Premed 101 Forums

What Are My Chances....

hey guys I want to go to dental school (duh) and wanted some input on what my 'chances' are of getting accepted to uoft or uwo...

info : 

going into 4th year at uwo (I think it will be my best year if the trend continues)   

best 3 years for uoft so far is 3.86

best 2 years so far has been 86.5

24 AA and 21PAT

I've been looking online and it says the interview average was a 3.85 for uoft so I think I'm about average for the interviews but definitely below the average of accepted students which I think was a 3.9

Additionally I am willing to take an extra year of undergrad to boost my average... let me know what you think

Based on this years app cycle, you are competitive for UofT and UWO. Your worst year will be dropped from UofT since you'll be applying in your 4th year and provided that you have good ECs, you'll get an interview for UWO. You have a good shot this year, just practice for the interview and you'll get in.

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys I want to go to dental school (duh) and wanted some input on what my 'chances' are of getting accepted to uoft or uwo...

info : 

going into 4th year at uwo (I think it will be my best year if the trend continues)   

best 3 years for uoft so far is 3.86

best 2 years so far has been 86.5

24 AA and 21PAT

I've been looking online and it says the interview average was a 3.85 for uoft so I think I'm about average for the interviews but definitely below the average of accepted students which I think was a 3.9

Additionally I am willing to take an extra year of undergrad to boost my average... let me know what you think

UWO consideres only RC for interviews and AA for acceptances. Your average is pretty good considering they dropped the cut-offs for interiews significantly this year (at least from what I've heard). Depending on ECs, i think UWO is your best bet. 

• 4 weeks later...

UWO consideres only RC for interviews and AA for acceptances. Your average is pretty good considering they dropped the cut-offs for interiews significantly this year (at least from what I've heard). Depending on ECs, i think UWO is your best bet. 

Based on this years app cycle, you are competitive for UofT and UWO. Your worst year will be dropped from UofT since you'll be applying in your 4th year and provided that you have good ECs, you'll get an interview for UWO. You have a good shot this year, just practice for the interview and you'll get in.

how important do you think EC are? because mine aren't really all that great, I've gone on a international volunteering trip with Canada World Youth, volunteered at the food bank, tutored with the boys and girls club, volunteered at the Alzheimer's society and have about 100 hours as an hospital volunteer aswell as about 100 of shadowing a general dentist as well as a couple of other small things. Is that enough or should I really try and get some research experience, sports etc?  

how important do you think EC are? because mine aren't really all that great, I've gone on a international volunteering trip with Canada World Youth, volunteered at the food bank, tutored with the boys and girls club, volunteered at the Alzheimer's society and have about 100 hours as an hospital volunteer aswell as about 100 of shadowing a general dentist as well as a couple of other small things. Is that enough or should I really try and get some research experience, sports etc?  

Your volunteering hours seem fine, as well as your shadowing but if you could get research experience, it will only make your application better. Do things that interest you and explain it well on your personal statement!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure if your gpa is competitive for UofT, I believe the minimum gpa cutoff (not for graduate students) was 3.91 this past cycle. I do think you have a competitive application for UWO. I agree with Nachoolibre, do things that you enjoy. It gives you a stronger foundation for your personal statement.

I'm not sure if your gpa is competitive for UofT, I believe the minimum gpa cutoff (not for graduate students) was 3.91 this past cycle. I do think you have a competitive application for UWO. I agree with Nachoolibre, do things that you enjoy. It gives you a stronger foundation for your personal statement.

Where did you get this information from? Because the uoft site says for 2015 the students interviewed had a an average of 3.85 and those who got accepted had a average of 3.9. It's kinda hard to believe that in one year the grades wen up by that much   

This is not true. The only cutoff at U of T is GPA greater than 3.0. There are people in my class with ~3.86.

To OP: With a 3.86 and your DAT scores, you have a slim chance of getting an interview at U of T. If you get an interview, you'll probably be the last person to get it. However, if you can significantly improve your DAT scores, that's a completely different story.

Where did you get this information from? Because the uoft site says for 2015 the students interviewed had a an average of 3.85 and those who got accepted had a average of 3.9. It's kinda hard to believe that in one year the grades wen up by that much   

My apologies I was thinking of the average interview scores as the cutoff scores because I set those scores as my own personal cutoff scores :P. Check out this thread: http://forums.premed101.com/index.php?/topic/89144-u-of-t-dentistry-interview-invites/page-3 a user kindly posted what the rejection letter stated. The averages for an interview was a 3.90/4.00, 23 AA and 21 PAT. 

Thanks knrosh93 for the correction! Also, I'm curious, for those with a ~3.86 gpa, did any of those students just finish their 3rd/4th year?

My apologies I was thinking of the average interview scores as the cutoff scores because I set those scores as my own personal cutoff scores :P. Check out this thread: http://forums.premed101.com/index.php?/topic/89144-u-of-t-dentistry-interview-invites/page-3 a user kindly posted what the rejection letter stated. The averages for an interview was a 3.90/4.00, 23 AA and 21 PAT. 

Thanks knrosh93 for the correction! Also, I'm curious, for those with a ~3.86 gpa, did any of those students just finish their 3rd/4th year?

Yes, I've only met a few people with GPAs below 3.90 in my class but they all just finished their 3rd and 4th year (i.e. no masters degree). If anyone's GPA is below 3.90, then their DAT scores become very important. 

Archived