Premed 101 Forums

Dermatology Overhead

I've heard that derm overhead can be very high, up to 40%, however I'm not sure where that comes from. I've shadowed derm a couple of times and it seems like overhead should be comparable to FM.

Where does the 'high' overhead come from?

Same place as overhead for FM docs - office space, equipment, supplies, staff. Derm tends to be solo practice, so it's less efficient in terms of overhead costs, plus I imagine some of their more specialized equipment comes with some extra costs.

why would they be solo practice? Is it because there aren't as many dermatologists around to do a group practice?

In many cases, yes, there simply aren't many dermatologists around so there's not many to form a group practice. I mean, London is a decent-sized city, yet we have a grand total of 8 Dermatologists registered and I don't believe all are overly active. They make enough money to afford the extra overhead and having solo practice means retaining full control of that practice, which can save some headaches.

If a dermatologist is paying 40% overhead they have poorly negotiated their contract. Solo practice makes sense financially as you are never paying someone a percentage (just fixed rent). It becomes expensive if you want lasers (but then you should have the clientele who want to use them)

Archived