Premed 101 Forums

U Of C Mmis..

Hello everyone :),

I am currently a Masters student at u of c.  Last year, I applied to u of c medical school, but was rejected post interview. My interview score was slightly below average. I will be re-applying again, but I am afraid that my interview is what's holding me back. I am worried that I won't be able to improve upon my interviewing skills, because I am not sure what they are testing on MMIs. 

I can't apply to medical school outside of the province due to the fact that I have a below average GPA.  I re - wrote my MCAT this Summer, and I received a high score, but I won't still be competitive outside of Alberta. 

In regards to the interview, what would help in getting a higher interview score? Is it life experiences that help you score well on the interview? or is it the amount of practice with MMIs that one has before the interview?

I would really appreciate any input or insight about how one can improve on the MMIs. 

My advice is probably going to sound very non-specific..but I went from a low interview score two years in a row to a much better (albeit not amazing) interview score in the most recent cycle. Practice with other people, get comfortable talking about some random prompts with others. Try more than one person because not everyone will recognize the same things that you can improve upon (or even have the same opinion). A major part of the MMI is demonstrating you can be natural and relaxed in a high-stress environment. Think of the MMI stations as encounters with patients, because (in my opinion) that is what they are looking at. If you are super stressed, it is hard to think clearly and make logical sense. And at least at Case (where I am now), they drop us right into these kinds of situations very early (we had our first standardized patient interactions in the first 4 weeks).

At U of C, you start seeing actual patients as part of clinical correlation in the first few weeks, perhaps even less...just wanted to give that as a comparison to bearpuppy's experience at CWRU.

No advice except try to not sound canned..do your best to be natural to who you are. Practice is probably your best friend here. 

Hi everyone,

I'm actually in the same boat as premedcal except I scored really poorly on the MMI. I suspect that it could possibly be due to nerves as it was my first ever interview, but I think I was also less prepared for Calgary's creative MMI stations.

Beyond the suggestions that bearpuppy made are there any resources beyond the well known ones (e.g. doing right, UBC's mmi questions, UofC past mmi questions) that anyone would suggest?

I've also heard of recording one self via webcam, re-watching it, and critiquing it. I tried to do this in the last cycle, but I found it to be really uncomfortable and difficult to do. I plan to get over this discomfort and awkwardness in the upcoming cycle and do this more routinely. 

Please don't feel afraid if you think your methods/suggestions are already too conventional/obvious to mention as what may seem obvious to you and your friends may be totally alien to me!

Thanks!
Untraditional Applicant - Boopity Boop

Hi BoopityBoop,

I am sorry to hear that you scored poorly on MMIs. Recently, I met a person who interviewed three times at U of C, and  he eventually managed to get acceptance offers at several schools, including U of C and several other schools in Ontario. He started out with a score in the 5th percentile in his 1st U of C MMI. I guess that should give us some hope, that MMIs are something that you can improve on.

Best of Luck :)

Hi everyone,

I'm actually in the same boat as premedcal except I scored really poorly on the MMI. I suspect that it could possibly be due to nerves as it was my first ever interview, but I think I was also less prepared for Calgary's creative MMI stations.

Beyond the suggestions that bearpuppy made are there any resources beyond the well known ones (e.g. doing right, UBC's mmi questions, UofC past mmi questions) that anyone would suggest?

I've also heard of recording one self via webcam, re-watching it, and critiquing it. I tried to do this in the last cycle, but I found it to be really uncomfortable and difficult to do. I plan to get over this discomfort and awkwardness in the upcoming cycle and do this more routinely. 

Please don't feel afraid if you think your methods/suggestions are already too conventional/obvious to mention as what may seem obvious to you and your friends may be totally alien to me!

Thanks!

Untraditional Applicant - Boopity Boop

Hi BoopityBoop,

I am sorry to hear that you scored poorly on MMIs. Recently, I met a person who interviewed three times at U of C, and  he eventually managed to get acceptance offers at several schools, including U of C and several other schools in Ontario. He started out with a score in the 5th percentile in his 1st U of C MMI. I guess that should give us some hope, that MMIs are something that you can improve on.

Best of Luck :)

MMIs are definitely something you can improve on  :) BoopityBoop, check your PMs as well!

Archived