Premed 101 Forums

Canadian Contemplating U Syd

donny13

I am a recent graduate of a 4 year degree from Canada (2016) and have recently been accepted to U-Syd for this coming January. I don't have many strong ties over there, and am ideally looking to come back to practice in Canada for Family Medicine at the end of my degree. However, I understand that based on the CaRMs match rate, this might not be possible to do so. If I go, I plan to do as much as I can to better my odds of coming back, such as taking electives in Canada, and studying hard for the MCCEE and NAC as early as possible. What are some other ways to better my odds?

I am also open to specializing in Family Medicine in either the US, or staying in Australia, but I understand there is an internship crisis happening there that makes it increasingly difficult to obtain a spot there. I'm not sure what it will be like by the time I graduate in 2020, but I was hoping to get more incite on this as the research I've encountered is bleak or outdated. Ultimately, my question is, how likely will I be to realize my dream of doing into Family Medicine as an international student studying at U-Syd?

Isn't Family one of the only residencies that you can expect to get as an IMG? Maybe it would be hard in Toronto, but if you go somewhere smaller it shouldn't be an issue. Unless things have changed a lot in the past few years and Family is no longer a given for an IMG. Can anyone confirm this?

Family was never a given for an IMG. It was always an up hill battle. but it was the best chance out of a bunch of crappy chances.

• 4 weeks later...

I am a recent graduate of a 4 year degree from Canada (2016) and have recently been accepted to U-Syd for this coming January. I don't have many strong ties over there, and am ideally looking to come back to practice in Canada for Family Medicine at the end of my degree. However, I understand that based on the CaRMs match rate, this might not be possible to do so. If I go, I plan to do as much as I can to better my odds of coming back, such as taking electives in Canada, and studying hard for the MCCEE and NAC as early as possible. What are some other ways to better my odds?

I am also open to specializing in Family Medicine in either the US, or staying in Australia, but I understand there is an internship crisis happening there that makes it increasingly difficult to obtain a spot there. I'm not sure what it will be like by the time I graduate in 2020, but I was hoping to get more incite on this as the research I've encountered is bleak or outdated. Ultimately, my question is, how likely will I be to realize my dream of doing into Family Medicine as an international student studying at U-Syd?

If you are hard working and open to Canada, US and AUS for Fam Med you are very likely to get a spot, I would say your odds are probably over 80% to say it conservatively. 

The internship crisis in Australia, I haven't heard much from in recent months, while I haven't kept up to date it might have been resolved. Luckily, in Australia, politicians have tried to keep international medical students in australia from being unemployed. 

Family medicine isn't competitive in the US, if you were to score an average score on the USMLEs you would almost surely get a spot in the US if you applied broadly and did electives.

Even in Canada, as a CSA who does Canadian electives you should have a 50-60% chance of matching or higher. 

It is hard to focus your eggs in multiple baskets for sure, but doing a few electives in Canada and maybe one in the States will probably give you the best chance of matching. 

• 10 months later...

Not sure if people are still reading this, but it's not hard to get an FM position in the US as an IMG. IM is quite a bit more difficult to get, but still doable. Many of my American friends had to go for FM because they could not get IM. Nonetheless, I wouldn't be concerned about not becoming a family doctor if you went to USyd. Australian FM training will also likely have reciprocity with Canada. What I would be "concerned with" is that if you spend long enough in Australia, you will likely like it so much that you may want to stay. I spent 4 years of post-graduate training in the US and I fell in love with the US. I didn't have any strong inclination to come back to Canada except that my family is here. But overall, I liked the US more than Canada for various reasons. 

Archived