Premed 101 Forums

Dermatologist Lifestyle And Salary

I was wondering if anyone knows the current job market, life style and remuneration (including both public and private billings for dermatologists). For those who matched, what did you do in medical school that really made your application stand out? (Research, electives..) Thanks!

I was wondering if anyone knows the current job market, life style and remuneration (including both public and private billings for dermatologists). For those who matched, what did you do in medical school that really made your application stand out? (Research, electives..) Thanks!

Great life style. They can do fairly well doing cosmetic procedures, even through OHIP billings they can do quite well https://www.cma.ca/Assets/assets-library/document/en/advocacy/Dermatology-e.pdf

in BC, dermatologists make less money than GPs. 

high upfront costs to run a practise too

Even in the publicized salaries they make less but it doesn't show how much they make from doing external procedures/ cosmetics, so it could be possible they can make more 

Even in the publicized salaries they make less but it doesn't show how much they make from doing external procedures/ cosmetics, so it could be possible they can make more 

any derm can do external procedures/cosmetics but getting the clientele to make it lucrative can be difficult. it comes down to building your business. for example, in vancouver, it's a monopoly with Dr. Jason Rivers and Dr. Marcie Ulmer. no other cosmetic dermatologist can survive.

http://www.vancouverskin.com/

any derm can do external procedures/cosmetics but getting the clientele to make it lucrative can be difficult. it comes down to building your business. for example, in vancouver, it's a monopoly with Dr. Jason Rivers and Dr. Marcie Ulmer. no other cosmetic dermatologist can survive.

http://www.vancouverskin.com/

I guess this is a problem for any physician who wants to turn their practice into a private business...it's like that in lasik too

Are you still thinking derm yourself Dermviser? It seems like you're dissatisfied with the payment

Derm should always make more money than office-based FM because of volume alone. Skin appointments are typically fast and simple, even for FM docs. Relevant history is pretty limited and the physical exam takes very little time. Even treatment is fairly quick, especially for those with experience. Stories of Derms walking around with a cryo gun are commom for a reason - 5-minute greet-and-freeze appointments are Derm's bread and butter.

Derm can churn through patients faster. That's a big part of why their income is higher. Not the cosmetics or the rare conditions or the big interventions. It's the simple stuff en masse, and a clinic arranged with the knowledge that they can run through those appointments quickly.

Derm should always make more money than office-based FM because of volume alone. Skin appointments are typically fast and simple, even for FM docs. Relevant history is pretty limited and the physical exam takes very little time. Even treatment is fairly quick, especially for those with experience. Stories of Derms walking around with a cryo gun are commom for a reason - 5-minute greet-and-freeze appointments are Derm's bread and butter.

Derm can churn through patients faster. That's a big part of why their income is higher. Not the cosmetics or the rare conditions or the big interventions. It's the simple stuff en masse, and a clinic arranged with the knowledge that they can run through those appointments quickly.

How does FM +specialization in derm including cosmetic compare to derm? Or are you referring to general FM?

How does FM +specialization in derm including cosmetic compare to derm? Or are you referring to general FM?

Honestly not sure myself. I'd imagine Derm-focused FM docs would make less than the typical Dermatologist, but more than a general FM practitioner, but it's probably quite varied even then. Hard to tell with the focused FM practices, lots of a different set-ups and it's tough to get a sense of income short of asking them in person.

So is working towards derm in med school not really worth it if you plan on practicing in BC? (in terms of the extra gunning you have to do + 2 extra residency years only to have less earnings than an FM)

Depends why you want to go into derm. If money, then ya maybe it could not be worth it.

But there are a lot of aspects to doing a full royal college derm program that are beneficial and inticing for some, I.e. academic aspects, inquiry.

I guess this is a problem for any physician who wants to turn their practice into a private business...it's like that in lasik too

Are you still thinking derm yourself Dermviser? It seems like you're dissatisfied with the payment

still on the fence between family and derm. sure, i find derm extremely interesting, but if i'll be getting paid peanuts, why grind five years during residency (the board exam in itself is 100% minutiae - it's incredible).

cosmetics is too stressful (very hard to build a clientele, the types of pts you see are hell, increased overhead, etc..). cosmetics = private business, better to spend your energy on real estate imo.

http://www.vancouversun.com/health/suffers+shortage+dermatologists/9192024/story.html

still on the fence between family and derm. sure, i find derm extremely interesting, but if i'll be getting paid peanuts, why grind five years during residency (the board exam in itself is 100% minutiae - it's incredible).

cosmetics is too stressful (very hard to build a clientele, the types of pts you see are hell, increased overhead, etc..). cosmetics = private business, better to spend your energy on real estate imo.

http://www.vancouversun.com/health/suffers+shortage+dermatologists/9192024/story.html

All the written portions of the RC exams I know of are very heavy on minutiae. Mine certainly was. Orals are more reasonable.

Archived