Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey MUNmed2015 - didn't you say earlier that you thought you had a strong application? did anyone else feel that way too? maybe, as darknessfalls suggests, the cut offs were higher this year. i also felt like i had a strong application - well, i had a low MCAT but i had lots of other things going for me.

anyway, let meknow if you'd like to start a thread to discuss how to improve our applications for hte next cycle. i want to get started early because i really am committed to success next year if this year doesn't pan out. 

morning all remaining hopefuls.

i called this morning and the admissions office said that, yes, as of today chances are slim but that interview invites will continue to go out through this week. 

i asked if the invites continued to go out because the admissions committee was doing rolling assessments, and sending along invites as they make decisions and she said yes, more or less. she said that "we send out the invites as we get them from the committee".

so, hope is fading but it is still there.

otherwise, she said that office notice of rejection will go out the 1st or 2nd week of November. as soon as that notice is received you can call to make an appointment to discuss your application, why it was not successful, and what you can do to improve it for next time.

so, there's that. all in all i'm pretty resigned to not getting an interview as its getting rather late in the game, and while my overall application was strong i felt, i had a pretty low MCAT score and that might have sunk my ship before it even sailed. that being said, i'm doing my best to stay positive for next year and to get started right away on studying for my MCAT rewrite and planning how to improve my application for next year.

i'm in st john's if any other local hopefuls want to meet up for studying or planning for next year at some point in the future. i've always found that having a team of fellow hopefuls helps me stay motivated and positive.

hey MUNmed2015 - didn't you say earlier that you thought you had a strong application? did anyone else feel that way too? maybe, as darknessfalls suggests, the cut offs were higher this year. i also felt like i had a strong application - well, i had a low MCAT but i had lots of other things going for me.

anyway, let meknow if you'd like to start a thread to discuss how to improve our applications for hte next cycle. i want to get started early because i really am committed to success next year if this year doesn't pan out.

Yes I would love that! Much needed . Just like yourself I am also a non trad applicant . Are you ip or Oop ? Also, my application seems to mirrors yours, in that everything is strong but my mcat was low. Definitely a below average mcat. I think mun actually did place a lot of importance on the mcat this year given it's a new exam and all. People likely had better stats too, or so that's my take. But I'm sure we'll figure it out soon.

Anyone know when we can call in to ask why we didn't get an invite? I know they usually have a date when unsuccessful applicants can discuss the reasons to or phone in.

Regardless, I encourage you all to keep up the posts!! It definitely helps everyone out. Even if you think no ones reading, I guarantee you several people are!

morning all remaining hopefuls.

i called this morning and the admissions office said that, yes, as of today chances are slim but that interview invites will continue to go out through this week.

i asked if the invites continued to go out because the admissions committee was doing rolling assessments, and sending along invites as they make decisions and she said yes, more or less. she said that "we send out the invites as we get them from the committee".

so, hope is fading but it is still there.

otherwise, she said that office notice of rejection will go out the 1st or 2nd week of November. as soon as that notice is received you can call to make an appointment to discuss your application, why it was not successful, and what you can do to improve it for next time.

so, there's that. all in all i'm pretty resigned to not getting an interview as its getting rather late in the game, and while my overall application was strong i felt, i had a pretty low MCAT score and that might have sunk my ship before it even sailed. that being said, i'm doing my best to stay positive for next year and to get started right away on studying for my MCAT rewrite and planning how to improve my application for next year.

i'm in st john's if any other local hopefuls want to meet up for studying or planning for next year at some point in the future. i've always found that having a team of fellow hopefuls helps me stay motivated and positive.

Didn't see this before posting my Q. Thanks for the info! Supe helpful! I guess I'll call in after mid nov. Did you take the new exam or apply with the old one? I am starting to wonder if they know how to properly assess the new exam bc they also accept the old one which I think is strange bc no other medical school in the country is doing that. Sooo.. You know.. They prob have more applicants than ever before... given everyone else with an old mcat has to write the new one to even gain an interview for this or future cycles .

Yes I would love that! Much needed . Just like yourself I am also a non trad applicant . Are you ip or Oop ? Also, my application seems to mirrors yours, in that everything is strong but my mcat was low. Definitely a below average mcat. I think mun actually did place a lot of importance on the mcat this year given it's a new exam and all. People likely had better stats too, or so that's my take. But I'm sure we'll figure it out soon.

Anyone know when we can call in to ask why we didn't get an invite? I know they usually have a date when unsuccessful applicants can discuss the reasons to or phone in.

Regardless, I encourage you all to keep up the posts!! It definitely helps everyone out. Even if you think no ones reading, I guarantee you several people are!

Hey -

i'm IP, but just. I moved to town 3 years ago with my partner and child because my partner got work here. I had to send additional info to the committee but it was accepted and i was counted as IP. I don't have a science undergrad so it was a lot of work to try to learn the sciences on my own. My MCAT made that difficulty clear. I only took the new one - this is my first year applying - and I got 98th percentile in CARS but 1st percentile in Chem/Phys (so bad. so so bad). I think that might have done me in, even though I heard CARS is the best indicator of success in Med School. Next year I'm going to apply to Mac too, as they only look at CARS.

I'm disappointed but not giving up. I've already contacted tutors to help me lift my sciences scores, and i'm going to rework my essays to demonstrate how and why my many many ECs lead me to the decision to apply to med school. My essay this round was sort of vague, I guess. It focussed alot on my dual commitments to scholarship and community and then mentioned all of my varied experiences but didn't give detail on why those experiences made med school  my choice. its really hard in 3000 characters to give much depth.

anyway, i'm not sure how to start a thread but, if you are in town and ever want to meet to discuss how to improve, study for the MCAT, or even just provide solidarity and support to each other i am up for that! i hate feeling isolated and these forums are helpful but limited.

fingers still crossed

Yeah definitely check your junk folder for all your email accounts. I received a call from admissions today to touch base with me in terms of interview. They said they had sent an email on October 11th. It was in my junk for another email account that I wasn't checking.

Hi All, 

I empathize with how stressful it is to wait, especially given that Admissions appears to be giving inconsistent info on when the drop dead for invites is. 

Just called - and they said invites will be continuing into mid next week. Has anyone heard the same today? 

Wishing you the best :) 

Archived