Premed 101 Forums

Unusual International Path

Im a Canadian masters student and I want to go to med school in Australia, however I've read that it can be trouble finding residency in Aus if you're an international student.

Because I have my EU passport is it possible that I could complete my medical schooling in Australia and continue to do residency in England if Australia gives me problems?

Also if possible, anyone who was in a similar scenario (good MCAT and an EU passport, but a subpar GPA), what did you do?

You would have to check the rues in the UK, whether it is as simple as it would appear for citizens who are not resident of the UK. It might be but do not take it for granted.

You are far better off to stay in Canada even if this means doing a seocnd undergrad to improve your undergrad GPA if it is not presently competitive. Sometimes the seemingly longer route is in fact the safer and shorter route to achieving your goal.

Im a Canadian masters student and I want to go to med school in Australia, however I've read that it can be trouble finding residency in Aus if you're an international student.

Because I have my EU passport is it possible that I could complete my medical schooling in Australia and continue to do residency in England if Australia gives me problems?

Also if possible, anyone who was in a similar scenario (good MCAT and an EU passport, but a subpar GPA), what did you do?

If you look at the UK's General Medical Council website, it appears to me that you would be able to do med school in Australia then do UK foundation programme. By the time you finish Aus med school, the UKMLA will have replaced the PLAB, and its not clear at this point if you can complete all stages of UKMLA while in Aus med school such that you don't have to wait until after graduation to do the OSCE part of it for instance (currently, part 2 of PLAB can only be done after graduating med school, but my sense is that you could finish all of UKMLA prior to graduating med school and won't have to take a year off b/w med school and UKFP--not sure though as little literature on this!!). 

Edit: also, if you want to do UK residency, then you must have the right to work in the UK--w/ your EU passport you're good for now, but on June 23? the UK is having a referendum as to whether they leave the EU. At that point, if you don't have UK passport or indefinite leave to remain or something along those lines, it would probably be impossible to get UK foundation post.

Edit: also, if you want to do UK residency, then you must have the right to work in the UK--w/ your EU passport you're good for now, but on June 23? the UK is having a referendum as to whether they leave the EU. At that point, if you don't have UK passport or indefinite leave to remain or something along those lines, it would probably be impossible to get UK foundation post.

I do have a British passport, but that is good to know.

So from what you've said it sounds like this is a viable option, and hopefully the UKMLA will allow for IMGs to complete it while in med school, as I'd prefer to not prolong this process any longer!

I would encourage you to look at the UK, if your stats are amenable. It will be much easier to find a good Foundation post if you did your medical school in the UK regardless of your citizenship. 

Also if you do your medical schooling anywhere in the EU, and you are an EU citizen you don't have to write the PLAB or whatever is succeeding it, so that might be an advantage if you decide to, so you might also want to consider Ireland. 

I would encourage you to look at the UK, if your stats are amenable. It will be much easier to find a good Foundation post if you did your medical school in the UK regardless of your citizenship. 

Also if you do your medical schooling anywhere in the EU, and you are an EU citizen you don't have to write the PLAB or whatever is succeeding it, so that might be an advantage if you decide to, so you might also want to consider Ireland. 

However, the GMC might be able to mandate that everyone who wants to do UKFP needs to take UKMLA, including EU grads (will definitely be the case if UK leaves EU).

However, the GMC might be able to mandate that everyone who wants to do UKFP needs to take UKMLA, including EU grads (will definitely be the case if UK leaves EU).

That is true, i have my doubts that Britain will actually leave the EU, yes I know the polling is tight with a slight lead to staying, but people tend to err on the side of caution history shows. 

That is true, i have my doubts that Britain will actually leave the EU, yes I know the polling is tight with a slight lead to staying, but people tend to err on the side of caution history shows. 

I sure hope they stay in. I honestly don't trust polls anymore, over the past year in several major elections around the world they've been so far off, including in the 2015 UK general election. I think d cameron needs to make it crystal clear that scotland is gonna peace out if there's a brexit, as i think that will make people even more cautious to vote leave. 

I have looked a little into the UK, but from what I've read around it's a lot harder to be accepted into their universities? Ireland is really expensive is it not? I know a family friend who was paying close to 100k/yr to study medicine there.

I have looked a little into the UK, but from what I've read around it's a lot harder to be accepted into their universities? Ireland is really expensive is it not? I know a family friend who was paying close to 100k/yr to study medicine there.

It depends on the school but I've always been under the impression that Ireland is similar to Australia tuition wise? 100k a year sounds like RCSI which is the most expensive school in Ireland. 

The UK is more competitive, how are your stats? 

Archived