Premed 101 Forums

Eric Hoskins - What's Next?

NeuroD

So I've been wondering lately:

The relationship between our health minister and our doctors seems so poisoned. I don't think I'm alone in thinking it is beyond repair. Even if Hoskins turns around tomorrow and becomes more reasonable, no one is going to forget the multiple dirty tactics he's used. So what's next? He's committing career suicide isn't he? He simply CAN'T stay in the long term now. Should we start calling for his resignation? What's the point of drawing his position out any longer if the majority of docs have decided they hate him?

Sorry if this is politically in correct or ignorant. I don't know much about politics. This is just what the whole situation looks like to a simpleton like me.

So I've been wondering lately:

The relationship between our health minister and our doctors seems so poisoned. I don't think I'm alone in thinking it is beyond repair. Even if Hoskins turns around tomorrow and becomes more reasonable, no one is going to forget the multiple dirty tactics he's used. So what's next? He's committing career suicide isn't he? He simply CAN'T stay in the long term now. Should we start calling for his resignation? What's the point of drawing his position out any longer if the majority of docs have decided they hate him?

Sorry if this is politically in correct or ignorant. I don't know much about politics. This is just what the whole situation looks like to a simpleton like me.

I mean Doctors don't like him but he really hasn't practiced medicine for the last 20 years. He's a career politician at this point.

From a non Doctor perspective he's been effective at containing the healthcare budget. He hasn't done it in a fair or truthful manner but he has done it.

Doctors don't really have a leg to stand on as much as COncerned Ontario doctors wants them too. Doctors still make good money.

I think that this will get resolved with the courts giving us binding arbitration and the government suspects this so they are trying to keep things as cheap as possible for now at the expense of any relationship.

I mean Doctors don't like him but he really hasn't practiced medicine for the last 20 years. He's a career politician at this point.

From a non Doctor perspective he's been effective at containing the healthcare budget. He hasn't done it in a fair or truthful manner but he has done it.

Doctors don't really have a leg to stand on as much as COncerned Ontario doctors wants them too. Doctors still make good money.

I think that this will get resolved with the courts giving us binding arbitration and the government suspects this so they are trying to keep things as cheap as possible for now at the expense of any relationship.

Funny how I was hearing some propaganda on the radio this morning saying that the Ontario government is putting 1 billion dollars into healthcare this year... which may be true but at what cost?

Funny how I was hearing some propaganda on the radio this morning saying that the Ontario government is putting 1 billion dollars into healthcare this year... which may be true but at what cost?

Presumably 1 billion dollars :P

Hoskins is a politician pretty much through-and-through. Yes, he's detested by physicians, but it's not going to do much to stop him from implementing his policies, because he doesn't answer to us. And since the Ontario Liberals don't seem particularly interested in getting re-elected, he's kind of unhinged from any feedback whatsoever. If there ever comes a point where a policy requires physician co-operation and we won't budge because of animosity to Hoskins, they'll just do a cabinet shuffle, put him in charge of another portfolio, and bring in someone else. 

Apparently he's been promising London funding for a proven mental health program for months, with many suspicious delays. Makes me think he promises are purely political tools.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.lfpress.com/2016/07/07/money-promised-in-april-still-hasnt-reached-program-to-help-mental-health-patients&ved=0ahUKEwjWt8KKnuXNAhVH8IMKHXCDD1YQqQIIGigBMAA&usg=AFQjCNH3ja5ylB-xu7ouNK_DADIOyNnKHg&sig2=qHgp4TXoqZCZQSawvc-C8w

Hoskins has gotta know he's done in 2019 anyway. The liberals are so detested by the General public in Ontario right now they're gonna get slaughtered at the ballot box. He's probably already planning the next part of his career (likely some patronage appointment).

• 2 weeks later...

I was always under the impression that Hoskins was going to run for the Liberal leadership once Wynn finishes her run.

I think he went for it the last time around, then when he realized he wasn't likely to win, he bowed out and endorsed Wynn -- which resulted in him being rewarded with his current portfolio.

I was always under the impression that Hoskins was going to run for the Liberal leadership once Wynn finishes her run.

I think he went for it the last time around, then when he realized he wasn't likely to win, he bowed out and endorsed Wynn -- which resulted in him being rewarded with his current portfolio.

Their decision came after St. Paul’s MPP Eric Hoskins was eliminated from the race in the first ballot and dramatically threw his support to Wynne from centre ice, when it appeared as if he might be actually going to Pupatello across the floor.

With a theatrical flourish, he and his entourage stopped and Hoskins turned to point at Wynne to thunderous cheers from her ranks.

Pupatello’s supporters — who believed they had a deal for support from Hoskins — were momentarily deflated until Mississauga-Erindale MPP Harinder Takhar crossed the floor to endorse her.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2013/01/26/ontario_liberal_leadership_convention_kathleen_wynne_will_be_next_premier.html

I've always assumed that a cabinet position was his quid pro quo for supporting Wynn, and that the long game for him was to demonstrate that he could get a handle on Ontario's health-care spending to set himself up for a future Liberal leadership run. 

I've always assumed that a cabinet position was his quid pro quo for supporting Wynn, and that the long game for him was to demonstrate that he could get a handle on Ontario's health-care spending to set himself up for a future Liberal leadership run. 

Greasy.

Archived