Premed 101 Forums

May 10 Support Thread

Well, we are almost two weeks away from D-day. How is everyone holding up? Looks like a support threadhasn`t been started yet this year for Ontario yet so I thought I`d take a go at it.

How is everyone keeping busy between now and May 10? Do you guys have a plan in place for the day of or before? Have we all contemplated all possible outcomes at this point?

I hope this thread will help all of us support each other in the last two weeks of this difficult and grueling process that started nearly 7 months ago now for first-timers like me and potentially even longer than this for others (I admire you guys...I keep reminding myself if it`s not a positive outcome, I know I will be persistent and hopefully that will pay off). We are all going through this together and it gives me some solace to know that I am not alone.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly been feeling kind of indifferent towards it all for a while...I'd actually like a year to work. 

Feels like everything just happened so fast and I'm not even sure I care what happens on May 10th.

No longer being on the interview trail and having final exams done was a huge relief.

It's nice to not have the pre-med anxiety looming over me now that I'm done undergrad.

I'm keeping busy by working full time in a research lab (gearing up for my fourth-year thesis if I'm unsuccessful) and I'm going to repaint my parents' kitchen...maybe also the family room. I may also instal new flooring. I get ambitious in my distractions (today I scrubbed down the entire house). 

The day before I will be working.

The day of I will be at home. My mom decided to take the day off with me and we will probably drink wine out on the patio or go hiking or something.  I'm open to suggestions if anyone has better ideas.

I have been growing a post interview beard. I can't grow facial hair well so it looks pretty greasy. Does anyone know what time acceptances come out? I was thinking about going to work in the morning, but I will take it off if the acceptances come out early

I have my first full two weeks off in over 4 years.....I'm both excited and scared I won't know what to do after 3 days. May 10th will be my orientation at my new job....hoping I can hold my emotions in either way so they don't question hiring me :P

Although I can't really complain, Dal sent out their decisions in March which definitely takes the edge off May 10th. At least we have a set day for this! Dal was two weeks of panic/mild nausea every time I got an email

Best of luck to everyone :)

I have been growing a post interview beard. I can't grow facial hair well so it looks pretty greasy. Does anyone know what time acceptances come out? I was thinking about going to work in the morning, but I will take it off if the acceptances come out early

Varies by the school. I had both of mine before 10am last year, but other years it has been in the afternoon for some schools.

Considering the tendency for Ottawa, the chances are that the offers will come out in the morning (although I can't confirm that, obviously). My offer's timestamp for last year was 7:26am. 

I'm keeping myself busy with work and a bunch of video games I haven't been able to play this year. I plan on tiring myself out on the 9th so I sleep in on the 10th and hopefully wake up to the e-mails. Took the 10th off from work too because I decided that's not where I want to be when I get a decision  :P

Currently working on my MSc thesis, which has been a decent distraction. Have to be in lab on May 10th but I feel like the people around me will be super supportive if the decision doesn't go my way this time. T-15 days!

Preach. Not that I think I'm a lock for admission, but I'm much more stressed about finishing grad school than getting into med. Probably because grad school is actually something I can meaningfully impact at this point.

So for me, I didn't take May 10 off from work...instead I asked to work an earlier shift so that I'll be off at a decent hour and can go home and open my email in peace. The thinking is I will have enough self control to stay away from going to the coffeehouse during my lunch break where there is wi-fi. I am going to try to find things to do and bury myself in so much work that I can't leave my office during lunch. Email isn't accessible from my work computer so I can't do anything about checking email even if I'm tempted during working hours. Thankfully. 

I did, however, take May 11 off because I figured I would need the day after decisions incase things don't go my way. I don't think I can be happy at work and smile if I am just feeling so devastated inside. If the best scenario happens, then I guess I can celebrate but I'm not making any plans. The ramdomness that is this process is kind of crazy sometimes. We'll see how this plan works out.

Time is going slowly. Like Sanam, I am excited to get back into the academic life. I've only been out for a few years, but I miss school and the challenge of learning something new in a fast-paced environment. My work is challenging in a different way but I get bored unless I'm always learning something new.

Hang in there!

It could be an interesting/fun exercise to write down how you're feeling in the coming days. You can look back on that if you ever need inspiration later on in life. It was suggested by somebody else on pm101 during the year that I got in, and I still have the document.

Thanks Savac, that's a great suggestion! I don't know if I have enough discipline to record all my thoughts on this or even really want to sift through all of them, but I think in theory this would be a really good way to spend my time when I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by it all. Sometimes, I think back to the interview and the underlying anxiety I felt I think made it really hard to think clearly when reading those questions outside the doors (I don't show it at all, but inside I'm just a very anxiety prone person and it clouds my thoughts)--and as much as everyone just says be yourself (which I think is great advice) it's really tough to be yourself when your mind isn't able to just let your heart take the reigns. I do, thinking back to some stations, feel that are things I feel are positive about me that just may not have come through because of this, but oh well, no point in thinking too much about that so I try not to!

Thanks Savac, that's a great suggestion! I don't know if I have enough discipline to record all my thoughts on this or even really want to sift through all of them, but I think in theory this would be a really good way to spend my time when I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by it all. Sometimes, I think back to the interview and the underlying anxiety I felt I think made it really hard to think clearly when reading those questions outside the doors (I don't show it at all, but inside I'm just a very anxiety prone person and it clouds my thoughts)--and as much as everyone just says be yourself (which I think is great advice) it's really tough to be yourself when your mind isn't able to just let your heart take the reigns. I do, thinking back to some stations, feel that are things I feel are positive about me that just may not have come through because of this, but oh well, no point in thinking too much about that so I try not to!

Interviews, especially medical school interviews, are pretty nerve wracking for pretty much everyone going through the process. Try to be extra self-compassionate during this stressful time of uncertainty. I guarantee you that every person that interviewed left thinking they could have done xyz better. It's human nature.

You threw your hat in the ring this year, and that requires so much courage, and you should be really proud of yourself for having done that and for having gotten this far.  :)

Interviews, especially medical school interviews, are pretty nerve wracking for pretty much everyone going through the process. Try to be extra self-compassionate during this stressful time of uncertainty. I guarantee you that every person that interviewed left thinking they could have done xyz better. It's human nature.

You threw your hat in the ring this year, and that requires so much courage, and you should be really proud of yourself for having done that and for having gotten this far.  :)

Thanks NeuroticDoodle, that means a lot. You're right, it's actually true that it took me a lot of courage to apply this year, you basically read my mind.

I can always use these reminders. Tbh, I avoided any pre-med related activity (inc forums) during undergrad years, I didn't have the best impression of the pre-meds I did know in my classes (admittedly, small sample size) and I just didn't feel like I fit into that typical mould. Not so much marks wise, or EC wise or anything on paper like that...it was just a personality-wise thing. I'm not naturally a very competitive person with other people...I am competitive with myself, and I always strive to do better than my previous performance which has been I think a key to any success I have had so far throughout undergrad and after. I always felt happy for others' successes and felt sad when they would snub me for mine. Eventually, just wanted to distance myself from that scene. I am really happy that I took the plunge to join this forum because everyone on here literally has just been inspiring to me. I feel motivated every time I come on here and I love how encouraging we are to each other. It's a great atmosphere of camaraderie, and I feel privileged to be a part of it.

Archived