Premed 101 Forums

Research Publication Authorship

lol1868

I'm currently involved in compiling a clinical database that will be analyzed and subsequently used in drafting a manuscript. If I won't be involved in writing the manuscript, will my involvement in creating the database be sufficient for authorship on the manuscript? Any insight on the extent of involvement needed for authorship? 

I think it depends on your general involvement during the study. For instance, I recruited patients, did the statistical analysis w/ the resident I work with and wrote the first draft of the manuscript & got 2nd authorship (mind you I'm an undergrad not a grad student). I think you should ask them if you could write the first draft of the manuscript & then see what they say. I guess it all comes down to your supervisor, but I think you should hesitate to ask!! Good luck & Hope that helps. 

I also second asking your supervisor/lab mates. Sometimes people just don't think to add you, or don't realize where the database information came from. Being up front ahead of time helps to alleviate any potential problems that roll around at publication time.

As for actual rules for gaining an authorship, that can depend on the journal you submit to, and can be extremely vague. I think one criteria is to contribute "knowledge" to the paper. This can be interpreted in many ways. As long as everyone is in agreement, and you can justify an authorship to yourself, it usually isn't a problem.

good luck!

As far as I know compiling the database won't result in an authorship as that is only data collection/compilation. However, if you were involved in the analysis of the data or helped write certain parts of the manuscript, that counts. :) 

I think it depends on your general involvement during the study. For instance, I recruited patients, did the statistical analysis w/ the resident I work with and wrote the first draft of the manuscript & got 2nd authorship (mind you I'm an undergrad not a grad student). I think you should ask them if you could write the first draft of the manuscript & then see what they say. I guess it all comes down to your supervisor, but I think you should hesitate to ask!! Good luck & Hope that helps. 

Also, +1 

• 1 month later...

Sad to say compiling data doesn't guarantee authorship. What's more important is to show that you're more than capable to analyze these information. Since you are the one compiling the database, you surely have access to these data and have a chance to analyze them. Try to tell your supervisor an interesting finding from the data. It is likely that your mentor would analyze them still. But if you show that you are curious and smart, your supervisor might want to hear more from you. And if you're lucky, you're going to have a chance to write the manuscript.

*This is how I got my supervisor to trust me to write a manuscript for my lab work.

Archived