Premed 101 Forums

Ubc Pharmacy Applications 2016/2017- Class Of 2021

SynB

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to go by percent because my previous uni went by a 4.33 GPA scale. My first year average was 82% and my last 30 credits was 91%. As for the MMI all I can really say is that I wish had had the opportunity to practice with a group. I know last year there was a Facebook page made for UBC students to get together and practice. I kind of went into the interview having practiced questions but not really in the MMI format. So if you can, get group and practice! 

With that average, it would be possible to get into medical school if you have strong ECs. :P

Hey guys! Let's talk numbers lol

I'm sitting at a cGPA of ~77%. What do you think my chances are? Have you heard of anyone with this type of average get accepted to an interview?

Thanks! :P

It will not be guaranteed but you do have a chance (hopefully high).  

With that average, it would be possible to get into medical school if you have strong ECs. :P

If Medicine only looked at last 30 and pre-req average, I'd jump over there :P

@waterbottle14 : Hard to say! Is that your percent for the pre-req average or the last 30 credit average? Give us some more details! 77% is low end of what they considered "competitive". Their FAQ states "high 70 to mid 80's" is competitive. 

hey guys, do you know if what does preference are given to in province students as opposed to OOP applicants mean, like, how strongly will that affect my chances?

I am OOP(i think, I study at UBC but I am from Alberta tho), and this is really confusing lol

Call Carol K @ UBC Pharm. She should be able to answer your question. I thought it was based on residency (I.e. BC Healthcare vs AB Healthcare/Insurance), but I could be wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

I personally know a student in the 2020 class who had roughly 76% and lots of ECs (mature student, plus long term involvement in a lot of healthcare-related things) who was accepted.  They were unsuccessful in the 2019 intake however. 

The interview portion of the application process, if you make it, is probably where you can make yourself shine from other candidates.  While it's not absolutely necessary to read principles regarding health values, it's not disadvantageous to do so, and would help you regardless since you will be learning about them.

I also read one of the posts about pharmacy to medicine: truthfully, I have not seen much attrition due to medicine, especially in first year. The program itself is still vastly fluid and things are still being changed.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interview RSVP emails have gone out! I just received mine right now. 

Best of luck to everyone else, will be praying you get an interview invitation :)

If you don't mind sharing, are you IP or OOP and what was your average?

Hello Everyone!!!

I'd like to start a Skype Group for practicing MMI's. Add me on Skype and we can practice questions on weekend evenings (Sat/Sun). 

Here the link for the UBC MMI Practice MMI questions (http://science-student.sites.olt.ubc.ca/files/2014/01/Sample-Questions-2013-2014.pdf)

On how to best tackle the MMI questions, I'd recommend you check out this book; Doing Good: A Practical Guide to Ethics for Medical Trainees and Physicians, Phillip C. Herbert. 

Skype Name: chrisduke5838

Best Times: Sat/Sun Even

**Add me on Skype, then message me a time that works best for you. We then do a skype call, practice a couple questions each and then debrief**

Hi. Does anyone know if more invites will be sent out today? Or if you didn't get one yesterday, it's a no for sure?

Good question... I'm not too sure. I think they send them out in waves. The first wave looked like it was yesterday. Based on responses, they would most likely send another wave of emails. The last wave is the "Not Invited" emails. 

You'll get an email regardless :)

Hello Everyone!

Congratulations on getting an interview offer from the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences. I will be hosting MMI Prep Sessions every Sunday from 2pm-4pm starting April 2nd until April 23rd, 2017. (April 2, 9, 16, 23)

Objective: To be able to conquer the MMI on April 29/30, 2017
- practice MMI questions
- receive constructive feedback on your answers
- discuss topics (eg. current events) that may come up in the MMI
- develop potential MMI scenarios for practice
- learn how to respond to the "actor stations"
- meet potential pharmacy students and start building friendships that could last through the next 4 years of pharmacy school  :)

Practice is the key to success with the MMI. This group will provide a supportive community for you to learn and improve so that your performance at the MMI will be the best it can possibly be.

Note: Leave your competitive attitude at the door. The goal of these sessions is to help one another by giving constructive feedback and providing support throughout the application process and hopefully for many years to come. We are all working towards the same thing so let's build each other up and help each other improve. After all, the practice you do with this dedicated group of people will be invaluable.

If you are interested in joining us, please message me on Facebook for the location (it will be at UBC). You can find more information in the Facebook group. We are looking for an engaged group of individuals. If you cannot commit to at least 2 out of the 4 sessions, this may not be the group for you.

Also, if you know others who are interested in practicing for the pharmacy MMI, feel free to invite them. Please note that space is limited.

Best of luck to everyone!

Here's a link to the Facebook group (Pharmacy MMI Prep Sessions 2017)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1167080533401686/

Archived