Premed 101 Forums

Men In The Nursing Field

Yellowhead

Hi guys,

Any males out there working as nurses? I'm curious to hear what the men out there have to say about working in a largely female dominated field with its own unique working environment? In what department do most men gravitate towards?

Graduated from a female dominated masters program and didn't like the "cattiness" (and no, I'm not saying all females were like that). I'm interested to hear what it's like for the guys out there? Shadowed a nurse in ER recently and it seems as though the gossip and such continues. What has your experience been like?

Cheers!

I'm currently in a nursing program and I would say about a quarter to a third of my program is men. It's a great career with good pay and I think people have stopped caring so much about the gender thing. I see a lot of nurses that are men working in the ER.

Women have been working in male dominated fields forever and do very well.

Drop the sexist attitude of women's behavior and you'll be fine:P

I did two placements in both ER and ICU this year, and there were a couple shifts where male nurses actually out numbered female nurses. For example, on my last ICU night shift there were 7 male nurses working with 2 female nurses. I'm sure this is a rare occurrence though.

I work in ICU, and have for 5 years. It's a great career, but there is cattiness, and gossip. But it's not limited to the females. I enjoy nursing quite a lot, but recommend getting into something meaty like ICU, Emerge, or Psyche. Something that requires extra training and expertise, be careful with psych though, it can be hard to transition out after. Because you won't have the skills required for medical positions

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Nursing workplace culture varies extremely from one setting to another. Some might even havemore than 50% of male nurses (Psych, ER, OR, some ICUs)

All the guys who I know that have graduated from nursing currently have a job, many in their setting of their choice.

Not all women who I know that have graduated have a job, and many took the first job offer that was given to them, regardless of whether they like it ro not. 

• 4 months later...

Male nurse here. I think men usually gravitate to (ER, ICU, Psych, OR). You may see some on neuro, cardiology, medicine, surgical units. The only areas lacking male nurses are Peds and Maternity. Yes there is catiness and management is always an issue with staffing ratios to patients but that is just the field of nursing. Its a good paying job. There are men who are Health care aides so why not be a step up and be a nurse. It is stressful if you don't work in a lower stress area like psych or OR and you can burnout. But it is a good field to get into. There are always avenues for advancement whether it is being a CRN, manager, NP, etc. You don't just have to do bedside.  

Archived