Premed 101 Forums

Stethoscope Options?

Hey all,

I know Littmann Classic is the standard, what are the main competitors. Does everyone just get a Littmann? Seeing one brand dominate automatically makes me want to search for alternatives. Anyone have recommendations for more affordable, quality, alternatives?

Thanks!

Hey all,

I know Littmann Classic is the standard, what are the main competitors. Does everyone just get a Littmann? Seeing one brand dominate automatically makes me want to search for alternatives. Anyone have recommendations for more affordable, quality, alternatives?

Thanks!

I can't speak for quality but I think that the reason that most people get the Littmann Cardiology (3/4) is that they look the same as your peers/residents/staff. Have very rarely seen a non littmann steth on the wards. You would stand out if you had a different brand. Not that this is a good reason to pay more money for a steth. I rarely use mine in residency.

Usually when one brand dominates - especially in a field such a medicine - it means that the quality of it is good; especially for something as sensitive as auscultation. I'm not sure what your school suggests, but mine suggests we buy the Cardiology 4. I have the cardiology 3 from my Master's program, and it works wonderfully.

Usually when one brand dominates - especially in a field such a medicine - it means that the quality of it is good; especially for something as sensitive as auscultation. I'm not sure what your school suggests, but mine suggests we buy the Cardiology 4. I have the cardiology 3 from my Master's program, and it works wonderfully.

There's a Cardiology 4?  Man I feel old...

I can't speak for quality but I think that the reason that most people get the Littmann Cardiology (3/4) is that they look the same as your peers/residents/staff. Have very rarely seen a non littmann steth on the wards. You would stand out if you had a different brand. Not that this is a good reason to pay more money for a steth. I rarely use mine in residency.

That's the thing, I can't stand brand monopoly and paying a giant markup just for conformity.

That's the thing, I can't stand brand monopoly and paying a giant markup just for conformity.

probably the other way around here in the beginning- they sell to medical students them relatively cheaply so that the conformity is maintained. So you get used to that type and after using it for 5 years don't want another brand. Then there is the price jump.......

Well they've done an amazing job, because we're 5 replies in, and no one has an alternative! Damn they're good marketers.

probably the other way around here in the beginning- they sell to medical students them relatively cheaply so that the conformity is maintained. So you get used to that type and after using it for 5 years don't want another brand. Then there is the price jump.......

Well they've done an amazing job, because we're 5 replies in, and no one has an alternative! Damn they're good marketers.

yes, yes they are :)

They have this entire stethoscope ordering day - which often somehow gets floor space at more medical schools to sell their wares. Then there is big party like atmosphere when they actually arrive for pick up. Everyone is just so darn happy, hehe

It does feel a bit cultish. This is not to say that the actual product doesn't work well - it does indeed. 

side note - perhaps you noticed that many tv shows had medical personnel - even the nurses - walking around with their top of the line electronic stethoscopes at around 400 a pop recently. Saw that on nurse jackie for instance. Guess who donated them as props. 

yes, yes they are :)

They have this entire stethoscope ordering day - which often somehow gets floor space at more medical schools to sell their wares. Then there is big party like atmosphere when they actually arrive for pick up. Everyone is just so darn happy, hehe

It does feel a bit cultish. This is not to say that the actual product doesn't work well - it does indeed. 

side note - perhaps you noticed that many tv shows had medical personnel - even the nurses - walking around with their top of the line electronic stethoscopes at around 400 a pop recently. Saw that on nurse jackie for instance. Guess who donated them as props. 

ha..oh boy.

Interesting marketing, good observation.

btw I'd venture to say if you have a pretty good idea of the specialty you want to pursue, maybe ask the residents in that specialty how often they use their stethoscope. If your specialty doesn't use one often, then you can probably get by med school with a cheap nursing one.

I find as residency goes on stethoscopes are less and less useful for many specialties (of course not IM/Cardio)

Interesting marketing, good observation.

btw I'd venture to say if you have a pretty good idea of the specialty you want to pursue, maybe ask the residents in that specialty how often they use their stethoscope. If your specialty doesn't use one often, then you can probably get by med school with a cheap nursing one.

