Premed 101 Forums

2016 Waitlisters Unite1

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wishing all those accepted and off the waitlist all the best! Rural_roots, I am praying for the both of us that next year is our year!

RR, I'm hoping next year is our year. We'll be classmates yet, bud! :D

Rural_roots and MDwannabe02, lets hope next year the 3 of us get to celebrate getting in at NOSM. We can work together this summer to improve our applications and make sure we get in.

I've always maintained that it's a unique bond that brings us together on here as no one can truly relate to the special kind of torture that medical school application is unless they've been through it themselves.

I would be honoured to attend NOSM alongside you guys.  Once more unto the breach, dear friends.

RR

Rural_roots and MDwannabe02, lets hope next year the 3 of us get to celebrate getting in at NOSM. We can work together this summer to improve our applications and make sure we get in.

I'm also rooting for you three! Don't lose hope, you are so, so close. Best of luck next year my PM101 friends. If there is ever any way I can help, let me know

• 1 month later...

Looks like we can look forward to wait list purgatory this year also. At the info session last night, the admissions office stated that they will no longer be giving out wait list ranks. Although, they did say they like to keep it short with only 38 people being on the wait list last year. Just an FYI  ^_^

Looks like we can look forward to wait list purgatory this year also. At the info session last night, the admissions office stated that they will no longer be giving out wait list ranks. Although, they did say they like to keep it short with only 38 people being on the wait list last year. Just an FYI  ^_^

Our email said 46 were on the waitlist, and it moved around 15 spots. Unless 8 people asked to be taken off the waitlist and only 7 of the original 64 seats rejected. 

Regardless the purgatory was the worst weeks of my life. And I'm very upset they decided to do this. 

But life moves on, will just have to hope I'm not at that point again next May. 

I am not a fan of this policy one bit. Did they give a rationale as to why they made this change? Did they get any questions on it?

I wouldn't be surprised since they introduced casper and then the new GPA calculation.

I think you need to check that- The CASPer was just a test back in 2014-15... I don't think it was ever used in actual admissions, and NOSM definitely doesn't take the CASPer now.

I don't think NOSM will ever make the MCAT mandatory. It comes from the fact that we have no testing facilities in the north. Unless that were to change- But I highly doubt that. 

Right now I have to travel to Winnipeg to do a course or write the test: as its the closest place (extra $100's on top of testing fees due to gas, accommodation, etc.)

Archived