Premed 101 Forums

Studying For Clerkship

Prior to my clerkship, I read some of Case Files: Ob/Gyn, because I was starting on Ob/Gyn and it helped with my anxiety.

I do not recommend extensive pre-clerkship studying honestly for the purposes of information gaining.  It's not worth it.  If it calms your anxiety, do a little focused review for whatever your first rotation is.  But once you're in it, you'll find that you get taught what you need to know in a different way than you're used to anyway.

I used T Notes because I learn better in a point format and I found it was more clinically oriented and useful than some of the more wordy texts.

It's correct about the learning being very different in clerkship. It's much more focused on practicality and application of knowledge (when faced with inadequate information) vs. memorizing lists and minutia. You need a different way of thinking. Some people adapted quickly others took longer.

Minutia memorizing becomes a big deal again when prepping for the Royal college exams.

Do nothing. Have fun and shadow specialties and relax. It's your last summer before a year long grind. Not one single person I met that studied the summer before 3rd year stated that it paid off - they all instead wished they'd just taken the summer off and travelled, relaxed, explored fields in which they may be interested in.

A better goal for the summer before clerkship is to narrow down your interests in terms of specialties - make a top 3 list of things you think you like and shadow staff in those. Its a better use of your time and will pay off much more than theoretical studying.

Archived