Premed 101 Forums

Moving To Another Province For Residency

I matched to a different province than my home province and am confused about a few of the logistics. Are residents considered employees or students? The reason I ask this is, should I be trading in my license and health card to the province that I matched in? I hope to come back to my home province after residency so it would be easier in the long run to keep everything the same but then again, who knows what will happen in terms of fellowships etc.

I matched to a different province than my home province and am confused about a few of the logistics. Are residents considered employees or students? The reason I ask this is, should I be trading in my license and health card to the province that I matched in? I hope to come back to my home province after residency so it would be easier in the long run to keep everything the same but then again, who knows what will happen in terms of fellowships etc.

you are both actually - you are mostly an employee but Canada revenue service does recognize you as a full time student as well. The issue is that no one else will (ahem OSAP).

actually the tax advantages of being full time will probably vanish soon anyway as the new government is remodelling things. Likely the tax credits we are used to will disappear going forward.

most do have to eventually switch over things to the new province.

I'm assuming I can keep my bank cards and credit cards if my bank exists in the province I'm moving to.

Here's what I found for drivers license: http://designmymove.com/exchanging-your-drivers-license-within-canada/

For example I'm moving to Ontario so I can legally drive with my current license for 60 days, after which I have to change it!

They also have a more general article:

http://designmymove.com/moving-from-one-province-to-another-what-you-need-to-know/

I continued my Alberta health care coverage while in medical school (in Ontario) and then changed to Ontario when I matched.

When I was in Alberta, they used to make me sign declarations and such to maintain my health coverage while I was studying.  It's honestly a bit easier just to have everything in the province where you're physically residing.  

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know what I have to do about my prescriptions? When I move to another province, can they still transfer an existing Rx or shall I get a new one? Will the pharmacy accept a prescription from a doctor from another province? Thanks!

yes, very easy and not a probable. However, you will have to pay in cash for the prescriptions and then file back in your home province for a reimbursement. 

At least QC vs other province it worked that way while I did an elective in QC and had to refill a Rx

Is that the case?  When I was living in Quebec, my physician told me that I could not take a prescription written by her with me to Ontario when I moved to Ontario, because not being licensed in Ontario meant she could not prescribe there.

• 4 months later...

A former pharmacist here, and current medical student  :)

Yes any prescription written by a Canadian physician can be filled in any province in Canada to the best of my knowledge. There are restrictions with regards to targeted, control, and narcotic prescriptions but for anything else it should not be an issue. The pharmacist may decide to call an out of province physician's office to verify the prescription so give yourself a little extra time, but it really shouldn't be an issue. 

• 5 months later...

Keep your moving receipts (moving company, gas, hotels, meals, boxes, packing tape etc.). You can claim it come tax time next year provided you meet the minimum distance requirements.

About this...if we are moving across the country for residency and flying there. Is the flight ticket tax deductible as well?

About this...if we are moving across the country for residency and flying there. Is the flight ticket tax deductible as well?

Not sure because we drove. You could look on the CRA website to check. Or just get an accountant to do your taxes next year. I would imagine it is, but I'm not an accountant.

Hey guys moving to Toronto for residency, from the lovely province of Quebec.

Anyone knows if it is easy to find a GP in GTArea? As a medical resident, do we have faster access to family physicians? In Quebec, we do have this service. Could we already sign up on the waiting list for finding a GP??? If anyone could shed light on this, it would be greatly appreciated :)

The reason that I am asking, because my GP told me that her Rx prescriptions won't be valid in Ontario. I will go to my local pharmacy and ask.

2) Any good moving companies to suggest between Quebec-Toronto? 

Hey guys moving to Toronto for residency, from the lovely province of Quebec.

Anyone knows if it is easy to find a GP in GTArea? As a medical resident, do we have faster access to family physicians? In Quebec, we do have this service. Could we already sign up on the waiting list for finding a GP??? If anyone could shed light on this, it would be greatly appreciated :)

The reason that I am asking, because my GP told me that her Rx prescriptions won't be valid in Ontario. I will go to my local pharmacy and ask.

2) Any good moving companies to suggest between Quebec-Toronto?

I get my Montreal GP's Rx filled at my Ottawa Shoppers Drug Mart currently with no issues :) but yes there is a program by PARO to help residents get GPs. Haven't used it, but you're just supposed to email them.

Thanks feversugar, I will look into it for the PARO GP program

For your Montreal GP's Rx, do you have to pay in Ontario? I am currently with the public RAMQ drug plan, and all my Rx are covered (under 25 and no private plans). I guess that my R1 salary will surely help :)  I will go see my GP before my big move, and ask her if possible for a few months Rx prescription (time for me to find a new GP in GTA), terrible GERD lol :P

How did you manage to move between Ottawa-Montreal? I assume by driving and delivery company (Greyhound)?

Thanks so much for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

I get my Montreal GP's Rx filled at my Ottawa Shoppers Drug Mart currently with no issues :) but yes there is a program by PARO to help residents get GPs. Haven't used it, but you're just supposed to email them.

For your Montreal GP's Rx, do you have to pay in Ontario? I am currently with the public RAMQ drug plan, and all my Rx are covered (under 25 and no private plans). I guess that my R1 salary will surely help :) I will go see my GP before my big move, and ask her if possible for a few months Rx prescription (time for me to find a new GP in GTA), terrible GERD lol :P

How did you manage to move between Ottawa-Montreal? I assume by driving and delivery company (Greyhound)?

