Premed 101 Forums

Do I Still Have A Shot?

Multiple MCATs are taken into consideration at U of C as part of their subjective assessment of academics but this only accounts for 10% of your pre-interview score and factors in a number of other things (ex. difficulty of your coursework/program etc.).  Regardless, a friend of mine wrote the MCAT 6 times (5x old, 1x new) and was offered admission in Calgary on her second attempt. 

To the best of my knowledge, most schools in Canada either take your best/most recent MCAT.  I don't think the number of times you've written it matters much here, but can be detrimental when applying to the US.

I suggest you stockpile as many verbal resources as you can and work through them over the next few months.  You don't need to neglect the other sections in your preparation.  What worked well for me and what I often recommend to other people is to do at least 3 verbal passages a day under strict timed conditions (10 min for 7 question passage, 9 min for 6 question passage and 8 min for 5 question passage).  Even if you don't plan on studying anything else that day, do at least 3 verbal passages.  It took my score from 126-127 when I first started preparing (mid-April 2015) to 131 on test day (June 2015). 

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Sorry I wish I saw your post sooner.

But for what its worth, I'm currently 27, an Ontario resident, and...

I wrote the old MCAT three times as well

2011: 11/06/10

2013: 14/08/12

2014: 11/10/12

cGPA: 3.53

wGPA (UofT): I don't meet the requirements

wGPA (Queen's): 3.84

Did 5 years of undergrad and my GPA for each year in order was roughly 3.1, 3.1, 3.8, 3.8, 3.9

Applied in 2013 (only to Ontario schools - no interviews), 2014 (Ontario schools plus 8 U.S. schools - no interviews), 2015 (Ontario schools plus 26 U.S. schools - received an interview at Queens only - waitlisted and ultimately rejected).

I also finished a thesis-based MSc (2014) plus a few pubs and abstracts during that time.

In a nutshell: I'm not sure what the Queen's cutoffs are from year to year but you're for sure fine with your GPA. Also I have a friend who was accepted to UofT in 2010 and he had 9/10/9 and a wGPA of 4.0. So basically the same as your stats - so it's definitely possible for you to be accepted there.

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I am 25 and this will be my fourth year of applying to med school. I have taken the MCAT three times, scores as follows:

2013: 5/11/8

2014: 7/10/9

2015: 124/127/128/127 total 504-508 depending on confidence band

Last year was my first time getting an interview in my home province. I know my MCAT scores are too low to really apply OOP but I think I could have a chance in my home province if I do well enough on my interview this year (of course assuming I get one)!

What do you think, do I even have a chance?

Considering taking the MCAT for a fourth time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry I wish I saw your post sooner.

But for what its worth, I'm currently 27, an Ontario resident, and...

I wrote the old MCAT three times as well

2011: 11/06/10

2013: 14/08/12

2014: 11/10/12

cGPA: 3.53

wGPA (UofT): I don't meet the requirements

wGPA (Queen's): 3.84

Did 5 years of undergrad and my GPA for each year in order was roughly 3.1, 3.1, 3.8, 3.8, 3.9

Applied in 2013 (only to Ontario schools - no interviews), 2014 (Ontario schools plus 8 U.S. schools - no interviews), 2015 (Ontario schools plus 26 U.S. schools - received an interview at Queens only - waitlisted and ultimately rejected).

I also finished a thesis-based MSc (2014) plus a few pubs and abstracts during that time.

In a nutshell: I'm not sure what the Queen's cutoffs are from year to year but you're for sure fine with your GPA. Also I have a friend who was accepted to UofT in 2010 and he had 9/10/9 and a wGPA of 4.0. So basically the same as your stats - so it's definitely possible for you to be accepted there.

Good luck!

Did you not get any interviews from any US schools? Did they give any feedback or do you know why you didn't get any love from the US?

Archived