Premed 101 Forums

Hey guys,

I'm doing my MCCQE part I on may 11th. I just got 60% on the practice exam... How can I improve my score in this short amount of time. I really don't want to fail lol

And how is it graded? Is it curved or you need to get 50% of the questions right to pass? 

Thanks!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can check out this page that the LMCC provides. 

http://mcc.ca/examinations/mccqe-part-i/scoring/

The gist of it is that it is virtually impossible to calculate how many you need to get right, but it is not graded on a curve.  

"Prior to 2015, the pass score for the MCCQE Part I was 390 on the old 50 to 950 scale. The new pass score (427) translates to 440 on this old scale."

This means that you have to get a score of 427 combined with the MCQ and the CDM questions.  But the test is evolving, meaning that it will give you harder questions if you do well, and easier ones if you don't.  The harder questions are worth more points than the easier ones.  So you may need to answer fewer, harder questions in order to meet the cut-off score.  If you're really curious, read the whole page, as it goes into a lot of detail I don't want to reiterate.  

Honestly, the long story short is, don't worry too much about hitting the bar, and just do your best!  As for how to improve your score in a short time, I can't help you.  If I knew, I would be doing it myself.  

Thanks Hooles! I think there's really no point to worry about it and I just have to study as much as I can for the last few days :)

I just suddenly got scared since last year 5% of people failed, and 427/950 (a little less than 50%) isn't a lot considering that they are not curving...

You can check out this page that the LMCC provides. 

http://mcc.ca/examinations/mccqe-part-i/scoring/

The gist of it is that it is virtually impossible to calculate how many you need to get right, but it is not graded on a curve.  

"Prior to 2015, the pass score for the MCCQE Part I was 390 on the old 50 to 950 scale. The new pass score (427) translates to 440 on this old scale."

This means that you have to get a score of 427 combined with the MCQ and the CDM questions.  But the test is evolving, meaning that it will give you harder questions if you do well, and easier ones if you don't.  The harder questions are worth more points than the easier ones.  So you may need to answer fewer, harder questions in order to meet the cut-off score.  If you're really curious, read the whole page, as it goes into a lot of detail I don't want to reiterate.  

Honestly, the long story short is, don't worry too much about hitting the bar, and just do your best!  As for how to improve your score in a short time, I can't help you.  If I knew, I would be doing it myself.  

Wow is this true?!?! You only need 427/950 to pass? That's like 45%...

• 9 months later...

Every section is weighed the same.  My advice is to study the shorter sections first, longer sections last (if at all).  Internal medicine and surgery are huuuuge sections.  They can consume your entire block of studying.  Hammer out PHELO, psych, peds, and OB first.  Some people didn't study at all.  My hats off to them.

To answer your question, IM includes all of its subspecialties.  Geriatrics is one of them.  From my experience, derm can show up under IM, surgery, or peds.  Know how to recognize the big ones: melanoma, HSP, lyme dz, etc.  They would likely combine a picture of a rash with some clinical info, like purpuric rash in the buttocks legs + oliguria.

I studied the PHELO/Paeds/OB/GYN sections in T Notes (ignored psych because it's my specialty), and also got CanadaQBank (when I did the practice tests, I let it use all specialties, so that was my review of surgery and GIM built into that).  I did very well in the end so it seemed to work.

Basically every section other than PHELO/paeds/obgyn/psych falls under either the "medicine" or the "surgery" umbrellas.

• 2 weeks later...

hey i have heard some ppl say uworld is better than canada q bank for the lmcc, and othes say the mccee is better than the mccqe, just wondering what people thoughts are on which qbank is the best to use for lmcc exam? (most represenative)

UWorld is relatively heavy on internal medicine. As much as 50-60% of it is medicine. Canada qbank by comparison has questions that are more evenly distributed across subject areas (reflecting the more even distribution on Canadian exams). Frankly though, it doesn't matter which one you use since they'll both cover the relevant things you need to know anyways. 

UWorld is the best, and remember you can choose which section to draw the questions from. Their explanation for answers is just unbeatable.

I think reading a giant book like Toronto notes is simply an overkill for LMCC1. Maybe use First Aid for CK as reference but even then I wouldn't read all of FA CK unless you are concurrently doing CK.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Anyone finds studying with Essentials for the Canadian Medical Licensing Exam useful?

My friends recommended it to me, so far, TNotes and Canada Qbanks are the references that I use the most to study.

With LMCC approaching in a few weeks, and not even reaching 50% of objectives, need a bit of luck, caffeine, and advice.

Anyone who studied LMCC part 1 under 3 weeks, and successful passed, please let me know how you did it!!! Or PM me :)

Thanks guys :)

Anyone finds studying with Essentials for the Canadian Medical Licensing Exam useful?

My friends recommended it to me, so far, TNotes and Canada Qbanks are the references that I use the most to study.

With LMCC approaching in a few weeks, and not even reaching 50% of objectives, need a bit of luck, caffeine, and advice.

Anyone who studied LMCC part 1 under 3 weeks, and successful passed, please let me know how you did it!!! Or PM me :)

Thanks guys :)

I didn't use Essentials, but I did flip through a copy of the book once, and it looks decent (despite negative reviews on Amazon). Anyone who actually gets through it should be more than adequately prepared. Many people who take the test also say that studying made no difference, and that their answers were mostly just things they remembered from clerkship. That could happen too.

Archived