Premed 101 Forums

Ubc Pharmacy Applications 2016/2017- Class Of 2021

SynB

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Hi I was just wondering what are my chances of getting into the Pharm D program of 2017? My pre req GPA is : 65.9 and last 30 credits is: 86.3! Is it even worth it? Do you know anyone who has gotten into the program with a low pre req GPA? I'm very concerned about that 

Hey Biocrazy! 

I applied last year with a 68.5 and 72.8. Didn't get an interview. I'd recommend you check out the PharmD website, both their application requirements and FAQ. https://pharmsci.ubc.ca/programs/entry-practice-pharmd-degree/admissions-and-finances/admission-requirements.

When I discussed admission requirements with Carol, she said exactly what it says on the FAQ. An additional tip is they average both your Last 30 and the Pre-Req average. 

I don't know anyone that has gotten in with that average, however, the applicant pool is different every year :) I'd recommend YOU APPLY and get familiar with the process :)

• 1 month later...

I have e-mailed UBC and the said that they count the applying year's fall semester in the last 30 credits. So that would be 15 credit for fall semester and 15 credit for summer semester of the previous year. 

I am wondering how they will calculate a full year course (no grade for a full year course in fall semester) and I am really curious on how they will calculate my recent 30 if I only took 12 credit... Also, how do they calculate full year courses? 

If english is a full year course, do I add english course twice to calculate the average?

I understand that the deadline for submitting the personal profile is Jan15th. But does anyone know if transcripts need to be submitted on that day as well since my understanding was when you apply, they email you back and will tell you what they need. Could someone clarify please?

PLEASE HELP MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE:

prereq average is 65.7% but my last 30 credits are 87% (+ or - 0.25%).

Does anyone know someone who has gotten in with a prereq average that low??

My combined average will be around 76-77 (which is competitive hopefully) but do they determine "competitiveness" based on the combination of both averages or both averages separately?

I dont see the logic behind determining competitiveness based on the two averages separately because this doesn't give a huge number of applicants a chance at all, plus with med dropping their prereq average hopefully this will be a common trend in dental and pharmd (back up plans :?)

Someone who is in PharmD would probably have a good opinion on this post! thanks.

PLEASE HELP MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE:

prereq average is 65.7% but my last 30 credits are 87% (+ or - 0.25%).

Does anyone know someone who has gotten in with a prereq average that low??

My combined average will be around 76-77 (which is competitive hopefully) but do they determine "competitiveness" based on the combination of both averages or both averages separately?

I dont see the logic behind determining competitiveness based on the two averages separately because this doesn't give a huge number of applicants a chance at all, plus with med dropping their prereq average hopefully this will be a common trend in dental and pharmd (back up plans :?)

Someone who is in PharmD would probably have a good opinion on this post! thanks.

I understand that the deadline for submitting the personal profile is Jan15th. But does anyone know if transcripts need to be submitted on that day as well since my understanding was when you apply, they email you back and will tell you what they need. Could someone clarify please?

are you from ubc? cus if you are, you don't need to do anything,

if you are not, then the deadline is mid feb(correct me if i am wrong)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Everyone! 

Just recently submitted my application. How did everyone else's go? Little nervous now as I submit my transcripts and wait for notice in April.... so far away :/ 

Lord Stark, check last years thread. There should be some people on their indicating their marks and if they got accepted/rejected. 

Hey guys! Not applying to the PharmD program yet but I had a few questions: 

1. I'm a first year student

with a GPA of 3.43 ( I've only taken 3 classes so far) and I wanted to know what range to keep my GPA within.

2. A lot of you are talking about prereq average and final 30 credits average; how does UBC look at those?

3. Did you complete a degree before you applied to the program or just finished the prereqs?

4. Do/Did any of you volunteer at a pharmacy or medical clinic?

I'm so confused with this application process and want to be prepared when time comes for me to apply, any advice/answers would be extremely helpful! 

Thanks 

1. I'm a first year student at UFV with a GPA of 3.43 ( I've only taken 3 classes so far) and I wanted to know what range to keep my GPA within.

2. A lot of you are talking about prereq average and final 30 credits average; how does UBC look at those?

3. Did you complete a degree before you applied to the program or just finished the prereqs?

I'm so confused with this application process and want to be prepared when time comes for me to apply, any advice/answers would be extremely helpful! 

Thanks 

1. GPA 3.7+ would be the "ideal" average to maintain for the interview.

2. UBC weighs your 1st year prerequisite courses and last 30 credits completed equally (50/50) to rank you for the interview.

3. You do not have to complete a Bachelor's degree for admission, just 60 credits (equivalent to 2 years of undergraduate studies).

4. It will not help you in terms of being admitted into the program; many of the students do not have volunteer experience in pharmacy but are still admitted into the program. However, that being said, it is a great way to discover if pharmacy is right for you. The career isn't as "hot" as it once was - saturation is pretty rampant in the cities (rural areas are the way to go if you want a job). I would guess that a significant amount of people in the program are using the degree as a "stepping stone" into medical school (which is strange in my opinion). But if you truly love pharmacy, go volunteer and gain valuable skills that even pharmacy school would not be able to teach you. 

Hey, just joining the conversation for this year's applicant pool. I applied last year and made it to the interview stage, but unfortunately that was the end. I think my personal profile has improved over the past year and I've gained greater interpersonal skills. My GPA has dropped a bit since transferring to UBC but fingers crossed it is still competitive this year. 

1. I'm a first year student at UFV with a GPA of 3.43 ( I've only taken 3 classes so far) and I wanted to know what range to keep my GPA within.

Thanks 

1) Check UBC PharmD FAQ page (https://pharmsci.ubc.ca/programs/entry-practice-pharmd-degree/admissions-and-finances/frequently-asked-questions)

2) Separately and then combined into an average. Both weighted equally

3) Yes, B.Sc 

4) Yes, worked at a pharmacy. Not required though. They want you to have relate-able experiences. 

FYI, they look at pre-req averages and your last 30. Get those GPA's up. I took a few first year course to jump them up high :)

Hey, just joining the conversation for this year's applicant pool. I applied last year and made it to the interview stage, but unfortunately that was the end. I think my personal profile has improved over the past year and I've gained greater interpersonal skills. My GPA has dropped a bit since transferring to UBC but fingers crossed it is still competitive this year. 

Oh nice! What was your previous GPA that netted you an interview? Tell us more about the MMI's :)

1. GPA 3.7+ would be the "ideal" average to maintain for the interview.

2. UBC weighs your 1st year prerequisite courses and last 30 credits completed equally (50/50) to rank you for the interview.

3. You do not have to complete a Bachelor's degree for admission, just 60 credits (equivalent to 2 years of undergraduate studies).

4. It will not help you in terms of being admitted into the program; many of the students do not have volunteer experience in pharmacy but are still admitted into the program. However, that being said, it is a great way to discover if pharmacy is right for you. The career isn't as "hot" as it once was - saturation is pretty rampant in the cities (rural areas are the way to go if you want a job). I would guess that a significant amount of people in the program are using the degree as a "stepping stone" into medical school (which is strange in my opinion). But if you truly love pharmacy, go volunteer and gain valuable skills that even pharmacy school would not be able to teach you. 

Are you saying 3.7+/4.00 GPA? That's high, but an 80+ should be fine..

Oh nice! What was your previous GPA that netted you an interview? Tell us more about the MMI's :)

That individual cannot comment too much on the MMI; bound by confidentiality contract with UBC Pharmacy.

To answer your previous question, an 80+ is a good competitive average for the interview. Last year's admission average was around low 80s. Good luck.

That individual cannot comment too much on the MMI; bound by confidentiality contract with UBC Pharmacy.

To answer your previous question, an 80+ is a good competitive average for the interview. Last year's admission average was around low 80s. Good luck.

Yes, confidentiality prevents tingting from saying too much, but he should be able to comment on how it went, what the challenges were, was worked well and what didn't. Helps out those who are applying. 

I'm going to go by percent because my previous uni went by a 4.33 GPA scale. My first year average was 82% and my last 30 credits was 91%. As for the MMI all I can really say is that I wish had had the opportunity to practice with a group. I know last year there was a Facebook page made for UBC students to get together and practice. I kind of went into the interview having practiced questions but not really in the MMI format. So if you can, get group and practice! 

Archived