Premed 101 Forums

My Odd Adventure Into Isolated Rural Area Of Northern Ontario. Chances?

Hello Everyone, 

I was wondering if I should bother applying to NOSM. I have a nursing degree with a GPA of 3.65, and is a co-founder of a non for profit that helps the development of First Nation Rural communities of Nepal since 2013. I have experience working as a nurse in a critical care floor nurse in the city, but for the past year, I some how stumbled into a position as a Manager/team lead for program development of a telemedicine program for First Nation Population (more specifically, the northern first nation reserves). My position is located in a very isolated rural town, and I was wondering if my chances of being accepted into NOSM would be higher. My GPA isn't stellar either, and I was born and raised in toronto, so should I bother applying?

I work with a lot of physician who practice up north in isolated reserves that are only accessible by plane. I can see that this is something I want to do in my career, but I'm just not sure if I should apply, or I should work a few more years , then apply. I was also thinking about doing  a masters in public health. 

any thoughts =) ?

thank you

about one year so far

That will not be enough for a competitive context score. (I have a similar experience in NW Ontario and also worked in a First Nations reserve.) I understand where you are coming from, but it is not how they define context. You can choose to work there for a few more years (at least 5-6 years? check earlier threads), but I encourage you to explore other schools.

That will not be enough for a competitive context score. (I have a similar experience in NW Ontario and also worked in a First Nations reserve.) I understand where you are coming from, but it is not how they define context. You can choose to work there for a few more years (at least 5-6 years? check earlier threads), but I encourage you to explore other schools.

Does being francophone help my situation at all =P? 

Does being francophone help my situation at all =P? 

It could. However, NOSM says, " Choosing the Francophone Designation means more than simply being able to speak French." From NOSM's website:

If you choose the Francophone designation in your application for the purposes of the admissions process, you must be fluent in spoken French. In addition, you must meet ONE of the following criteria:

• One parent is Francophone and you attended at least eight years of French school (not immersion).
  • You have a diploma from a French high school.
  • You can demonstrate use of French in daily activities and a connection to a Francophone community.

If you choose the last situation then you must also, "provide a recommendation letter in French attesting to your connection to a Francophone community."

What is a context score? Can someone explain that please? 

Best advice is to check the NOSM section of the OMSAS website, or NOSM's own website.

In summary: its a score they give you based on your geographic location. The more rural the community, the higher the score. If the community is in NO as well= more points. I'm pretty sure it's based on how many years you've lived there, did you goto High School there, etc. as well. 

This is to give the admissions committee an idea if you're going to stay in the North after Medical School. Some people claim it's quite close to a RIO calculation score: http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/programs/northernhealth/rio_score.aspx , but that has never been said officially. 

Best advice is to check the NOSM section of the OMSAS website, or NOSM's own website.

In summary: its a score they give you based on your geographic location. The more rural the community, the higher the score. If the community is in NO as well= more points. I'm pretty sure it's based on how many years you've lived there, did you goto High School there, etc. as well. 

This is to give the admissions committee an idea if you're going to stay in the North after Medical School. Some people claim it's quite close to a RIO calculation score: http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/programs/northernhealth/rio_score.aspx , but that has never been said officially. 

Thanks!

Archived