Premed 101 Forums

Any Reliable Information On U Of A/u Of C Program In The Future?

I left Calgary about a year ago to complete my undergrad in Toronto close to family as I have a family of my own.  

While working in Calgary, the PA trial was ongoing with AHS.  We have now passed the trial period but I am unaware if there has been an assessment of the implementation, success/failure, and future developments if they exist.

In Calgary, there were a few like-minded co-workers who were also completing their undergrads or boosting their GPA in the hopes that the U of C or U of A would adopt a program similar to the U of T/Mcmaster program in the next few years.  Since the introduction of the PA trial program, there was always swirling rumors of a program on the horizon in Alberta.

Does anyone have any inside or public knowledge into what the future plans are both professionally and educationally?  

My HC experience is with Calgary EMS and I miss the mountains, so if possible I'd like to return in the future, but without a future for PAs it would be foolish to travel back out west.

I have spoken with the "bow tie" guy that is setting up the program and he seems awesome, very knowledgeable and really has a drive to get the program started. He was at the CAPA conference last year and was talking with current students to get their feed back. He plans for it to be strongly tied to their faculty of medicine and follow much of their program outline all be it at an accelerated pace, he also mentioned wanting to follow a the UofT distance program allowing for PAs to work more in rural Alberta. He did say (last October) that the creation of the course was going to be dependent on the Alberta economy and that if oil prices fell then it might be difficult for the program to get going.

This was in a brief chat I had with him last year so lots of things might have changed since then. To finish on a high note Alberta is as we speak regulating PAs so it shows at least the province is positive about PAs.

Archived