Premed 101 Forums

2016 Waitlist Support Thread

Now that the initial acceptance offers have been sent out, it's time to start the waitlist waiting game. I know other schools have support threads for people on the waitlists to speculate, stress or support one another, so I thought why not have one too.

Personally, despite being on the top third of the waitlist which traditionally has positive outcomes, I can't help but still feel worried and perhaps even more powerless than I did before this past Friday (haha)! I will say, though, that I'm glad waitlist offers will be made as soon as they become available rather than having to wait for certain dates!

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good idea. I'm sure those in the top third will definitely make it. The answer is more ambiguous to those in the middle third.

Although Hades from the other thread mentioned a good point, in that, unlike previous years, this is the first time everyone wrote mcat + had 4 year degree. Which is the requirement to apply to most other med schools. So there could be more students with higher GPAs applying elsewhere. But this is all speculation.

Someone mentioned that all 30 on the wait list last year got accepted? This year being more competitive with more IP interviewed, that number may come down. Although it would be pretty amazing if the declines this year were at least similar to those last year.

I will say, though, that I'm glad waitlist offers will be made as soon as they become available rather than having to wait for certain dates!

Thank you for clearing this up! I was actually wondering about whether they would wait until all their responses came back, or if they would send out more offers as declines came in. Do you know if this is any different for OOP students like me?

Thank you for clearing this up! I was actually wondering about whether they would wait until all their responses came back, or if they would send out more offers as declines came in. Do you know if this is any different for OOP students like me?

I'm afraid I can't comment on that. My waitlist email yesterday mentioned that applicants would be contacted immediately when a position is available, so that is how I know. If your letter did not mention anything, it may be different for OOP applicants - though I would be surprised if that were the case. Hopefully that helps you out.

An edit to my other post, I just confirmed last year they had only 24 people on wait list, they did not have enough students that passed the interview so weren't able to fill the 30 wait list spots.

I do feel that the wait list will most likely go 20/45. Anything after that is a coin toss.

An edit to my other post, I just confirmed last year they had only 24 people on wait list, they did not have enough students that passed the interview so weren't able to fill the 30 wait list spots.

I do feel that the wait list will most likely go 20/45. Anything after that is a coin toss.

Oh damn, here I was hoping they at least take in 25 - 30 people from the wait list. 

Now that the initial acceptance offers have been sent out, it's time to start the waitlist waiting game. I know other schools have support threads for people on the waitlists to speculate, stress or support one another, so I thought why not have one too.

Personally, despite being on the top third of the waitlist which traditionally has positive outcomes, I can't help but still feel worried and perhaps even more powerless than I did before this past Friday (haha)! I will say, though, that I'm glad waitlist offers will be made as soon as they become available rather than having to wait for certain dates!

I'm also top third and Share your sentiments, Scorbix. At first I was very happy, but now it's hard not to feel a bit lost in the waiting game. Last years thread mentioned that someone got off the waitlist as early as the 6th day post-acceptance... It's only been one day and it already feels like an eternity.

Edit: typos

That does make sense.

That would be 117 that passed interview (117 - (5+8+24) = 80 accepted and confirmed

- minus 5 deferring

- minus 8 rejected on professional grounds 

- minus 24 Declining

So technically they would have been able to accommodate up to 26 IP from wait list if they had 30. (recall 2 added to OOP)

Total IP 88 for 2015

- 80 from current candidates

- 5 from equity (SK Pool)

- 3 from previous year deferring

I know every year is different but I am sending positive vibes and forecasting better odds, some slots (at least 4 from OOP and Equity) and at least 20 -25 from those declining + deferring. Hang in there! :)

That does make sense.

That would be 117 that passed interview (117 - (5+8+24) = 80 accepted and confirmed

- minus 5 deferring

- minus 8 rejected on professional grounds 

- minus 24 Declining

So technically they would have been able to accommodate up to 26 IP from wait list if they had 30. (recall 2 added to OOP)

Total IP 88 for 2015

- 80 from current candidates

- 5 from equity (SK Pool)

- 3 from previous year deferring

I know every year is different but I am sending positive vibes and forecasting better odds, some slots (at least 4 from OOP and Equity) and at least 20 -25 from those declining + deferring. Hang in there! :)

So you think the 10 seats reserved for OOP won't be completely filled? 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there are 10 equity seats as well. Do you guys think all those 10 seats will be filled up? 

