Premed 101 Forums

Tpr Fls And Mcat Practice Tests

Wannabedoctorzab

I've been studying for the MCAT for the past 3 weeks and I've done 9 TPR FLs and the official practice test (sample test tomorrow).

I've been actively scoring anywhere from 500-504 for a while now on my TPR FLs. Everyone online has been saying that they are much much harder, HOWEVER, when I did the AAMC Practice test, I only scored a 505. I just had a serious nervous breakdown because my scores on the AAMC practice test were( PS/CARS/BS/PYS) 127/126/127/125 (DESPITE TPR PSYCH BEING THE HIGHEST)....

What do I do guys... My exam is on the 5th and based off of everyone (including 3 personal friends), TPR Fls are much harder than the real deal and the sample tests should be more indicative; however I only got 505, a 1 point boost... Everyone has said they got 10 point boosts. My friend had scored a highest of 503 on his and got a 513.... I'm incredibly depressed right now because I was hoping at a bare minimum 510 since my scores were pretty reasonable in the TPR tests...

Honestly, while the tests (TPR) may themselves be harder I never let any of my scores get me down nor did I focus too much on how it reflected on my overall performance. However, I did treat the AAMC material like the real deal, I stimulated the actual MCAT experience and told myself that I have studied hard, I am a good student and got myself motivated. I scored 512 on the AAMC scored FL a week before my exam and 85% overall on the sample FL. I was getting around 504-510's on all my TPR/Kaplan tests and around 514 on the NS FL. However, TBH I did not care about these scores, I did them in individual sections mostly so that I could more routinely go over why I got questions wrong, I honestly feel there is no point in doing practice tests as complete FLs, by the end of a FL I am exhausted and do not feel like spending anymore time reviewing it. So thats why I broke down the exam into chunks, 1 at a time and would spread them out until I was confident in each section.

By the end of my studying I was routinely getting 130+ on C/P, B/B and P/S, CARS for me always hovered around 126-128 so I could never really gauge that section. However, overall how you are scoring on these tests is within reason of what you will score on the real thing. Nevertheless, be focused on your MCAT day and aim high, you just never know..

My old MCAT score was a 26 (8/8/10) btw, so these types of tests you can always improve.

bump. pls help im having anxiety attacks

I want to try to reassure you. There is no need to panic at this point. Sure, the AAMC practice test gives you an *idea* of how you will do on the actual test, but it doesn't predict your actual score. Try not to let it get to you. On actual test day you will need confidence and trust in yourself, don't undermine all of the practice you have been doing.

For myself, I scored higher on actual test day than I did on any of the AAMC practice material. I found I always scored highest on TPR psych, but in the actual MCAT, it was my lowest score. I found TPR psych not very accurate to the true AAMC psych section. As you mentioned, TPR practice tests were about 10 points lower than my actual MCAT score, but NOT lower than my practice AAMC test.

I think the best advice is what MDHopeful said - "I never let any of my scores get me down nor did I focus too much on how it reflected on my overall performance." The only score that actually matters is the one you get on test day.

I want to try to reassure you. There is no need to panic at this point. Sure, the AAMC practice test gives you an *idea* of how you will do on the actual test, but it doesn't predict your actual score. Try not to let it get to you. On actual test day you will need confidence and trust in yourself, don't undermine all of the practice you have been doing.

For myself, I scored higher on actual test day than I did on any of the AAMC practice material. I found I always scored highest on TPR psych, but in the actual MCAT, it was my lowest score. I found TPR psych not very accurate to the true AAMC psych section. As you mentioned, TPR practice tests were about 10 points lower than my actual MCAT score, but NOT lower than my practice AAMC test.

I think the best advice is what MDHopeful said - "I never let any of my scores get me down nor did I focus too much on how it reflected on my overall performance." The only score that actually matters is the one you get on test day.

Is TPR Psych/Soc really that off? Any advice on how to better prepare? (I am currently using TPR)

I used TPR and briefly skimmed Kaplan, did around 6 P/S tests and was scoring 126-130.

Finished the actual P/S in my CAT with 30 minutes to spare and felt it easier than TPR P/S FLs.

Know your terms really well, I pretty much memorized the TPR P/S book and looked over the Kaplan book for things TPR missed.

Felt pretty prepared for the actual thing, I am not a Psych or Soc major/minor and never took any of those classes

Hmm okay. I have been scoring well on the TPR practice tests as well. However, I noticed there were a good chunk of terms I did not recognize at all in the AAMC question bank which was concerning.

Did you find the style of questions/passages differed quite a bit?

Hmm okay. I have been scoring well on the TPR practice tests as well. However, I noticed there were a good chunk of terms I did not recognize at all in the AAMC question bank which was concerning.

Did you find the style of questions/passages differed quite a bit?

Yes. Big differences. 

Remember, prep companies are for-profit organizations that aren't writing the exam.The AAMC is, and the companies are trying to guess what will be on it. Base your studying on the AAMC content outlines, question banks, and practice exams, using other companies materials as a supplement. If you aren't knowing terms on the AAMC questions, then learn them, even if the prep companies don't teach them 

I found that TPRs PS book resembled the AAMC content outline - I found they did a pretty good job covering a lot (but not all of AAMC content)

There were 4-5 terms I'd never seen on my test but you could take educated guesses just based on the names of the terms.

Passages on my test were very short and easy to follow

I didn't do any other sections on the TPR tests, my friend had been doing C/P and was getting 124-125s, so I didn't want to get discouraged. I stuck to Kaplan and was getting 128-129s on C/P, around 125-127 on CARS and 129-130 on B/B for the Kaplan tests.

I did also the NS tests, I think 1 and 2 and was getting around the same with slightly higher C/P. I found that the tests I did (Kaplan, NS, EK 1,2,3) and the two AAMC tests prepared me well. I had come across plenty of questions I had seen before. I prepped with Kaplan books and loved their Biochem book.

If you score well on the AAMC tests and the Section Banks you'll be fine. In case you want to know here are my AAMC scores

AAMC Scored: 512 (130/125/130/127)      AAMC Sample: Overall 85%

SB: 72/76/79 (CP/BB/PS)

All the best in your studies! You can do it.

I didn't do any other sections on the TPR tests, my friend had been doing C/P and was getting 124-125s, so I didn't want to get discouraged. I stuck to Kaplan and was getting 128-129s on C/P, around 125-127 on CARS and 129-130 on B/B for the Kaplan tests.

I did also the NS tests, I think 1 and 2 and was getting around the same with slightly higher C/P. I found that the tests I did (Kaplan, NS, EK 1,2,3) and the two AAMC tests prepared me well. I had come across plenty of questions I had seen before. I prepped with Kaplan books and loved their Biochem book.

If you score well on the AAMC tests and the Section Banks you'll be fine. In case you want to know here are my AAMC scores

AAMC Scored: 512 (130/125/130/127)      AAMC Sample: Overall 85%

SB: 72/76/79 (CP/BB/PS)

All the best in your studies! You can do it.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you end up scoring on the real thing? (higher/lower/same)

• 6 months later...

Archived