Premed 101 Forums

Mcat Doubts - August 19Th Test

Click

Hoping to gain some insight from you past test takers (or upcoming). Tomorrow's the big day and I would say I've done a fair share of studying over the past couple months.  Unfortunately, I only really had time to do the AAMC material in the past week and a half and it has me a bit worried.  I had taken the practice tests before most of the practice material but I'm finding the SBs and Qpacks harder than the actual practice tests.  Not sure why, since I have seen a lot of people say that the Q-packs are easier than the practice tests.  Having some thoughts on whether my practice tests were just a fluke or not.  I did feel like I was unsure on a lot of the questions. .. Anyway, here are my scores on the tests and practice material: 

Psych Section Bank - 77%

Bio Section Bank - 70%

C/P Section Bank - 60% 

Bio I Q-pack - ~80% 

Physics Q-pack - ~80%

CARS Q-pack I - ~70% 

OG Questions - CP (21/30); BB (22/30); CARS (24/30); Psych (26/30)

AAMC Scored - 513 (129/127/128/129)

AAMC Unscored - 80% (68%/81%/88%/83%)

Trying to do the last bio q-pack (II) and finding I just can't concentrate and am getting things wrong as well.  Not sure if any one else here felt the same way or could share their experience.

Thanks!

I recall finding the Q packs harder than the OG ad well (don't remember for the unscored; didn't have the scored test last yr). By now you would've done enough AAMC questions to know where your weaknesses are and what are the more high yield concepts, so relax and don't anymore questions (you're probably not going to have enough time to review them in depth and you're freaking yourself out). If you want to still do something productive, I'd do a last skim of your weak/high yield topics.

What Muffin said, the day before your exam is the day for your brain to take one last break before it gets used to such a high capacity, you won't be able to feel your face after the test. So just take it easy, what you know now is pretty much what you're going to be using tomorrow. Just remember to think hard tomorrow, and read carefully. Good luck.

For sure. For me, the test center I went to was great. I do suggest arriving 45 minutes+ ahead of time because checking in can be quite long. With regards to studying, it's hard to say since I don't know what you have studied and the variety of content on the exam is extremely variable. I will say that all the AAMC material is invaluable and you should use it. 

Happy studying!

I'm a little late, but I hope it went great! Do you have any advice for me (test-day logistics, stuff you regret not studying, etc.). I have my MCAT in about two weeks, and I can't wait till I'm finally done with everything MCAT related!

Seasoned test-taker here (necessity of 7 years of undergrad and 2 MCAT seatings):

- Wear something comfortable, yet still nice enough for you to not feel self-conscious about looking crappy (if you care at all).

- Pack extra snacks--you don't have to eat everything but it's good to have in case you get extra hungry. Complex carb for breakfast (to last you from registration to your first break), and simple sugar + some protein for 10-minute breaks (fresh fruit, dry fruit in trail mix, etc). Watch the salt, since you can't bring water to the test room.

- always drink some water and go to the bathroom during every break, regardless of whether you think you need it

- careful with fibre the day before and the day of the test. Being constipated is not a good feeling, but neither is being distracted by the need to defecate while you're reading passages

- You don't *have* to return to your station right at the 10-minute and 30 minute mark. The next section won't start until you hit 'next'. So feel free to squeeze every minute out of those breaks.

EDIT: just realized most of these are food and drink related LOL. Must be the food and nutrition grad in me.

Archived