No! You get private group insurance as a resident, it's great! I don't have to pay anything at all for my monthly OCP. I'm also going to have my Ottawa pharmacy fax my Montreal GP for the next renewal as well, they told me it wouldn't be a problem! In my case, I called the RAMQ and was allowed to keep my RAMQ and Quebec drivers license because I intend to go back after residency and because I go back home every two weeks or so (I'm just too lazy to do the paperwork to switch over lol). My situation is also slightly different because some ottawa hospitals straight up accept RAMQ cards (presumably due to proximity with Gatineau).

My family and I rented a U-Haul and moved everything ourselves. We had two other cars and were 8 people altogether! The only big pieces I had to bring over were my bed and desk though. Went to ikea after with the truck and bought all the rest.

Don't you have to switch your Quebec Driver's license once in Ontario?? I assume that you could keep Ontario and Quebec IP status?

As someone on probatory license, I do believe that I have to retake the driving test in Ontario, sign lol :P I already tried too hard to pass the Quebec Driver test

Thank you so much feversugar, for your patience and kindness :)

No! You get private group insurance as a resident, it's great! I don't have to pay anything at all for my monthly OCP. I'm also going to have my Ottawa pharmacy fax my Montreal GP for the next renewal as well, they told me it wouldn't be a problem! In my case, I called the RAMQ and was allowed to keep my RAMQ and Quebec drivers license because I intend to go back after residency and because I go back home every two weeks or so (I'm just too lazy to do the paperwork to switch over lol). My situation is also slightly different because some ottawa hospitals straight up accept RAMQ cards (presumably due to proximity with Gatineau).

My family and I rented a U-Haul and moved everything ourselves. We had two other cars and were 8 people altogether! The only big pieces I had to bring over were my bed and desk though. Went to ikea after with the truck and bought all the rest.

To be completely honest I didn't ask a lot of questions about the license because I'm the oddball that doesn't have s car during residency. In fact, the only time I do drive is when i go home to Montreal and borrow my dads car... maybe someone else can help you in this case. I know that other people have said that to get your license exchanged you physically have to go in person to the Driver Center during the day so you pretty much have to go post call or take a morning off. Too much hassle for something I don't use!

Don't you have to switch your Quebec Driver's license once in Ontario?? I assume that you could keep Ontario and Quebec IP status?

As someone on probatory license, I do believe that I have to retake the driving test in Ontario, sign lol :P I already tried too hard to pass the Quebec Driver test

Thank you so much feversugar, for your patience and kindness :)

For your Montreal GP's Rx, do you have to pay in Ontario? I am currently with the public RAMQ drug plan, and all my Rx are covered (under 25 and no private plans). I guess that my R1 salary will surely help :)  I will go see my GP before my big move, and ask her if possible for a few months Rx prescription (time for me to find a new GP in GTA), terrible GERD lol :P

If you fill the script before July 1st, you'll have to pay out of pocket (unless RAMQ will pick up any of it).  On July 1st, your supplemental benefits through the hospital will kick in and they will pay for it.

I got my GP through word of mouth but you can also call Health Care Connect.

Hey guys, as I am filling out the UofT PGME forms for registration.

For the 2017 Ontario TD1ON Personal Tax Credits Return  and Federal tax forms, they all ask to fill out the:

4. Tuition and education amounts (full time and part time) – If you are a student enrolled at a university, college, or educational institution certified by Employment and Social Development Canada, and you will pay more than $100 per institution in tuition fees, fill in this section. If you are enrolled full time, or if you have a mental or physical disability and are enrolled part-time, enter the total of the tuition fees you will pay for the periods before September 5, 2017, plus $547 for each month before September 2017 that you will be enrolled. If you are enrolled part-time and do not have a mental or physical disability, enter the total of the tuition fees you will pay for the periods before September 5, 2017, plus $164 for each month before September 2017 that you will be enrolled part-time

Do I simply fill out how much tuition I am paying as a R1 resident in Ontario for tuition? The thing is that I don't know how much I will be paying for tuition as a R1 ? any help? thanks :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, still a quick question on filling out the 2017 Ontario and Federal Personal Tax Credit Return forms TD1

It is written for tuition fee that: 

4. Tuition and education amounts (full time and part time) – If you are a student enrolled at a university, college, or educational institution certified by Employment and Social Development Canada, and you will pay more than $100 per institution in tuition fees, fill in this section. If you are enrolled full time, or if you have a mental or physical disability and are enrolled part-time, enter the total of the tuition fees you will pay for the periods before September 5, 2017, plus $547 for each month before September 2017 that you will be enrolled. If you are enrolled part-time and do not have a mental or physical disability, enter the total of the tuition fees you will pay for the periods before September 5, 2017, plus $164 for each month before September 2017 that you will be enrolled part-time

Could I also add the tuition fees that I paid as a final year medical student?? (roughly around 7000 in Quebec), before September 5 2017, which means the school year of 2016-2017??

On my Federal and Quebec Provincial tax certificates issued by my school, the tuition fee is only calculated per the year of 2016 (Jan- December). Should I recalculate my tuition fees by adding the 2017 winter and summer semesters?

Thanks so much for your help guys, it is greatly appreciated.

Archived