Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites 2017 Cycle

Time stamp: 2:30 pm (EST)

Result: Regrets

wGPA: 4.0

MCAT: 510

EC's: Above average (IMO). MSc applicant so a lot of experiences

Essay: Spent a lot of time on both the connection/essay, however I don't think my connection was that strong overall

Year: MSc (2nd year)

IP/OOP: OOP

Best of luck to those OOP that got invites!

Time stamp: 2:23pm

MCAT: 520 (132/125/132/131)

ECs: Decent. Research here (NSERC) and abroad. Lots of Sports, captain of university soccer team, Exec in Clubs, volunteering @ hospitals, working with people with disabilities, etc. ( I know a lot of my verifiers personally, but none were contacted? wonder of that affected things) 

Essay: Thought it was good but was very last minute. My connection to maritimes was really poor though. 

Year: 4th UG

OOP

Time stamp: 230PM

Result: Rejected

wGPA: 3.9

MCAT: 516 (126-130-130-130)

EC's: Above average, balanced. Significant clinical experience, different background and interests.

Essay: Was happy with them. No connection whatsoever to Maritimes, however I think my essay addressed sincerely motivations to go there. 

Year: Finishing Master's

Time stamp: 2:30 pm (EST)

Result: Regrets

wGPA: probably 3.96 ish 

MCAT: 515 (128/128/130/129)

EC's: 3 NSERC USRA, 4 conference presentations, 4 years as a campus medical responder and executive, conference organizing committee, years of health/science outreach, TA experience 2 years, course redesigns, 

Essay: Did it pretty last minute, but I felt it was pretty strong. My connection was kind of weak, it was built around the fact that I had visited there as a kid and I have distant family there. I also took a semester with 4 courses due to personal life circumstances, so this may have disqualified me despite me writing an essay.

Year: Undergrad (4th year)

IP/OOP: OOP

Time stamp: 2:23 pm (EST)

Result: Regrets

wGPA: 4.0 (3.96 on OMSAS scale)

MCAT: 518 (131/127/131/129)

EC's: Decent ECs, couple of unique experiences that I thought would make me a unique and outstanding applicant.

Essay: Most of my time spent on essays was used for these two essays. Put a lot of time in reviewing them, and I was happy with the end result. Weak Maritime connection. Visited for a week in NB, NS and PEI as a summer vacation a few years ago, so I milked that cow dry. 

Year: Undergrad (5th year: Graduated and doing another year in another program)

IP/OOP: OOP

Time stamp: 2:23 PM (EST)

MCAT: 524

EC's: Decent. Didn't have a whole lot of research experience but lots of volunteering.

Essay: No maritime connection whatsoever. I just wrote about why I was drawn to establish a medical career in Nova Scotia and why Dalhousie's program was a great fit for me.

Year: Undergrad (4th year)

Time stamp: 2:50PM (EST)

Result: Invited

wGPA: 3.85

MCAT: 520 (128/130/130/132)

EC's: Quite strong. Multiple varsity sports, chamber choirs, and a lot of volunteering through undergrad. Tree-planting and camp counselling through the summers. Professional youth care worker, outward bound instructor and silvaculture crewboss post undergrad, as well as continued EC's and volunteering at home and abroad. 

Essay: Family maritime connection (grandfather connected to the school, family used to live in Halifax). Worked very hard on my essay, had multiple family members and friends read and edit it (I definitely obsessed a bit over the essay). 

Year: Post Undergrad

Time stamp: 2:23 pm

wGPA: 4.0 (Dal scale)

MCAT: 9/10 (Dal scale)

EC's: Research (conference, pub), exec for multiple clubs in undergrad, international sports (national team) with multiple related awards, 2500-3000 work hours over a few jobs, moderate amount of volunteering.

Essay: No maritime connection but explained why I would be a good fit for the program and the area.

Year: Graduated

*Edit forgot to say whether I was invited or not.