I find as residency goes on stethoscopes are less and less useful for many specialties (of course not IM/Cardio)

if you want to know how often you will use the stethoscope just look at the staff in that field. Are they wearing one all the time? If the answer is no then you basically never need one. 

The benefit to conformity in this instance is that at some point early on in medical school, you will be in a physical exam session and hear nothing even remotely resembling what you're told you're supposed to. Split S2? Gallop? What? Everyone else will be pretending they hear exactly what their supposed to, even though it's pretty much guaranteed they hear nothing, like you. You will at that point start to question whether you have a faulty stethoscope or if you're just really, really bad at this.

At least if you've got the same stethoscope as everyone else you can just move on with learning. ;)

The cardiology III I use at school was free - a gift from my provincial medical society. I had already purchased one before I received this one so I now have two entirely unnecessarily, hah.

Previously, I'd used a Sprague Rappaport which is a relatively cheap but functional stethoscope. I still have it (gave it to my daughter to play with) and I do find I can hear better on the Littmanns, but by a relatively small margin. But I'm also not really at the point where I can hear more subtle things yet anyway so I couldn't even begin to tell you if the difference would be more significant for subtler sounds. There are definitely other options, but you'd be unlikely to see them in med school classes.

Most med students have the cardiology 3 from Littman and it's pretty great. I know the 4 is out now and there is probably not much of a difference. If you have a 3, there's probably no point getting the 4.

I tried some other people's Littman SE 2 and I didn't notice any difference with my cardiology 3. Disclaimer: I do openly admit that I suck with heart sounds. Cardiologists probably see a difference.

In fact, I've seen many attendings (non cardiologists) use cheaper stethoscopes such as the SE 2.

One important thing though, I recommend a longer tubing than the standard tube length. It looks ugly, but many children look at you and cough directly at your face, and a longer tube is practical in these instances.

• 2 weeks later...

i chose my stethoscope and colour based on what my childhood family doc had...it was all part of the romanticizing of the profession as a newly minted med student.

surprisingly i still use mine in residency despite being in psych, mainly on call. it's hard to find one on a psych unit when you need it!!

If it doesn't have three heads its not a real steth: 

http://www.allheart.com/welch-allyn-tycos-latex-free-harvey-dlx-triple-head-stethoscope/p/ty507932xth/

In all seriousness, I have actually seen cardiology residents use this though. 

P.S. you are going to be the butt of a few jokes if you wear this as a junior med student hahaha  

If it doesn't have three heads its not a real steth: 

http://www.allheart.com/welch-allyn-tycos-latex-free-harvey-dlx-triple-head-stethoscope/p/ty507932xth/

In all seriousness, I have actually seen cardiology residents use this though. 

P.S. you are going to be the butt of a few jokes if you wear this as a junior med student hahaha  

that is starting to look like how we market razors - now with yet another diaphragm, the new steth pro 3000.....

• 5 months later...

unfortunately i bought into the whole buy the best stethoscope thing during medical school.

now i look back and realize i didnt have to spend that much money into this thing that i carry around my neck.

if you are planning to specialize in any of the following specialties, invest in a good stethoscope (e.g. littman cardiology 3 or welch allyn harvey elite). The difference between littman and welch allyn is that littman is more recognizable and has a fixed angulation of the ear pieces and is made in whole whereas the welch allyn is made up of many parts which can be replaced but sometimes fall apart. The auscultation is pretty similar between the two.

- FM, IM, ER, Anes, CardiacSx

Otherwise, go get one of those cheap littmann classic II just to get through medschool. GSx/Plastics/Uro/Optho/Radio/Path/Psych/RadOnc/LabMed/Obgyn will certainly not benefit from the above stethoscopes.

Peds is unique so w.e.

I've been a nurse for about 6 years now, and I will say that having invested up from the classic to cardiology I was amazed at the difference. My cardiovascular and respiratory assessment did really improve. I didn't realize how much I wasn't hearing. Especially for heart sounds, murmers, rubs, etc are more distinct .

Now that being said your stethoscope will grow legs, so mark it carefully, and be wary of it. Lol they tend to walk off. I have a blood band wrapped around mine, with my name and number in the inside.

Archived