Premed 101 Forums

High Yield Topics To Read Upon During M1 Summer?

What are some of the highest yield topics to read upon during summer? I don't want to completely slack off but don't know if re-reading lectures would be high yield. 

Was thinking about maybe radiology made ridiculous simple or something like that??

Doesn't have to be specific to one specialty, just better preparation for M2/Clerkship?? 

First Aid for USMLE Step 1 or Step 2 CS if you are preparing for clerkship and have a solid knowledge/skill base.

Or First Aid series for individual specialties (eg. med, surg etc) or Case Files.

If you can read through any of the above book series you'll be a redhot superstar in clerkship.

What are some of the highest yield topics to read upon during summer? I don't want to completely slack off but don't know if re-reading lectures would be high yield. 

Was thinking about maybe radiology made ridiculous simple or something like that??

Doesn't have to be specific to one specialty, just better preparation for M2/Clerkship?? 

Travel-Guides.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

M1 UBC ends exams 3rd week of April, then goes into 6 weeks of "research" until late May. Then June/July/August off until 3rd week of August.

Some people have really relaxed research projects, or are doing service trip type projects etc, so its essentially vacation but still being somewhat productive.

I agree with a bit of light reading amongst loafting. Sometimes I wish I had summers just so I could read more on topics that I have to gloss over otherwise.

Learning radiology is a much better book than radiology MRS. It's a light read and I finished it during 2 weeks of afternoons in a rads elective. Has helped me go from "wtf is this" to "oh, yep, makes sense." (The nonreading part of the rads elective was very low yield otherwise).

Another one I would read about is EKGs (Dubin), and any field you won't rotate through, topics you won't otherwise have time to dedicate to (knot tying for instance, would be nice to be able to tie knots with either hand).

Save the more clinically oriented books for your rotations.

Another one I would read about is EKGs (Dubin), and any field you won't rotate through, topics you won't otherwise have time to dedicate to (knot tying for instance, would be nice to be able to tie knots with either hand).

You don't need to know how to tie knots with either hand. I never tie left handed.

Archived