Premed 101 Forums

Hi guys! (sorry in advance for the long-winded post).

I'm planning to apply to Dalhousie for OT 2017 admission, however I have to take the physiology (6 credit hours) and anatomy (3 credit hours) pre-requisites in order to apply. I will also apply to a few other schools (U of T/Queens/McMaster) and UBC), however Dal is my top choice (just based on location).

Thus, I'm stuck spending this semester (sept 2016) and next (Jan 2017) getting those pre-reqs! I am trying to decide from which online university I should take physiology, as I am having trouble getting into any UVic or Camosun Physiology classes because seats are offered to kinesiology students first and generally reach saturation.

Has anyone taken Bio 230 (Human physiology - 6 CH) through Athabasca? Online reviews for Athabasca are awful, but when I look at the syllabus for Bio 230 it doesn't seem that demanding, plus I will have 8 months to work through the course.

Please let me know if you've personally taken this course before, or recommend alternate online courses! I am going to try to enroll in my Anatomy pre-req here at UVic as it doesn't have the same kines restriction that the physiology ones do, and I *think* classroom learning is generally easier, although I do work 3 part-time jobs at the moment so flexibility is also key.

*As a note, I have no physiology or anatomy background, but do have chemistry/physics/biology/math from my undergrad (though, that was over 6 years ago now).

**As a second note, I did enroll in TRU's Bio 3701 Advanced Anatomy last year (because their intro anatomy was full) and completely bombed it, even though I am an anal A+ student generally. So, I really want to avoid a repeat experience and thousands of dollars down the drain. SO I guess on that note I do in fact have anatomy experience, although I think I've tried to black out most of it.

THANKS SO MUCH!

Chantele

I did all my prereqs in regular classes, but I know one person who took the Athabasca course. From what she told me she enjoyed it, although there were a lot of readings. It was her first anatomy class, but she had a strong science background.

What were the reasons the course had bad reviews? Was it because it's difficult? Sorry I don't have any more info, but maybe some others will post with their experiences  :)

I took the online physiology course that Queens offered. Its a 6 credit course in the span of a usual 3 credit course (so one semester). I really liked it. It was a lot of reading, but overall very informative and it was great because even without having anatomy , the book explained a lot of any background you needed to understand it.

Hey Chantele,

I'm in the same vote as you. Dal is my first choice but the 6 credit physiology prerequisite is killer. I haven't taken Athabasca's 6 credit course but am hesitant to take it to based on the reviews, not to mention its expensive. Feel free to private message me...

Can anyone else chime in?

I took the online physiology course that Queens offered. Its a 6 credit course in the span of a usual 3 credit course (so one semester). I really liked it. It was a lot of reading, but overall very informative and it was great because even without having anatomy , the book explained a lot of any background you needed to understand it.

Cheerfulhopeful what was the difficulty level of the 6 credit physiology course offered at Queens. 6 credits worth of physiology in 1 semester seems like a lot...

If Dalhousie is your first choice by far I would suggest going for the course! I took a lot of courses for prerequisites, and one in particular was unbelievably awful and difficult. I spent more time on that elective than my core classes, and I hated every second of it. While I didn't get in last year, this year I got into several schools that required that course, and that made it 100% worth it. Had I not taken that course I wouldn't even have had a chance at those schools.

While it may be difficult, expensive, and time-consuming, should you eventually be accepted to your first choice school you'll be SO happy you did it. Particularly since if you're talking about location, it could cost you more to move to Ontario. I totally understand if the barriers you've mentioned are more complex and taking the course wouldn't be manageable, but I just wanted to throw in my two cents  :)

- plus the knowledge you'll gain will help you as a future OT!

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Cheerfulhopeful, I've looked into the Queens one and it actually looks similar to the Athabasca one in terms of content, however of course it needs to be completed in 3 months rather than 12 months like Athabasca gives you. I'm wondering if the Queens one is done at your own pace or are there set deadlines for midterms, assignments, etc? Athabasca is done all at your own pace which is kind of a perk I think (as long as i can force myself to do it!)

Yellowhead, I'm not sure how to private message, lol. This is my first time using this forum and I'm still trying to figure it out. But I agree - taking 6CH all in one term (I also have to take two additional classes to finish up a certificate program), worries me quite a bit. But the Queens online courses don't have the same terrible reviews that Athabasca has!

Can anyone else recommend other online Physiology courses, or perhaps give more information on the ones you have taken?

Thanks again, this has all been very helpful.

Cheerfulhopeful what was the difficulty level of the 6 credit physiology course offered at Queens. 6 credits worth of physiology in 1 semester seems like a lot...

