• Please log in to reply
398 replies to this topic

#1 LittleDaisy

LittleDaisy

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 11:23 PM

Good luck to all of you!!!

p.s: Is it normal that the platform seems not to be working right now? The CaRMS platform opened up today :P

This thread could also be for anyone who wants to rant about CaRMS 2017! :) Or any questions concerning CaRMS application! (if the forum could not answer your questions, always refer to the CaRMS bilingual help desk) 

MD 2017 :) Almost there!

#2 ralk

ralk

• Members
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 12:07 AM

Got some of the initial steps done today, seems to be working. Going to wait until the weekend though to get some documents uploaded and start figuring out how the LORs are supposed to work within the CaRMS system.

Weird feeling to be at this point... now I just want it to be over and for match day to be here!  :lol:

• ellorie likes this

MD 2017 - Schulich School of Medicine

"The word blarg has no concrete or absolute meaning"

I wanted to start blogging but didn't know how, so I started blarging. I don't know what it is either. Please visit my Medical Blarg!

#3 LittleDaisy

LittleDaisy

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 12:10 AM

Ahahh works for me now!

Has anyone ever asked a referee to submit a LOR in English and French? 

I am from the lovely province of Québec, so some of my staff physicians are bilingual. But I don't know if it would be too much of me to ask them to submit the LOR in 2 languages?

Got some of the initial steps done today, seems to be working. Going to wait until the weekend though to get some documents uploaded and start figuring out how the LORs are supposed to work within the CaRMS system.

Weird feeling to be at this point... now I just want it to be over and for match day to be here!  :lol:

• feversugar likes this

#4 MunGunner

MunGunner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 12:28 AM

I managed to fill out everything until the payment step where it asked me to fill in credit card info but then did not have any boxes for me to put it in!?

#5 LittleDaisy

LittleDaisy

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 12:54 AM

It worked for me.....My intuition is that so many medical students using the carms platform now, so there might a some technical problem.

If it doesn't work by tmr, contact or call the carms help desk :)

I managed to fill out everything until the payment step where it asked me to fill in credit card info but then did not have any boxes for me to put it in!?

#6 ralk

ralk

• Members
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 12:54 AM

Well, I gave someone my credit card information, so I hope it went to CaRMS!

I wanted to start blogging but didn't know how, so I started blarging. I don't know what it is either. Please visit my Medical Blarg!

#7 LittleDaisy

LittleDaisy

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 01:48 AM

Why does CaRMs make us fill out so many personal information, almost building a chronological autobiography lol 

while some programs still require a custom C.V as additional document....??

Well, I gave someone my credit card information, so I hope it went to CaRMS!

#8 samy

samy

• Members
  • 570 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 01:52 AM

Good luck all ! I might see a few of you during the interviews ! 

• LittleDaisy likes this

MD McGill 2011-2015 - McGill Internal Medicine 2015-2018

#9 feversugar

feversugar

• Members
  • 340 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 02:35 AM

CaRMS has a (expensive) professional translation service. My suggestion would be to ask them to submit one letter in their most fluent language and have CaRMS translate it so that they can spend more time working on a quality letter.

Ahahh works for me now!
Has anyone ever asked a referee to submit a LOR in English and French?
I am from the lovely province of Québec, so some of my staff physicians are bilingual. But I don't know if it would be too much of me to ask them to submit the LOR in 2 languages?

Wit beyond measure is a man's greatest treasure.

#10 amichel

amichel

• Members
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 03:07 AM

We need addresses for referees?!? Do we just put the hospital address or what?

U of C Medicine Class of 2017

#11 LittleDaisy

LittleDaisy

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 12:23 AM

Yes put their professional address is better than personal address IMO :)

We need addresses for referees?!? Do we just put the hospital address or what?

#12 shikimate

shikimate

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 02:14 AM

Just wondering what are the school admin saying these days about competitiveness and backing up? Seems many specialties including Internal has been consistently competitive in the last few years. Are the admins more wary these days of not matching? 

"I try to decorate my imagination as much as I can." - F. Schubert

#13 LittleDaisy

LittleDaisy

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 02:52 AM

I don't know about the school admins...but my medical school guidance counselor has consistently told us that a narrow application strategy for CaRMS is a NO NO, and apply broadly and always imagine the WORST scenario for CaRMS.

The hard thing about competing with medical students, is that everyone is good and we all work hard...so I could imagine how hard it must be for selection committee to turn down students for interviews.

I guess that it depends on what you really want, and how comfortable of you are with not getting your top specialty?

Some people prefer to not match, and take a year to make them more competitive and apply the next year.

Just wondering what are the school admin saying these days about competitiveness and backing up? Seems many specialties including Internal has been consistently competitive in the last few years. Are the admins more wary these days of not matching? 

#14 toastman

toastman

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 02:34 PM

im having the exact some problem. both on chrome and safari, any luck yet? 

#15 MunGunner

MunGunner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 10:48 PM

im having the exact some problem. both on chrome and safari, any luck yet? 

Still the same issue, I spoke with CaRMS they said they were aware of the issue and are working on it. Time is money!!

#16 rmorelan

rmorelan

Super Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 16,459 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 12:46 AM

just chiming in to say good luck to everyone! Stressful time of course, but you will get through it :)

as always if anyone has any questions those of us who went through it already will be happy to try to help out. 

Our knowledge has made us cynical.
Our cleverness, hard and unkind.
We think too much and feel too little.
More than machinery we need humanity.
More than cleverness we need kindness and gentleness.
Without these qualities, life will be violent and all will be lost.
-
Schulich Medicine 2013, PGY4 - Ottawa for Radiology

yoda.jpg

#17 LittleDaisy

LittleDaisy

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 03:32 AM

I can't create coversheet on the CaRMS platform today, this is a new problem :( Anyone experiencing diffculties with coversheet as well??

I really hope that the platform won't crush on March 1st :P

Still the same issue, I spoke with CaRMS they said they were aware of the issue and are working on it. Time is money!!

#18 ralk

ralk

• Members
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 07:26 PM

I can't create coversheet on the CaRMS platform today, this is a new problem :( Anyone experiencing diffculties with coversheet as well??

I really hope that the platform won't crush on March 1st :P

I was able to get one prepared, but it was for a letter that had already been sent in a few months ago (so I didn't have to send it, just had to print it). I think it worked ok... maybe?

#19 LittleDaisy

LittleDaisy

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 07:53 PM

Hello Ralk, yeah it is working now! :)

I just realized how a slight CaRMs platform technical problem could be stressful for CaRMs applicants :P

Anyone here who has used CaRMS translation services? Is it a good quality translation company?

I was able to get one prepared, but it was for a letter that had already been sent in a few months ago (so I didn't have to send it, just had to print it). I think it worked ok... maybe?

#20 Sarvish

Sarvish

• Members
  • 684 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 03:23 AM

Good luck all! Oh how the time flies. And the entire CaRMS process is only 6 months long.

Mac career counselors are pushing hard for us to just match in general but quite a few of us are planning on only applying to 1 specialty and accepting that a year off may be needed.

• LittleDaisy likes this
MacMed 2017

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users