Premed 101 Forums

Mcat Increase

I have applied in previous years. My reason for rejection (based on phone discussion) was my MCAT, which was a 24 (ouch). I am in the NB competition. I retook the exam this year, and got a 506 (126 physical sci, 127 psych, 124 bio, 129 cars) which is like a 29 in the old system. Does anyone think thats competitive enough for the NB competition? My gpa is 3.7 ungrad, my masters gpa is 3.9 and I have solid extracurriculars, letters, etc. 

I previously had similar stats that you now have. Interviewed both times I applied, rejected both. They told me I was competitive with a 29 MCAT an 80% average (UG), but that the NB pool is typically extremely tough.

That said, the interview is huge. For stats like ours we need to knock the socks off them apparently to put ourself over the top. Did they give you any indication where you stood on your interview?

I previously had similar stats that you now have. Interviewed both times I applied, rejected both. They told me I was competitive with a 29 MCAT an 80% average (UG), but that the NB pool is typically extremely tough.

That said, the interview is huge. For stats like ours we need to knock the socks off them apparently to put ourself over the top. Did they give you any indication where you stood on your interview?

Hey thank you for your reply!

Yes they said I did above average in the Multi Mini Interview, and average in the personal. So maybe if I repeat the success in the MMI and do a bit better in the traditional, combined with new letters (from a few more prominent people), mcat, etc, might factor into some success...who knows! 

Hey thank you for your reply!

Yes they said I did above average in the Multi Mini Interview, and average in the personal. So maybe if I repeat the success in the MMI and do a bit better in the traditional, combined with new letters (from a few more prominent people), mcat, etc, might factor into some success...who knows! 

Be careful with the letters. I used a prominent person who has known me my entire life as a close family friend. That was commented on in my review, to have somebody who has seen me in action (i.e. - volunteer supervisor, professor, supervisor at work, Masters/PhD supervisor) rather than somebody who is prominent and knows you well.

PM me if you'd like to go through some interview prep together, I'm looking for all the practice I can get!

Be careful with the letters. I used a prominent person who has known me my entire life as a close family friend. That was commented on in my review, to have somebody who has seen me in action (i.e. - volunteer supervisor, professor, supervisor at work, Masters/PhD supervisor) rather than somebody who is prominent and knows you well.

PM me if you'd like to go through some interview prep together, I'm looking for all the practice I can get!

Hey! Yeah no, it was my masters research project supervisor, who I've known for 2 years but also has seen me work under research/academic settings. He just happens to be prominent! But thanks for the advice.

Yes I will do that, that would be great! 

Hey guys

I'm am an in province resident ...I have so much info to send admissions Bc they keep asking for so much yet I've lived here long enough (kinda makes me mad cause NL is my home but anyways, I have so much paperwork that I can't even decide if I should continue with it given......)

I Just got my mcat scores

And..

Last year I got 121 for every section

This year I got 118,122,121,123

Both times I got 484...

I feel like a loser. I spent so much time on my app. My refs are amazing. Lots of research , ECs exceptional , average GPA greater than 80%...

Should I even bother to submit my results and continue on with this mess? Feelin low

Hey man, I am sorry to hear that. Because you are a NL resident, you certainly have a better chance than NB residents. The only thing I can say is that there is a section the application that asks you to add anything you want the committee to know. If you think for any reason at all your ability to score well has been affected by anything (low economic status, family burdens, etc) then definitely add that next time if you haven't this time. I don't want t tell anyone to just give up, if you already paid and applied, I'd go right ahead anyways. If you aren't successful, maybe rewrite and write one hell of a supplementary response. 

Good luck!!!!

I have applied in previous years. My reason for rejection (based on phone discussion) was my MCAT, which was a 24 (ouch). I am in the NB competition. I retook the exam this year, and got a 506 (126 physical sci, 127 psych, 124 bio, 129 cars) which is like a 29 in the old system. Does anyone think thats competitive enough for the NB competition? My gpa is 3.7 ungrad, my masters gpa is 3.9 and I have solid extracurriculars, letters, etc.

I was accepted as an NB applicant in 2010 with a 33 MCAT and 4.2 GPA. I also interviewed when it was a different interview format. The NB spots for MUN are probably harder to get into. I did get refused that same year from Dal though likely because I hate MMIs and am not good at them.

Good luck! PM me if you want, I like to try to help NB applicants, or any applicants for that matter.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys

I'm am an in province resident ...I have so much info to send admissions Bc they keep asking for so much yet I've lived here long enough (kinda makes me mad cause NL is my home but anyways, I have so much paperwork that I can't even decide if I should continue with it given......)

I Just got my mcat scores

And..

Last year I got 121 for every section

This year I got 118,122,121,123

Both times I got 484...

I feel like a loser. I spent so much time on my app. My refs are amazing. Lots of research , ECs exceptional , average GPA greater than 80%...

Should I even bother to submit my results and continue on with this mess? Feelin low

Hey you

i totally know the feeling. i have no formal science training so i taught myself all the mcat content from scratch and i ended up with a 498. i bombed chem/phys (118) but aced CARS (131) and did middling on the other two (124 and 127 respectively).

i have a PhD, great GPA, hundreds of thousands of dollars (literally) in scholarships and research grants (or rather, approximately $190,000 in scholarships and grants in the last 6 years) and tonnes of ECs and work experience in care related fields (worked at women's centres, sexual assault crisis centres, and worked on an advocacy campaign to improve health facilities within prisons, for example). oh i wrote the hell out of those essays.

but, its the 14th of october and no interview invite yet. i feel pretty bummed out about that and think that perhaps i should have done things like included publications in my application, and spent more time explaining why my MCAT scores would be below average (self-taught). i just wanted to find a balance between making excuses and just letting my application stand and my other qualities shine.

anyway, who knows. i still hold out a flicker of hope that an invite with come next week, but i'm with you. you work so hard on things and its sad to have to wait another year to re-apply if you don't get an interview this year. Fingers crossed? for us both.

Hey did you end up getting an interview this year? Just wondering bc you listed ur stars so it gives me

Some insight into what they want sighhhh ...!

Hey did you end up getting an interview this year? Just wondering bc you listed ur stars so it gives me

Some insight into what they want sighhhh ...!

Hey, yes I received it the first day they went out! I improved on Mcat, letters and a few other aspects but this is My third invite as a NB resident

Good luck! Hope they come out tomorrow!

Archived