Time stamp: 3:48 pm AST

Result: Invited

GPA: 3.7

MCAT 512 (129-126-129-128)

EC's: Research (5 publications, multiple international conferences), national/university committee memberships, CIHR Award, Research scholarship, volunteer work with Canadian Cancer Society for 5 years, 5 years volunteering with local paediatric oncology camp (2 as Director), Teaching Assistant

Essay: Worked my tail off on this one. Think I gave them a pretty good picture of who I am, and how the skills I've picked up in leadership positions and research will translate into me thriving in the program.

Year: Final year of PhD

IP/OOP: IP

Time stamp: 2:23PM (EST)

Result: RAGRETZ.

wGPA: 3.9

MCAT: 513 (128/126/130/129)

EC's: Strong (IMO). Non-trad applicant, years of nursing experience, keynote speaker at provincial conferences, competitive soccer player, research, etc. etc.

Essay: I thought it was strong, but my maritime connection was a bit of a stretch - talked about how I collaborated with nurses from NS during national conferences and helped with their current disparities in nursing.

Year: graduated a few years ago

IP/OOP: OOP.

Honestly not even mad. Already accepted at a US school and after seeing how much more holistic they are vs Canada, I'm ready to leave.

Time stamp: 2:23 PM EST

wGPA: 3.85

MCAT: 513

EC's: Pretty good, I thought. I'm a non-trad applicant. I've done postdocs and have 10+ publications.

Essay: My husband is from the Maritimes, so I thought my essay was pretty solid.

Year: PhD

Oh, well. Good luck all!

Time stamp: 3:23PM

MCAT: 518 (129/130/130/129)

EC's: Lots of work experience, research, volunteer with individuals with disabilities, mentor volunteer at hospital, president of school club, outreach activities with youth, volunteer at veterinary clinic, etc., etc..

Essay: I felt that my essay was strong; I'm a non-traditional applicant with plenty of experiences to draw on. I had essentially no maritime connection (have never been) and definitely rushed on that part.

Year: 4th yr UG

Not surprised about this one. Good luck to everyone invited to interview!

Time stamp: 3:56 

Result: Invite (IP, but still excited about it hahah)

MCAT: 510 

EC's: Hospital volunteering, Ronald McDonald, ESL teacher for refugees, part-time teacher at after school program, first responder, some art-related activities, some awards (in-course, Aramark, leadership certificate), society executive, to name the biggest ones.  Most are long term.

Essay: Not relevant for the invite, but it's hard to be sure.  I'm not a strong writer. 

Year: graduated 

IP/OOP: IP (NS)

Time stamp:  2:46 PM EST

Result: Invite

wGPA: No Idea. British undergraduate degree, graduated with a high II.1

MCAT: 520 (130/128/131/131)

EC's: Mainly research. Just started volunteering at family clinic, but did lots of volunteering as TA in HS. Involvement in university include student publishing, market research for university biotech startup, orchestra.

Essay: Okay I think

Year: Completed UG & Master's (Both in UK)

IP/OOP: OOP non-trad

First ever interview, I'm so excited! 

Time stamp:15:54 (Atlantic Time)

Result:Invite

GPA: 3.8

MCAT: 508: 127,127,128,126.

EC: Rushed through it. 3 years work experience in rural area, President student club, vice president student council, co-founder of a tech start-up (medically related), Volunteer as part of medical team for boxing tournaments, avid cyclist. No research! Didn't have enough time to fill out my Awards section.

Essay: Obviously this got me the interview. Even though I did it last munute, I spent 4 days outlining the essay and finished it the day before. It was edited by a friend who knows me well. My essay was very Personal;I used it to tell my life story and my longterm goal in medicine.

No physical Maritime connection, but wrote about how my life and work preferences connect me to the maritime.

Year: Bachelors complete

Ip/OOP: OOP

I decided to post this just to encourage people with my kinda stats to apply. I didn't think I stood a chance, but I pushed myself to apply last minute.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived