Premed 101 Forums

Chances? 2Nd Degree

Hello,

I currently have a H.BSc in Biology however my gpa from it was quite low (2.5) I had a lot of personal stuff going on for the first bit and towards the end started to pull together. After school I graduated and got myself a good job in the medical field working with surgeons on a daily basis. I am thinking of starting in September and doing a 2nd degree... what are my chances of getting in with a second degree? I know and have full confidence my second time around I will be able to do well. I also think I would be able to get good references, have lots of volunteer hours, etc. Born and raised in the North. Has anyone gotten in off of second degree? What degrees do most people take? Does anybody know anyone who got in with a degree that was fully online?

Sorry for all the questions!

Hey! First of all good job on thinking about doing a second degree. I myself did a second B.Sc. from Lakehead university. I just interviewed in April. There are many school where you can do a degree online.

If you less than 25 years old, NOSM requires you to have a 4 year degree for them to consider the gpa from it. If you are 25 or older, they accept a 3 year degree. NOSM only counts the gpa on the newly completed courses, not transfered courses (if you are able to transfer any).

In my opinion, you have the same chances of getting in even if you have 2 degrees. I have read on this forum of a few individuals getting in after doing a second degree.

Make sure you research a bunch of different schools for online degrees. Athabasca is a popular one, i did mine at lakehead.

Hope this answers your questions.

In my opinion, you have the same chances of getting in even if you have 2 degrees. I have read on this forum of a few individuals getting in after doing a second degree.

I would further add that NOSM will use the GPA of the degree with the HIGHER GPA, if you have two undergrads. So I think it would definitely be worth it to do a second degree. A master's would only bump you to 2.7, so this is unfortunately not a great option for you. Best of luck!

Two years ago prior to setting out on completing my second degree I sent NOSM a number of emails asking the very questions that you are asking now. Before I started I was very discouraged due to the amount of misinformation out there regarding second degrees Furthermore I was very discouraged because with some schools like McMaster you can never escape first degree marks. I was pleased to find out that NOSM does not treat a second degree any differently than a first, in the sense that they do not look down upon individuals who are applying with a second degree regardless of their performance in their first degree. They will take the higher GPA out of the two, and if you are 25+ you can use a 3 year degree for calculation. Like you, I had a 2.5 GPA coming out of my first UG, and I didn't really think I woujld ever amount to anything academically. I am finishing up my second degree with a 3.92. It is definitely doable, however it came with it's own unique challenges that aren't typically associated with a first degree, it was a long haul and the neuroticism over grades has taken a definite toll. I also asked about online degree, and they do not care if you pursue your degree online, part-time, during the summer, or at a traditional bricks and morter university. I completed my second degree through a mix of distance education/ in class courses. Coming out of my first UG I had absolutely no academic references, and thus felt it necessary to at least attend some classes in person to establish those connections with professors. Just something to keep in mind. It's very difficult (albeit not impossible) to establish those connections VIA online learning, and online learning carries with it it's own set of frustrations/ challenges. As to what degree you should take, whatever you will be able to get the highest grades in, typically something that you are passionate about. You also may wish to think about the added value that a second degree might provide for a backup plan, or lifelong career development.

Good luck, if you have any questions please don't hesitate to PM me as I am going down the exact same path. (From rural NO and started with a 2.5 in first UG)

• 2 weeks later...

Many people in my class it seems either have a second degree or a master's. Many, many folks have a second degree (a Stat that isn't on the admission profiles). You cannot go wrong with a second degree it may be your only chance with a low GPA and nosm is kind enough to only look at the degree you do better in.

Also if your first degree doesn't meet a minimum of 3.0, you are automatically disqualified even if your masters would bring you to a 3.0 (eg if your GPA on your first degree was 2.8).

Thus if you got a second degree and did much better, it would be infinitely more useful a strategy than getting a master's.

• 4 months later...

so second degree applicants are no longer eligible with NOSM? 

Also if your first degree doesn't meet a minimum of 3.0, you are automatically disqualified even if your masters would bring you to a 3.0 (eg if your GPA on your first degree was 2.8).

Thus if you got a second degree and did much better, it would be infinitely more useful a strategy than getting a master's.

Archived