companies to recommend (moving from Quebec to Ontario)? 

I should be focussing on LMCC now, but so many little things that I have to do before the trip ah :(

Aha no downside, The only downside is my apartment in Toronto asks for reservation of elevators for moving furniture, and I could only book those elevators starting June 1st (once my contract starts) So no guarantee, that I would get the dates I wanted. In the worst case, I will rent a storage unit in Toronto.

I really think that the Toronto rental market price has gone out of control, for a PGY-1, around 50% of our pay will go to rent, which is ridiculous. Well, I guess that it is the price one has to pay to live in Toronto! :rolleyes:

Is there a downside to booking now? You can call around and ask how early you need to book... I would imagine they would tell you earlier the better if you need a specific date... weekends and summer are prime moving dates, although mid-month is better than end of the month.

Ok well I am no expert at moving, but I think you would only need the elevator for a couple of hours, not a full day, and mid-month will not be as busy as end/beginning of the month... so I feel like it will be tougher to get the moving company than the elevator, but I could be wrong :) Unfortunately, I know many moving companies will ask for a deposit upfront as well.

The elevator probably won't be a huge issue. Frankly I've moved stuff in elevator buildings without booking the elevator.  Depends if there's an actual concierge or not, because if there is and they see you, they might not love it.  But if there isn't, just move away.  Plus it won't be too busy mid-month.

The companies that I get quotes from, ask for deposits upfront lol ;)

For the elevator, yeah, there is a 24/7 concierge & security guard upfront in the building. One reason that I want to move into my apartment around Mid-June, not to be in rush with all the movers.

Anyone has good moving companies to recommend? They all seem to offer the same price...

Thanks Ellorie and Lactic Folly! :P

Ok well I am no expert at moving, but I think you would only need the elevator for a couple of hours, not a full day, and mid-month will not be as busy as end/beginning of the month... so I feel like it will be tougher to get the moving company than the elevator, but I could be wrong :) Unfortunately, I know many moving companies will ask for a deposit upfront as well.

50% that's ridiculous...

To be fair, that will be for a nice to fancy condo close to downtown. If you are okay with subway to streetcar, you can find decent rentals for quite a bit less. It's just that many residents choose the bay/college corridor for convenience which is rather expensive.

To be fair, that will be for a nice to fancy condo close to downtown. If you are okay with subway to streetcar, you can find decent rentals for quite a bit less. It's just that many residents choose the bay/college corridor for convenience which is rather expensive.

and also to be fair when you are working 80-90 hour work weeks then convenience ha is something you may be more tempted to focus on :)

With the new law on housing market+ rental increase in Toronto, it should eventually get better. Or to the least extent, not to increase too high.

For renting an apartment, the  law states that no more than 2.5% annual increase in rent. :)

what is scary is that often extends beyond residency as of course the housing market there right now is insane

With the new law on housing market+ rental increase in Toronto, it should eventually get better. Or to the least extent, not to increase too high.

For renting an apartment, the  law states that no more than 2.5% annual increase in rent. :)

yeah with that restriction at least there is some ceiling on things.

as much as it will hurt hopefully there is be a "adjustment" to the prices at some point. Has happened in TO before. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys! I wonder if anyone has some good private health insurance plans & companies to recommend, for 3 months, it will be mainly for in-hospital services or for seeing my Family Physician in GTA? 

I will be moving to Ontario for residency from Quebec, and I won't have OHIP until 3 months (September).

The RAMQ ( Quebec Health Insurance) will only reimburse after that I paid the total amount myself, partially 40-60% (let's hope that I don't need major surgeries lol)

Thanks for your help!! :)  :)

Hey guys! I wonder if anyone has some good private health insurance plans & companies to recommend, for 3 months, it will be mainly for in-hospital services or for seeing my Family Physician in GTA? 

I will be moving to Ontario for residency from Quebec, and I won't have OHIP until 3 months (September).

The RAMQ ( Quebec Health Insurance) will only reimburse after that I paid the total amount myself, partially 40-60% (let's hope that I don't need major surgeries lol)

http://uhip.ca/ is what the fellows use.

I hate dealing with RAMQ (I practice in another province). Bastards never pay the amount of money I am owed when I treat one of their residents. Every other province pays the going rate for care in my province except Quebec.

• 2 weeks later...

Ohh most provinces or physicians don't accept RAMQ health cards, and Quebecers are required to pay all the expenses outfront, and be reimbursed by RAMQ later (for a hip & knee surgery, a Quebecer needs to pay 500$, whereas RAMQ reimburses 500$). We are reimbursed by how much physicians and health professionals are paid in Quebec, despite the higher cost of living and salary elsewhere.The reimbursement process could take up to a few months. I don't want to deal with this during my 3 months of OHIP waiting, in case something happens (hello, appendicitis  :P )

Anyone who has any good life insurance to recommend? I know that we get one with PARO, but it is only during residency. I want to explore life insurance plans while I am healthy and with no dependent! Thanks everyone :)

I hate dealing with RAMQ (I practice in another province). Bastards never pay the amount of money I am owed when I treat one of their residents. Every other province pays the going rate for care in my province except Quebec.

• 4 months later...
On 4/18/2017 at 1:33 AM, LittleDaisy said:

Hey guys a small quick question.

As LMCC approaching and the fact that I am going on family vacation right after LMCC, I wonder how in advance should we book with moving companies for the long-distance trip)?

Would booking a week in advance in June too risky to make sure that I get the weekends of Mid-June? I don't have a lot of staff as one-person, but would require a moving company for my beloved books, clothes, and some nice pieces of furniture. 

Also, anyone has some good companies to recommend (moving from Quebec to Ontario)? 

I should be focussing on LMCC now, but so many little things that I have to do before the trip ah :(

Hey
I know some moving companies. They are doing national and international moving services in Canada. I have sought their help once during my relocation in the last month. They are very efficient in the moving process. Hope they can help you. Thank you.

• 1 year later...
On 3/25/2019 at 9:51 AM, Cakob1 said:

If I have a furnished condo across the street from St. Michael’s hospital in Toronto that i’d like to make available for rent, to a fellow or a resident, where would be the best place to list it?

Hi!

Welcome to the forum!

You can browse this subforum: http://forums.premed101.com/forum/45-housing-classifieds/

Archived