I didn't find it overly challenging, but I also kept up with the readings. So as long as you do the readings (which can be long), the course was pretty fair!

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Cheerfulhopeful, I've looked into the Queens one and it actually looks similar to the Athabasca one in terms of content, however of course it needs to be completed in 3 months rather than 12 months like Athabasca gives you. I'm wondering if the Queens one is done at your own pace or are there set deadlines for midterms, assignments, etc? Athabasca is done all at your own pace which is kind of a perk I think (as long as i can force myself to do it!)

Yellowhead, I'm not sure how to private message, lol. This is my first time using this forum and I'm still trying to figure it out. But I agree - taking 6CH all in one term (I also have to take two additional classes to finish up a certificate program), worries me quite a bit. But the Queens online courses don't have the same terrible reviews that Athabasca has!

Can anyone else recommend other online Physiology courses, or perhaps give more information on the ones you have taken?

Thanks again, this has all been very helpful.

Hey! The one at Queens does have deadlines as it follows the usual semester like courses you take in person do. However with that said, you can still kind of work at your own pace up until that deadline. The way it went when I went through it was that you write 4 online tests throughout the semester and you have a 24 hour time frame in which you can choose when to write it. You also had to contribute to a discussion board for every topic and you have up until a certain date to submit your entry. These were easy points. And finally you had to do a couple of online tutorials where you work through a case study with a group of people. The points for these were also very easy because you get points for participating (you only have to type, you don't have to talk through a mic). Overall the course was really good as long as you kept up with the readings, so if you have a busy semester already I wouldn't suggest taking it. But if you have a good amount of time where you know you can do the readings you should do well in it! Hope this helps !

I didn't find it overly challenging, but I also kept up with the readings. So as long as you do the readings (which can be long), the course was pretty fair!

Thanks for your reply. Was the workload equivalent to taking two courses at once? I'm having trouble understanding why Queens would make the course worth 6 units as opposed to 3. It almost sounds like a deal to me considering no other school I know will give you 6 credits worth of physiology credits taken in one term...

Thoughts?

If Dalhousie is your first choice by far I would suggest going for the course! I took a lot of courses for prerequisites, and one in particular was unbelievably awful and difficult. I spent more time on that elective than my core classes, and I hated every second of it. While I didn't get in last year, this year I got into several schools that required that course, and that made it 100% worth it. Had I not taken that course I wouldn't even have had a chance at those schools.

While it may be difficult, expensive, and time-consuming, should you eventually be accepted to your first choice school you'll be SO happy you did it. Particularly since if you're talking about location, it could cost you more to move to Ontario. I totally understand if the barriers you've mentioned are more complex and taking the course wouldn't be manageable, but I just wanted to throw in my two cents  :)

- plus the knowledge you'll gain will help you as a future OT!

Which course are you referring to in particular

Hey! The one at Queens does have deadlines as it follows the usual semester like courses you take in person do. However with that said, you can still kind of work at your own pace up until that deadline. The way it went when I went through it was that you write 4 online tests throughout the semester and you have a 24 hour time frame in which you can choose when to write it. You also had to contribute to a discussion board for every topic and you have up until a certain date to submit your entry. These were easy points. And finally you had to do a couple of online tutorials where you work through a case study with a group of people. The points for these were also very easy because you get points for participating (you only have to type, you don't have to talk through a mic). Overall the course was really good as long as you kept up with the readings, so if you have a busy semester already I wouldn't suggest taking it. But if you have a good amount of time where you know you can do the readings you should do well in it! Hope this helps !

Send you a private msg Chantele. You can find me if you click on "members" at the op of your screen.

?

Thanks for your reply. Was the workload equivalent to taking two courses at once? I'm having trouble understanding why Queens would make the course worth 6 units as opposed to 3. It almost sounds like a deal to me considering no other school I know will give you 6 credits worth of physiology credits taken in one term...

Thoughts?

Hey! It is more work than one single course, but only in terms of how much you read. I usually spent a couple hours every week reading. Hope this helps!

Which course are you referring to in particular

Send you a private msg Chantele. You can find me if you click on "members" at the op of your screen.

?

I took a psychology course with a new prof who didn't teach the material and asked ambiguous, creative questions. It was a class of 500 students and the average was a B-  :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

Anatomy from UNB was great! Work at your own pace, no deadlines, everything just needs to be completed within the 6 month time limit. I also took the online physiology class from DAL to upgrade and didin't enjoy it at all. If possible maybe being in class would be helpful especially if it's your first time taking the course.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived