Premed 101 Forums

U Of T Chances

I am thinking of applying to U of T for the PA program. I have a Bachelors in Nursing from the University of Manitoba and I'm working in emergency currently. I graduated in April and started working close to full time hrs on a medicine unit, a care home and now ER due to accepting different term positions. I work in a rural hospital where the acuity varies daily.

Prior to that I have completed 450 hrs for my senior practicum. I should have no issue meeting the 910 hrs of pt experience. My cGPA converted from the U of M to U of T is 2.99 on a 4.0 scale which isn't great but I think it is competitive with my supplementary application.

Would I be considered competitive? Would I be able to stay in Manitoba my first year? Is it harder for a non-Ontario resident to gain admission as I still live in Manitoba.

I am thinking of applying to U of T for the PA program. I have a Bachelors in Nursing from the University of Manitoba and I'm working in emergency currently. I graduated in April and started working close to full time hrs on a medicine unit, a care home and now ER due to accepting different term positions. I work in a rural hospital where the acuity varies daily.

Prior to that I have completed 450 hrs for my senior practicum. I should have no issue meeting the 910 hrs of pt experience. My cGPA converted from the U of M to U of T is 2.99 on a 4.0 scale which isn't great but I think it is competitive with my supplementary application.

Would I be considered competitive? Would I be able to stay in Manitoba my first year? Is it harder for a non-Ontario resident to gain admission as I still live in Manitoba.

Hi! Personally I have not yet applied to this program since I have been building up my hours but I have been researching this program extensively for over a year now.

From what I can tell on the U of T website, being an Ontario resident is a preferred admissions criteria, so being that you're from Manitoba and there are likely many Ontario applicants, I'm not sure how you would stand. But have you considered the PA program at U of Manitoba?? It's where the PA program in Canada started. Definitely check it out!

As far as your GPA, I'm not sure how it would balance out considering your extensive health care experience. I personally applied to the PA program at McMaster last year with a 3.7 and didn't get an interview. (Mac's minimum is 3.0. They don't require health care experience. My essay could have been terrible? I'm not sure if it was my GPA or something else). So I'm not sure how important GPA really is or if the average acceptance GPA is just very high. Check out previous threads to see the stats of people who were accepted/rejected in previous years! Keep in mind that the preferred criteria also outlines paid employment so that may affect your practicum hours.

As for doing your first year in Manitoba, you could if you were willing to fly in a few times a year for the residential blocks and clinical practices. I'm not exactly sure on how the in-class stuff works but I do know you would have to come to U of T at least more than once in your first year.

Hope that helps! Good luck

Guess I should have clarified. Due to my gpa I am aware that I probably would not be competitive at McMaster or U of M. I also haven't taken biochem so that rules out U of M as well and I would need to take prereqs for biochem at U of M which would be on campus with labs and with my work schedule it would not be worth it since I am not a really strong applicant for those 2 schools.

With U of T, I see the emphasis they put on prior experience which is why I believe I have a realistic chance. I should have the 910 hrs paid by the time applications are due so it's not an issue. I have anatomy and physiology but they were each 3 credit hr courses. I would not mind relocating to Ontario.

Doesn't necessarily have to be paid patient-care experience. Some UofT students have acquired their hours through volunteer experiences such as a Campus Medical Responder. 

Guess I should have clarified. Due to my gpa I am aware that I probably would not be competitive at McMaster or U of M. I also haven't taken biochem so that rules out U of M as well and I would need to take prereqs for biochem at U of M which would be on campus with labs and with my work schedule it would not be worth it since I am not a really strong applicant for those 2 schools.

With U of T, I see the emphasis they put on prior experience which is why I believe I have a realistic chance. I should have the 910 hrs paid by the time applications are due so it's not an issue. I have anatomy and physiology but they were each 3 credit hr courses. I would not mind relocating to Ontario.

Doesn't necessarily have to be paid patient-care experience. Some UofT students have acquired their hours through volunteer experience such as a Campus Medical Responder. 

Ya volunteer/non-paid hours will definitely count, it just says on the website that paid positions are preferred!

Some teaching sessions require you to actually come to UofT/Ontario, in terms of frequency I am not certain but you can contact the program. Also in 2nd year many of your rotations will be done through Ontario.

Have you thought about applying to UofM PA program since you live in the province?

Archived