Premed 101 Forums

Ubc Pharmacy Applications 2016/2017- Class Of 2021

SynB

3 hours ago, mike24 said:

Hey guys,

Are the classes required for UBC PharmD year 1 all year long, or is it throughout term 1/2 of the winter only? I need to know if I should apply for year round housing or just September to april housing. 

Also, I was looking up the courses required for year 1 in my degree audit, and it said PHRM170/171 is required. I don't see those courses offered in any of my terms.

There was an email saying we don't have to worry about that class this semester. Check your inbox maybe if you received it. 

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Running in the 90's said:

There was an email saying we don't have to worry about that class this semester. Check your inbox maybe if you received it. 

So just to be clear, we aren't required to take any summer courses? 

thanks

10 hours ago, tingting said:

No, I don't believe you are required to take summer courses, however first years are required to do a one month practicum in the summer. 

Tingting is right. You will have practicums within your Summer for each year. It technically is a course and has certain requirements. 

Check out the 'UBC PharmD Class of 2020', all this type of information is on there. You can get a heads-up on what to prepare for :) 

Cheers, 

FYI; I'll be registering in STT-2. If you pick that schedule I'll be in your Lab! 

3 hours ago, westbrook1 said:

I received an email about stethoscopes, and in that email it said we should have already received an email about the required textbooks and equipment but I haven't received that yet. Do you guys have a copy of the email about required equipment and textbooks?

Don't worry about textbooks and equipment for now. CAPSI and LKS will do textbook sales at the beginning of the year for all the required books + you'll be receiving an email from CAPSI in the coming weeks about stethoscope sales which should save you a bit of money on those.

Make sure that you complete all the documentation that the faculty requires though – register with the College of Pharmacists and try to hunt down your immunization records before you go for your immunization review with UBC Student Health! Also you've probably noticed some posts from LKS on Facebook about the CPR course they offer – do your best to get your CPR certification over the summer because you'll need it for the portfolio that you have to submit in second term, and you're going to want to save time around then to study for quizzes and exams.

Lastly, don't forget to enjoy your summer! Keep an eye out for registration opening for The Great Pharmacy Adventure in early July – this student-run orientation event is your first chance to get to know the rest of your class :) 

If you have any questions/comments/concerns, feel free to message me (Riaaz) on Facebook! You can easily find me :P

I think I've said this already but for those that are wait listed. Keep your hopes up because you can still get in even after when classes start on Sept 5. My friend last year was wait listed and he got a phone call from ubc on the first day of class and he immediately dropped all his classes so that he can attend ubc. So don't get too frustrated if you don't hear back for while. On the other hand, you should prepare plan B in case you don't get accepted. For example maybe practice more mmi sessions and watch YouTube videos on this because I find them to be really helpful. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I'm second year OOP student from Quebec and UBC says prerequisites courses includes first-year biology, chemistry, english and calculus classes. Also they say that non-bc student can take required courses as well as cell biology, biochemistry and microbiology to satisfy the prerequisites. As I've already completed all those required courses, does this mean that they will be included in my first-year prerequisites average? 

Hello everyone! 
I hope you've been enjoying your summer :)

Registration for the Great Pharmacy Adventure (GPA) 2017 is now open! 

GPA will be on Sunday, September 3rd, 2017. It is similar to the amazing race but with added components such as a photo scavenger hunts and similar activities. This is a great time to meet some of your fellow classmates before the start of school. In addition, it’s a great way to meet upper years and ask them about their experiences in pharmacy!

Please sign up at https://goo.gl/forms/46XKhujU4firQlRo2

Early bird registration is $35 until July 14th and will be $40 thereafter, so sign up early to get that discount! Registration will close on August 1st at 12 PM.

If you have any questions, feel free to message us on Facebook or email us at gpa.exec@ubcphus.org

We look forward to meeting you on Sunday, September 3rd!

Just received my rejection letter thanking me for my patience and that all spaces in the PharmD program are now accounted for (I guess I'm at the bottom of the waiting list). Good luck to those who were admitted, and good luck to those still on the waitlist, hopefully you'll be admitted by September! :) 

This was my second time applying to the PharmD program, and I've been studying at UBC for 5 years already. My road has come to an end. I can't do much with my current degree so I'm going to be doing an MBA come September. Wish me luck, and I wish you all a long fulfilling career ahead! :)

Received the same email. I wonder if everyone still in the waitlist got the same email? I was hoping, as mentioned above, some of us will still get accepted leading up to September, but the email sounded quite conclusive, and my status on ssc changed as well (unable to offer).

Really quite disappointed, but gotta move on :/ 

3 hours ago, PororoY said:

I didn't receive the email..

does anyone know if they even consider your grades anymore after the interview? :/

That means you are still on the waitlist and still have a good chance of being admitted :). I think they shortened the waitlist so some people are still left. They might continually shorten the waitlist as time goes on, as the likelihood of people dropping out decreases as time goes on.

They don't consider your grades after the interview.

6 minutes ago, MD-DMD-PharmD said:

That means you are still on the waitlist and still have a good chance of being admitted :). I think they shortened the waitlist so some people are still left. They might continually shorten the waitlist as time goes on, as the likelihood of people dropping out decreases as time goes on.

They don't consider your grades after the interview.

Thank u!

So I guess I must really work on my interview skills ):

Does any one have any good book recommendations to prep for MMI?

On 15/07/2017 at 4:03 AM, PororoY said:

Thank u!

So I guess I must really work on my interview skills ):

Does any one have any good book recommendations to prep for MMI?

IMHO, MMIs aren't something you can study from a book - the whole point of an MMI is to see how you perform in aspects other than studying.  Practicing diverse questions with a fellow skilled MMI interviewee who is willing to give honest but constructive feedback is much more useful than a book.  With that being said, if you find that you are struggling with the very basics of interviewing (content formation and structure), Medical School Interviews 2nd edition by George Lee and Olivier Picard is a good place to start. 

You should also ask yourself what your areas of weakness are in terms of the type of MMI questions you encounter.  Is it ethical questions? Doing Right provides good real life examples of ethical scenarios, but try not to read the "answer" and ask yourself what you would do instead to build critical thinking. Is it social issues? Start reading the news (from multiple sources) - I'd recommend a Twitter list from multiple different news agencies and types of news that you read for 5-10 minutes maybe 3 times a day.  Is it the acting station? This one's harder, it might sound silly, but I'd suggest getting a retail job or volunteer position whose main responsibility is engaging with other people, so you're comfortable in handling uncomfortable interpersonal situations. These are just examples and are obviously not exhaustive.

Also, go volunteer or work at a pharmacy. You don't get any extra points, but knowing the profession at a deeper level will show you what attributes constitute a good pharmacist, and you can try to exemplify those traits during your interview.

7 hours ago, TARS said:

IMHO, MMIs aren't something you can study from a book - the whole point of an MMI is to see how you perform in aspects other than studying.  Practicing diverse questions with a fellow skilled MMI interviewee who is willing to give honest but constructive feedback is much more useful than a book.  With that being said, if you find that you are struggling with the very basics of interviewing (content formation and structure), Medical School Interviews 2nd edition by George Lee and Olivier Picard is a good place to start. 

You should also ask yourself what your areas of weakness are in terms of the type of MMI questions you encounter.  Is it ethical questions? Doing Right provides good real life examples of ethical scenarios, but try not to read the "answer" and ask yourself what you would do instead to build critical thinking. Is it social issues? Start reading the news (from multiple sources) - I'd recommend a Twitter list from multiple different news agencies and types of news that you read for 5-10 minutes maybe 3 times a day.  Is it the acting station? This one's harder, it might sound silly, but I'd suggest getting a retail job or volunteer position whose main responsibility is engaging with other people, so you're comfortable in handling uncomfortable interpersonal situations. These are just examples and are obviously not exhaustive.

Also, go volunteer or work at a pharmacy. You don't get any extra points, but knowing the profession at a deeper level will show you what attributes constitute a good pharmacist, and you can try to exemplify those traits during your interview.

Those r some really really good suggestions. The very basics of interviews are something I definitely need to look into as well. Thank you so much!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived