Premed 101 Forums

Queen's Increases Class Size To 105

I wonder how many international students even apply to Queen's (or Ontario in general).

No idea, but considering how many students in ON universities are international it is nice that they're giving them spots to train in Canada, rather than jump through endless hoops trying to come back after, when many have lived here for at least a decade

• 3 weeks later...

They won't be eligible for the CMG residency spots anyway, so no competition for first round.

I'm pretty sure thats going to change, either they will be given the PR to do so or something will give. There would be a public outcry. There might be an addendum added, if you graduate from a Canadian medical school you can apply to CaRMS first round. 

I'm pretty sure thats going to change, either they will be given the PR to do so or something will give. There would be a public outcry. There might be an addendum added, if you graduate from a Canadian medical school you can apply to CaRMS first round. 

Nah they won't be eligible unless they marry a Canadian early on in med school.

This already happens in Residency programs. The countries pay for their doctors to do their residency training in Canada and after completion they return to their country of origin. These are neither IMG or CMG spots. Countries like Saudi Arabia and Kuwait do this. I'm pretty sure that this is targeted towards countries like these.

I imagine that these medical students will stick around to do Canadian residency but be in a foreign government funded position or go back home.

Nah they won't be eligible unless they marry a Canadian early on in med school.

This already happens in Residency programs. The countries pay for their doctors to do their residency training in Canada and after completion they return to their country of origin. These are neither IMG or CMG spots. Countries like Saudi Arabia and Kuwait do this. I'm pretty sure that this is targeted towards countries like these.

I imagine that these medical students will stick around to do Canadian residency but be in a foreign government funded position or go back home.

But we have Americans in our medical schools as well. 

The Americans we have right now have dual citizenship, so they're also technically Canadian. The incoming five won't have any type of Canadian citizenship.  

Not at McMaster I believe, pretty sure that person was actually American. I guess they could just aim for US residencies. 

Not at McMaster I believe, pretty sure that person was actually American. I guess they could just aim for US residencies. 

Must have been an international applicant/student, otherwise you have to be Canadian. Both apply through OMSAS for Mac.

• 3 months later...

WHY. Can we please get CANADIANS into CANADIAN med schools first, before doing some international help/peace/UnitedNations/frknidek

Increasing med school enrollment wouldn't be a good idea if they continue to reduce the number of residency positions. At least these 5 new spots will not compete against CMGs in the first round of CaRMS.

I don't support this either, but for different reasons.

• 6 months later...

Well, they will be paying 80K a year for tuition which is equivalent to what 4 domestic students would pay, so I think it's fair. 

Problem is, how much does it cost a year to educate a medical student? If it's more than 80k, the taxpayers are still subsidizing the education of these students.

Archived