Premed 101 Forums

U Of T Pa Applicants 2016

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of my experience is in medical research but I have no idea how they view that... anyone know?

I'm currently in the class of 2017 and there are a few of my classmates that fitted in the medical research as their healthcare experience, i would say the common factor they shared is that they all had significant patient facing responsibilities i.e blood draws, in person surveys or physical assessments. I don't know how they will view you individually but I don't see why you wouldn't be competitive.

I'm currently in the class of 2017 and there are a few of my classmates that fitted in the medical research as their healthcare experience, i would say the common factor they shared is that they all had significant patient facing responsibilities i.e blood draws, in person surveys or physical assessments. I don't know how they will view you individually but I don't see why you wouldn't be competitive.

Hi relaxingbath,

Would you mind telling us a bit about the program? How do you find the distance education? I was originally a bit nervous but I'm currently taking an online course through U of T and I actually love the format. Additionally, are you doing many clinical hours in your first year? I'm trying to decide which city to live in for first year, and I know they don't have any clinical locations in London. 

Thanks for any insight you can provide, and congrats on getting in!  :)

Hi adiddaw,

If i was to describe the program in 1 word it would be "intense", just finishing up second semester and finding that I have less and less free time (I have been told by previous years that 2nd semester is by far the hardest.). The distance education has some pros and cons, the biggest pro is that you can work at your own pace and have freedom to study around the mandatory synchronous sessions the biggest con is that you can end up feeling isolated long hours and little interaction with classmates outside of online sessions can wear you down.

In first year the clinical hours are called LCE longitudinal Clinical experience which involves finding and shadowing health care professionals (Tuesdays are protected days for this though you can do them any time that doesn't conflict with synchronous sessions). This can be difficult as in certain areas it means cold calling and seeing if a physician will let you follow them, it has taught me how to quickly explain what a PA does as well as what is expected out of an LCE. You are to complete 30-40 hours a semester and while this doesn't sound like much it is easily double this when you take into account writing up each experience as well as the time taken to arrange it.

Second year is where the big clinical rotations start, they are split into 5 months up north and 5 months in your home location (it can be either way around) the university does the arranging for this however if you have a preceptor in mind then it can be arranged. I know of 2 previous PA students from around the London area and they where able to do placements there as well as out towards goderich.

Good luck in your application and feel free to ask any more questions.

Relaxingbath

Hi adiddaw,

If i was to describe the program in 1 word it would be "intense", just finishing up second semester and finding that I have less and less free time (I have been told by previous years that 2nd semester is by far the hardest.). The distance education has some pros and cons, the biggest pro is that you can work at your own pace and have freedom to study around the mandatory synchronous sessions the biggest con is that you can end up feeling isolated long hours and little interaction with classmates outside of online sessions can wear you down.

In first year the clinical hours are called LCE longitudinal Clinical experience which involves finding and shadowing health care professionals (Tuesdays are protected days for this though you can do them any time that doesn't conflict with synchronous sessions). This can be difficult as in certain areas it means cold calling and seeing if a physician will let you follow them, it has taught me how to quickly explain what a PA does as well as what is expected out of an LCE. You are to complete 30-40 hours a semester and while this doesn't sound like much it is easily double this when you take into account writing up each experience as well as the time taken to arrange it.

Second year is where the big clinical rotations start, they are split into 5 months up north and 5 months in your home location (it can be either way around) the university does the arranging for this however if you have a preceptor in mind then it can be arranged. I know of 2 previous PA students from around the London area and they where able to do placements there as well as out towards goderich.

Good luck in your application and feel free to ask any more questions.

Relaxingbath

Thanks so much for the information. I do have one more question. How is accommodation arranged for the residential blocks? 

During residential blocks you have to arrange and pay for your own accommodation if necessary. It is only during 2nd years swap that you have pre-arranged accommodation (you can choose to arrange your own however if it is within a specified budget). This does not apply while doing placement in your home location during 2nd year. I don't yet have all the details as they will be filled in within the coming months for my year.

I do know that many of my class mates that move to Toronto for the residential block arrange their own through AirBnB.

Last year they interviewed 2 groups of 30, a morning group and an afternoon group. They have 30 place avaliable on the program so once you reach the MMI stage you have a 50/50 chance. I am unsure if there is different numbers this year. Good luck and congratulations on the interview invites.

Archived