Premed 101 Forums

522 Mcat - Cp130/cars132/bb129/psy131 - Ama

alsdjflks

Hey, I am planning on writing on Aug, 5th, but I can move the date two weeks back or forward. Now, I am currently taking the PR prep course online, which is great for content review. I am planning on finishing all the content by early July, then practice from there on out and only review question topics I answer incorrectly. Since, I am only applying to UWO this year, I will only be reading the Psych/Soc. section, as it WON'T be considered this cycle (contacted admissions). This means I really only have to study for 3 sections, but I'll still read psych/soc (but my score in this section will not be considered). I need 127 in both BB and CP, but a 130 in CARS. What is your advice for my situation? 

Hi Skypemmi, thanks so much for doing this,

I was wondering, in terms of tackling CARs Passage, do you do a "passage map" where you write paraphrases of paragraphs along with highlighting, or strictly highlighting, or some other method?

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like tried and tested quiz and recall/ memorization/ spaced repetition. Either way thanks for sharing your studying schedule and your work habits. Do you think that it would be possible to study for the MCAT without having taken the prerequisites? 

Also do you think that it would be a good idea to write the MCAT in the first and second year to just measure how much that I would need to study. 

I remember reading somewhere that taking MCAT practice tests matter almost as much as studying the material. Do you think that there should be an upper limit for how many practice tests a person takes?

Hey skypemmi, I was wondering, did you take all of the recommend prerequisites for the MCAT in undergrad? On the Kaplan test prep site they said that these are the recommended prequisites:

• Gen. Chem I & II
  • Physics I & II
  • Org. Chem. I & II
  • Bio. Chem I
  • Bio. I & II
  • Intro. Psych.
  • Intro. Socio.

I took all those courses except physics 1&2 and orgo 2. I think the most important courses are the bio, orgo, biochemistry, and chem courses. The mcat is very heavy on biochemistry these days so having a solid background will help you. Physics is not necessary as you can learn that on your own. Psych and sociology can also be learned on their own as well but the courses do something important. They teach you how to think like a social scientist. It helps when dissecting the passages where you're unfamiliar with the topic.

Hope that helps.

Whoa, just google'd that your score put you in the 98th percentile. Do you find that your score helped your med-school admission process? Also, thanks for the answers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello,

Thanks for your guidance. I really need some tips/help. So I wrote my MCAT, and really got a bad score; lower than 125 on each. Right now, I have 1 year to try and improve my score - also have full time course load. However, my summer will be completely free to do mcat stuff.

I got 125 on CARS. What should I do to get a score like yours in terms of the sciences - which books and stuff did you use and how was your schedule like?

In terms of the CARS, I have essentially 1 year to improve it. How should I do this? Should I be reading stuff everyday? What should I read, how should I try to read it? How did you get that CARS score....

Thanks so much for the help.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, AMA thread here. Hoping to help future physicians with the MCAT. Let me know where you're struggling, and hopefully I can help!

- Skypemmi

Rmorelan: Requeted previous thread closed. Do not close this thread please. Will have time to answer questions. 

I am struggling so badly with CARS!

Archived