Premed 101 Forums

Private Clinic And Adjacent Pharmacy - Conflict Of Interest?

Hello, posting this on behalf of a friend seeking thoughts from other practicing physicians/residents.

The scenario: established family physician moving to a new office on the 2nd floor of a building, anchored on the 1st floor by a large retail pharmacy. The retail pharmacy offers to pay 50% of the monthly office lease for the physician as an incentive to have more physicians in the building (and bring in more patients to fill their prescriptions due to the convenience of having a pharmacy downstairs). The pharmacy expects nothing in return from the physician.

Obviously, directing patients to fill their prescriptions at the pharmacy downstairs would be a big no-no (basically like getting kickbacks). But if you were clear about it, and perhaps had signs in your office / on your prescription pads stating "I don't endorse any particular pharmacy" - could this be ethically allowable? The reduced overhead is very tempting, but my friend doesn't want any trouble from the College.

What are your thoughts? Cheers!

I feel this is acceptable if the physician does not in any way recommend any particular pharmacy to the patients and it's even better if made in writing posted in WR.

Anecdotally I've seen a FMD whose daughter runs an adjacent pharmacy. He posted a sign in WR clearly stating the relationship and that patients are feel to choose their own pharmacy.

Get an opinion from the CMPA. Get an opinion from the College.

That was the first thing he did. College had no comment and said to speak with CMPA. CMPA said while it is legal, doctors should not be obtaining any benefits from another business, as it can be perceived a conflict of interest and he would open himself up to lawsuits.

So he's afraid to go with this deal even though he would probably be fine with a sign.

Many set-ups like this,  as long as you aren't endorsing the pharmacy, it should be fine.

The pharmacists don't even need your endorsement, they know that convenience of location will net them a decent conversion of patients to fill their scripts.  

Take it. The building owner is not giving you a lease discount specifically for referring to them, they are giving you it because of your presence in itself. Your presence in itself indirectly benefits them, but its not a conflict of interest as long as you don't openly say "go to that pharmacy".  Just write your scripts and be on your way.   It's a well established business model to have pharmacy's adjacent to doctors offices.

Archived