So you think the 10 seats reserved for OOP won't be completely filled? 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there are 10 equity seats as well. Do you guys think all those 10 seats will be filled up? 

You are right - 10 only. There is always that chance. Last year's numbers was an anomaly for OOP 

But the fact is no one really knows what this year's stats will end up being

Hopefully, a similar trend could occur as last year. That being said, some of the events below could change the game for OOP and Equity numbers.

- Some equity students may secure places through the SK pool - 5 did last year and there is no idea how many passed the interview (since cut off is the same for all IPs). That being said, equity could be tight considering the highest numbers interviewed in the history of application.

- More OOP students could secure positions in their home provinces considering the high stats (GPA and MCAT) required to get an interview. The thinking behind this is that if OOP has high stats enough to get an interview and do well in the MMI, there is a high chance of securing a place in the home province. Although someone alluded to movement on OOP wait list being 30 last year, that's only one side of the story. Some candidates may have withdrawn from the wait list hence, only those offered but declined the positions will account for the movement on the wait list.

The best scenario would be - close to equal or more IPs declining and deferring for more wait list candidates to be accepted.

Again, these are only guesses, based on previous years and possible scenarios

What are the chances of all the IP applicants accepting their offers?

I think that's quite rare. In all my years I have never heard of absolutely no applicants being accepted off the waitlist. I would imagine that in the past, most applicants taken off the waitlsit are offered a spot because someone opted to study Dentistry as opposed to Medicine (e.g. accepted to both Medicine and Dentistry); furthermore, as others have pointed out, with everyone now required to write the MCAT, it may the be case that other IP applicants are accepted elsewhere as well. Ultimately we really don't know, and it's completely out of our hands at this point. Don't worry -- the thought of no one being taken off the waitlist as crossed my mind too.

Hi Scorbix, thanks for replying. I'm glad I'm not the only one having those thoughts. I know that there will be some deferrals and possibly some declines, but as much gratitude I have for being in the top 1/3, it wears on me from time to time and I'm looking forward to celebrating with friends and family for real!! I just hope that the trends from previous years are an indication of what is going to happen this year and then everyone will be happy. What are you getting up to as distraction?

Hi Scorbix, thanks for replying. I'm glad I'm not the only one having those thoughts. I know that there will be some deferrals and possibly some declines, but as much gratitude I have for being in the top 1/3, it wears on me from time to time and I'm looking forward to celebrating with friends and family for real!! I just hope that the trends from previous years are an indication of what is going to happen this year and then everyone will be happy. What are you getting up to as distraction?

Hey Sasquatch, I know what you mean!

I'm keeping busy with classes still; the program I'm in runs until mid-July, so I've still got my nose to the grindstone! Hopefully your wait is a little less stressful haha.

Hey Sasquatch, I know what you mean!

I'm keeping busy with classes still; the program I'm in runs until mid-July, so I've still got my nose to the grindstone! Hopefully your wait is a little less stressful haha.

Is it possible to know one's position on the waitlist group once deciles are released by end of month? Any thought?

Is it possible to know one's position on the waitlist group once deciles are released by end of month? Any thought?

A good question and one I've actually found myself thinking about, too. I've been tempted to email Ms. Bueckert in an attempt to see if she'd be willing to tell me my place on the waitlist, but I really don't think it would change anything -- heck, it might even make me more anxious; plus, they have enough work to do already. One's decile may hint at where they are on the waitlist, but honestly it's hard to say for certain. I suppose if you have a higher GPA and MCAT and were ranked relatively high in the MMI you may be able to deduce your spot on the waitlist, but it would only be a guess.

I looked over at last year's wait list thread and it seems some people in the bottom third got offers as late as mid June. Granted there are more people in the wait list this year, maybe it'll actually go to the middle third?

Archived