Premed 101 Forums

Mcat Scoring

• 6 months later...

I honestly dont know how to comment on Dal's scoring system.  The MCAT is only 10 points and is usually 4 months of work combined with a lot of luck on which version you get vs a whole undergrad that is 4 years work and is worth 15 points?  Altogether, the most objectives parameters are just 25 points out of 100.....

Also, what is with that 5 points that are left blank and up for the admissions to decide????

Interesting stuff......

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Spoke to someone on the phone:

503-504 = 6/10

505-510=7/10

511-516=8/10

517-522=9/10

523+=10/10

Goodluck! 

Is this for this year? So close to a 9 :( 

I honestly dont know how to comment on Dal's scoring system.  The MCAT is only 10 points and is usually 4 months of work combined with a lot of luck on which version you get vs a whole undergrad that is 4 years work and is worth 15 points?  Altogether, the most objectives parameters are just 25 points out of 100.....

Also, what is with that 5 points that are left blank and up for the admissions to decide????

Interesting stuff......

Arguable - MCAT puts everyone on an even field. GPA in 4 years heavily influenced by your major, your university, your course choices, etc etc. I think the MCAT is a better assessor of intellectual ability, critical thinking, academic skills or whatever it is that they're looking for wrt grades. 

It doesn't matter what you get out of 10 for your MCAT score since everybody had to write the "NEW" MCAT. Your actually score out of 10 makes no difference to the "real" score that admissions uses to determine who gets accepted. The scores are standardized afterwards. 

For Example: Lets say I had a 510 on the MCAT and I received a score of 7/10. This is not actually what I get on my final application score (which you will never actually see). They normalize the scores to determine your real score out of 10. If the average MCAT score was 7/10, then 7/10 would get you 5 points for your overall score. If the average was 8/10, then your score of 7 would get you less than 5 points for the category. If the average was only 5/10, then a score of 7 would get you considerably more than 5 points for the category.

I hope this helps because if you are not accepted, the scores they give you are just for your information to let you know what categories you could try and improve in. 

It doesn't matter what you get out of 10 for your MCAT score since everybody had to write the "NEW" MCAT. Your actually score out of 10 makes no difference to the "real" score that admissions uses to determine who gets accepted. The scores are standardized afterwards. 

For Example: Lets say I had a 510 on the MCAT and I received a score of 7/10. This is not actually what I get on my final application score (which you will never actually see). They normalize the scores to determine your real score out of 10. If the average MCAT score was 7/10, then 7/10 would get you 5 points for your overall score. If the average was 8/10, then your score of 7 would get you less than 5 points for the category. If the average was only 5/10, then a score of 7 would get you considerably more than 5 points for the category.

I hope this helps because if you are not accepted, the scores they give you are just for your information to let you know what categories you could try and improve in. 

How do we get this information? 

This was explained to me when I phoned in two years. They use your z-score in each category to determine your actual points that they use for admission, the score they release is only for your information. If you are not accepted and get waitlisted with a score of 70, you could be accepted before someone with a score of 71 because those are not the scores they use after calculating your z-scores in each category.  If you are in-province and you do not get accepted, you can get a phone feedback in April. I would do this is you are not accepted. I found it extremely helpful and was accepted this past year.

This was explained to me when I phoned in two years. They use your z-score in each category to determine your actual points that they use for admission, the score they release is only for your information. If you are not accepted and get waitlisted with a score of 70, you could be accepted before someone with a score of 71 because those are not the scores they use after calculating your z-scores in each category.  If you are in-province and you do not get accepted, you can get a phone feedback in April. I would do this is you are not accepted. I found it extremely helpful and was accepted this past year.

Thanks... I am OOP , can I still get feedback?

Archived