Premed 101 Forums

Is It Insane To Turn Down Your Only Medical School Offer?

PM333

I do understand that and I haven't thought seriously about turning down an offer (haven't even got any offers from either school). But my concern is I might not be able to be the type of doctor I want to in a third year program because I will have less time for electives so I guess it's not about being a doctor or which med but instead, being the type of doctor I want to be

Sorry to tell you this, it is about being a doctor or not being a doctor. Graduates of these schools do just fine and are not lesser doctors as a result of their undergraduate training.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Recently applied to medical schools (not many because of poor MCAT). the more i think about it, the more I regret not being able to apply to more. I interviewed at two schools but I know that my application, aside from MCAT would have allowed me to have more interviews and possibly a bigger variety of schools to choose from at the end of the day. 

If I do get into a school this year, is it unheard off to decline the offer in favor of taking a year off to apply the following year. It's just so upsetting that MCAT is holding me back from my full range of schools to choose from. 

I have yet to hear back from any schools but I just feel really down on myself. I don't want to be picky and take a year off but also don't want to be forced to go to a school that might not be the best fit for me (eg. a three year program where I don't think I'll be able to have my best shot at the specialty of my choosing) 

Does anyone feel the same way or have any advice to offer? 

If the school you were referring to is Mac, they have the option of letting you do a 4th year. You basically spend it doing research and/or electives and its perfect for anyone going for something like ophthalmology where research is important or for those applying to the states, essentially it gives you way more elective time than any other school since you can spend up to 40% of your research year doing clinical electives and you can take it at any time before CaRMS. 

Otherwise though Mac had a 98% match rate after only 1st round this year, the match rate certainly is not any worse and at 98% its certainly better actually.  

I'm sure much of the same is for Calgary as well. 

I do understand that and I haven't thought seriously about turning down an offer (haven't even got any offers from either school). But my concern is I might not be able to be the type of doctor I want to in a third year program because I will have less time for electives so I guess it's not about being a doctor or which med but instead, being the type of doctor I want to be

First off, I think you are putting the cart in front of the horse. I don't think you should even be considering this until you actually get an acceptance. If you're unable to get an acceptance then all of this stress and thought was for nothing and a waste of your time and mental resources. Secondly, if you're worried about a 3 year program not being sufficient enough for you to become the doctor you plan on being, then why would you apply to those schools in the first place? Example; I would never attend a school in the Caribbean because I am aware of the difficulty of coming back and practicing in Canada, therefore I would never waste my time and money on applying to those schools. Lastly, you may believe you know what type of doctor you want to be, however, you will only be sure once you do your clerk rotations and actually find out what the specialty is all about. To have these types of concerns before you even really know what type of doctor you'd like to be, in my opinion, is quite silly.    

I'm not sure they could really stop you - might lose a big deposit though (and not help your reputation).  In this case, I'm not sure if the reasons would be convincing anyways.

Uh yes, they could - just revoke your spot.

Its a privilege not a game of "lets hold this spot while i go for a different one".  

That and if you do get a deferred admission - it would most definitely not be for you to apply elsewhere. It would be for things like finishing something else perhaps, or health reasons etc. 

I think that the OP is thinking this way as a way to cope with the idea of not getting in. If and when they don't get an acceptance, they can turn around and say, "Oh well, I would have declined it anyways because ...". Either that or they really are not that interested in becoming a doctor and are having second thoughts. I know from my own experience that even if I got into my absolute last choice of school in Canada that there is no question that I would accept and go. I assume that anyone who truly wants to be a doctor can agree with me.   

I think that the OP is thinking this way as a way to cope with the idea of not getting in. If and when they don't get an acceptance, they can turn around and say, "Oh well, I would have declined it anyways because ...". Either that or they really are not that interested in becoming a doctor and are having second thoughts. I know from my own experience that even if I got into my absolute last choice of school in Canada that there is no question that I would accept and go. I assume that anyone who truly wants to be a doctor can agree with me.   

