Premed 101 Forums

Lmcc Percentiles?

Any way to know what percentile you fall into for the mccqe1? What's a good/bad score?

You'll find out what percentile you fall into next week when the breakdown is sent out...

Having said that, the passing score was 427 (or something close to that) and the mean is set at 500 with a standard deviation of 100. So, if you scored 500 you are average. If you scored below 500 you are below average. If you scored above 500 you are above average.

• 4 weeks later...

You'll find out what percentile you fall into next week when the breakdown is sent out...

Having said that, the passing score was 427 (or something close to that) and the mean is set at 500 with a standard deviation of 100. So, if you scored 500 you are average. If you scored below 500 you are below average. If you scored above 500 you are above average.

No, that was only true for last year. They fixed those numbers to last years cohort, which is when the pass grade was last changed. So if you did 500, you are average compared to the 2015 cohort, but this years cohort average could be higher or lower than 500.

No, that was only true for last year. They fixed those numbers to last years cohort, which is when the pass grade was last changed. So if you did 500, you are average compared to the 2015 cohort, but this years cohort average could be higher or lower than 500.

This is the link to the LMCC website that discusses the scoring of the CURRENT exam.

http://mcc.ca/examinations/mccqe-part-i/scoring/

Coles notes: passing score 427. Mean 500. Score 600 and you are one standard deviation above the mean.

The only thing that's changed is how they report the results. It doesn't break it down quite as nicely as in previous years.

This is the link to the LMCC website that discusses the scoring of the CURRENT exam.

http://mcc.ca/examinations/mccqe-part-i/scoring/

Coles notes: passing score 427. Mean 500. Score 600 and you are one standard deviation above the mean.

The only thing that's changed is how they report the results. It doesn't break it down quite as nicely as in previous years.

No.

>Using the spring 2015 results of all MCCQE Part I candidates, the new 50 to 950 scale was established to have a mean of 500 and a standard deviation of 100. Results from the spring 2015 and subsequent exam sessions will be reported using  this new scale allowing us to compare candidate performance across sessions beginning with the spring 2015 session.

The link just confirms what I said. Pass note was set last year to be 427, which was 440 on the previous scale. The change of scale was due to renormalization so that the mean it 500 the year the test was made. The reference mean doesn't change from year to year.

The exact statement that you poorly quote is:

> For example, if a candidate’s score is 600, his or her ability level is one standing deviation above that of the reference group mean

Notice that they say *the reference group mean* and not the current group mean. The reference group is the cohort of 2015, which is when the pass note was last recalibrated.

No.

>Using the spring 2015 results of all MCCQE Part I candidates, the new 50 to 950 scale was established to have a mean of 500 and a standard deviation of 100. Results from the spring 2015 and subsequent exam sessions will be reported using this new scale allowing us to compare candidate performance across sessions beginning with the spring 2015 session.

The link just confirms what I said. Pass note was set last year to be 427, which was 440 on the previous scale. The change of scale was due to renormalization so that the mean it 500 the year the test was made. The reference mean doesn't change from year to year.

The exact statement that you poorly quote is:

> For example, if a candidate’s score is 600, his or her ability level is one standing deviation above that of the reference group mean.

Notice that they say *the reference group mean* and not the current group mean. The reference group is the cohort of 2015, which is when the pass note was last recalibrated.

The pass score for every year until 2018 is 427. The mean is set at 500. The standard deviation is 100.

The pass score for every year until 2018 is 427. The mean is set at 500. The standard deviation is 100.

Urgh, believe what you want. Yes the pass score until 2018 is 427, but the means aren't renormalized each year. 500 was the mean of 2015, that's how they decided the STD and pass score. This years mean and STD might be (are probably) slightly different.

>The mean is set at 500. The standard deviation is 100.

That is true for the 2015 cohort, but may not be for this year. If you got 600, you can only say for sure that you're one STD above the 2015 cohort, but you don't know that compared to this year's cohort. It's very clearly stated on their website, but you're just reading what you want to hear.

Urgh, believe what you want. Yes the pass score until 2018 is 427, but the means aren't renormalized each year. 500 was the mean of 2015, that's how they decided the STD and pass score. This years mean and STD might be (are probably) slightly different.

>The mean is set at 500. The standard deviation is 100.

That is true for the 2015 cohort, but may not be for this year. If you got 600, you can only say for sure that you're one STD above the 2015 cohort, but you don't know that compared to this year's cohort. It's very clearly stated on their website, but you're just reading what you want to hear.

Sure thing boss.

Sure thing boss.

>Results from the spring 2015 and subsequent exam sessions will be reported using  this new scale allowing us to compare candidate performance across sessions beginning with the spring 2015 session. For example, if a candidate’s score is 600, his or her ability level is one standing deviation above that of the reference group mean. 

• 4 weeks later...

>Results from the spring 2015 and subsequent exam sessions will be reported using this new scale allowing us to compare candidate performance across sessions beginning with the spring 2015 session. For example, if a candidate’s score is 600, his or her ability level is one standing deviation above that of the reference group mean.

Not to beat a dead horse, but the LMCC people just verified via email that all tests from spring 2015-fall 2017 will have a mean of 500 and sd of 100 so they can all be compared together.

Sooooooooo. Yeah.......

What I have never understood, and, please help me understand, but if the pass score 427 (or whatever it is now), mean is 500, and 1 SD is 100, you are only going to have about 60% passing the exam (give or take). What am I missing here, cause I highly doubt 40% of test writers fail the LMCC?

Someone with a better handle on stats please explain, lol :) ...what percent of test takers are not successful on part 1 or part 2?

Archived