Premed 101 Forums

522 Mcat - Cp130/cars132/bb129/psy131 - Ama

alsdjflks

Hey

Im struggling with Chemistry, general chem, I just opened first chapter and I couldn't get electrons configuration like the concept of subshells... I haven't taken this since grade 11 .. Im trying to re learn it and give my self plenty of time...

Is the little stuff like that really important? or I just have to understand there are subshells with rules like n + l or something.. Also Khan Academy doesn't explain everything I noticed.. they teach u topics in videos but they're questions require more knowledge.. 

What do you suggest I do?

Thanks for doing this AMA.

For the CARS section did you use a variety of prep passages from different companies? I dont know where to start with practicing CARS. Should I get EK or Kaplan or just do whatever I can get my hands on?

Also what was your strategy to this section? How much did you improve since you first started studying for the MCAT?

Thank you!

Also, how much time did you spend studying? Did you plan out a study schedule?

My main problem right now is finding study time, I’m trying to do evening and weekend studying but it’s mostly just turned into cramming on the weekends. My goal is to finish content review by end of June, and then spend the remaining 2 months doing as many practice problems and tests as possible. I haven’t really planned out a strict schedule though. Do you think I should?

Also what was it like when you wrote the test? How was the environment at your test center? And what was the worst part for you during test day?

Thank you! (and sorry if I’m asking too many questions!)

My study schedule was simple. I just studied X pages per day. Once I was done that much work, I did practice problems. If I somehow managed to get done early, then I had more time off for that day.

Roughly about how many pages per day? And did you have supplemental material for practice problems? Right now I have the 7 book Kaplan review, and each chapter only has a few questions. If you could direct me where to find more questions that would be great!

Roughly about how many pages per day? And did you have supplemental material for practice problems? Right now I have the 7 book Kaplan review, and each chapter only has a few questions. If you could direct me where to find more questions that would be great!

Khan Academy 

Hi Skypemmi. thanks so much for doing this

For CARS, did you have a pacing strategy? Right now, I read the passage slowly the first time hoping to digest everything but I am way over the time limit I set for myself by the time I finish the questions. 

Also, did you budget about 10 minutes for each passage? 

Thanks!

I was serious about the MCAT. I studied 8-10 hours a day, every day. Usually started at 10am, ended at 8pm. Used the rest of the day to watch a movie or something simple. Really relaxed during those few hours a night to recharge and avoided anything MCAT related.

Also, one thing I should add is that I was pretty militaristic during those 4 months. From 10am-8pm - it was all MCAT. If I took a break, I would budget it so it was 15 minutes max. During those 15 minutes, I could do whatever I want, but when 15 minutes was up, I was back to work. Additionally, try to keep your mind focused so the MCAT is your priority. Don't do extravagant things during those 4 months. I skipped trips with others, weddings my family was invited to, didn't go to dinner more than once a week, etc. to avoid losing my edge. Work hard, and you'll get results. It's that simple. 

My study schedule was simple. I just studied X pages per day. Once I was done that much work, I did practice problems. If I somehow managed to get done early, then I had more time off for that day.

I do think you should set a study schedule. Without a schedule, you'll be a rudderless ship. 

The testing environment was pretty standard. You get there, stand in line, and they process you at the computers. Then you go to your test room, they search you, and you go to your computer. The entire process takes a while, but i's pretty straight forward. People seemed OK though, not as much nerves and stuff as you would think. You see a lot more nervous energy during interviews. I was probably the most "zoned in" person there.

The worst part of the test day was probably waiting in line. It can take a while if you're on one of the slow lines. Took about an hour for me to get signed in. The rest of the day was fine though. 

Thanks for the great tips! 

I was wondering, how many passages/questions did you try to do roughly per day? Did you use the non-official stuff first till time got closer? 

Also, did you cover the review the material again at some point, or did you just go the same way everyday for every topic until it was time to get to practice exams? 

Thank you

I assume you mean for all subjects, not just CARS. I used Kaplan material mainly, but if I could find ohter material I used it. The thing is, each company uses its own style, so you have to know how to answer their questons. By far, the most important material for me was the TPR and Kaplan practice tests. I learned the most from those because they were insane. If you score 510 on TPR or 507 on Kaplan, you're set. To answer your question directly though, use any material you find helpful, but be realistic. If something is clearly not working, don't continue. I gave up on some material like Next Step because I thought they weren't well written.

I didn't review material a second time, but I did shore up my knowledge whenever I could to make sure I understood every right/wrong answer for every practcie test. If I saw I got some concept wrong a couple of times, I would review it on google/wiki/etc. 

Also, official AAMC material should be taken towards the middle to start, and at the very end. You have two sample tests. Use one after content review, then one right before the exam. 

Great! Thanks for the informative reply! 

I was also wondering how long/how much did you spend on the science practice questions each day after you finished reading that particular section? I find some subjects like bio where content on its own is not enough for me because I need to improve my application but some material like physics I would take a long time to go through the chapter to try to understand whats going on. So I was wondering if you just kept it consistent and if you always practiced for the same length of time each day and if you did a variety or just the few in those books. 

Thanks again! 

I don't quite understand what you mean. Generally speaking, in terms of studying, I mentioned what I did above (8-10hrs a day, and researched weak topics). Practice questions, I pretty much did as many mini tests from a variety of sources. Use whatever you can, but again, don't if you see its not working. Hope this answers your question. 

Sorry I was not clear. 

I just wanted to know exactly how much time you devoted to practicing each day from those 8-10 hours and/or if you had a plan of how many questions you wanted to accomplish or just tried to do as much as you can do in that day? Thanks again

15 minute breaks every hour. One of the 15's could be a 30 min lunch. In terms of questions, I didn't have a set number, but I think I scheduled times to do mini-tests after blocks of information. I.e. after digestive system, I did a mini test on digestive system. Etc. The point of questions is to reinforce information you've learned, so best to do them after each chapter. Make sure you also record your scores so you can reference how you did, and where you need to improve. No quota though - do as much as you want/can, until you feel you have a grasp of the knowledge and can confidently answer. Princeton review hyperlearning was also a good book. I started getting perfect or 1 wrong on the passages after a while. Use that, along with the Kaplan material. 

Perfect! This is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks a lot for the help. 

I just do have one following up question that I should've asked - did you time your self for these types of passage or were u focused on if you grasped the concept/learn from mistakes etc. 

Archived