100% agree. I think your anyone who truly wants to be a doctor, exceptional personal/family circumstances aside, would be thrilled to accept any school they applied to if they received only one offer. People spend years, do second undergrads, masters, move provinces, all for one letter at any Canadian school. To throw it all away because of a perceived disadvantageous in Carms is ridiculous, in my opinion.

Why apply if you wouldn't go? And why attend the interview? I know I wouldn't pay 400K for a US school, so I didn't apply.... 

So you're saying that either's it's medicine or a low-skill job?

I'm saying that anybody who turns down the only acceptance received to attend a medical school in Canada does not deserve another chance; and that with such a flawed decision making ability, such person likely would not achieve success in any professional endeavour. So, what are the alternative for employment if this is the case? 

I'm saying that anybody who turns down the only acceptance received to attend a medical school in Canada does not deserve another chance; and that with such a flawed decision making ability, such person likely would not achieve success in any professional endeavour. So, what are the alternative for employment if this is the case? 

But we don't have any background information about this person to make these assumptions.  What other factors are at play that could be affecting their decision making? Anxiety, external pressure from family members. Who knows. You're simply going to write them off?

Where is your compassion for others? Everyone has their $hit, everyone has a different way of dealing with it.

The OP asks if it is insane to turn down an offer to medical school because he would have preferred to apply more broadly to other medical schools. Well, the short answer, using the OP's langauge and not mine, is that it is insane. Of course, the OP is anxious and wishes he had applied to more schools but what does this change? I believe this is not about compassion, rather harsh reality. 

Hey friend. Cross that bridge when you get there. I think it's very premature to say, since we haven't even received acceptance letters yet. Also, I find that a lot of my friends who have gotten in have changed their minds as to what specialities they want. So if you're secretly romanticizing for a speciality, be prepared to possibly switch. I think it's a bit hasty. IMHO, I think declining is a bad idea because I would probably snag that spot and not be picky. That being said, we all have different circumstances.

All medical schools in Canada are pretty good. They each have their strengths and their weaknesses, but the training will be similar wherever you go.

You might never get accepted anywhere else, so if you get an acceptance, you should go for it - hundreds of people would want nothing more than to be in your shoes!

• 3 months later...

I almost turned down my offer. However it wasn't to go to a better medical school but to pursue something else instead.

I would say that unless you have some significant factor that prevents you from enrolling (family issues etc) I would enroll if your desire is to study and practice medicine.Most, if not all, medical schools in Canada are excellent and you'll have plenty of opportunities to pursue medicine there.

Recently applied to medical schools (not many because of poor MCAT). the more i think about it, the more I regret not being able to apply to more. I interviewed at two schools but I know that my application, aside from MCAT would have allowed me to have more interviews and possibly a bigger variety of schools to choose from at the end of the day. 

If I do get into a school this year, is it unheard off to decline the offer in favor of taking a year off to apply the following year. It's just so upsetting that MCAT is holding me back from my full range of schools to choose from. 

I have yet to hear back from any schools but I just feel really down on myself. I don't want to be picky and take a year off but also don't want to be forced to go to a school that might not be the best fit for me (eg. a three year program where I don't think I'll be able to have my best shot at the specialty of my choosing) 

Does anyone feel the same way or have any advice to offer? 

DUDE I have the perfect solution for you. Call your school and DEFER your admission to the following year!!!!

That way, if you don't get into a better school next year, you'll still be able to go to whichever school you get into this year :D

DUDE I have the perfect solution for you. Call your school and DEFER your admission to the following year!!!!

That way, if you don't get into a better school next year, you'll still be able to go to whichever school you get into this year :D

I hear that if you defer, you are not allowed to apply to any other school. They are holding a spot for you instead of handing it to someone else who would gladly take the seat. If you drop the spot to go to another school, I believe it is against policy and may affect your future. Don't quote me.

Archived