Premed 101 Forums

Another What Are My Chances At Ubc Pharm, Here We Go

Lil_pink

Hi y'all, I am currently in my sec year rn and I am applying to UBC and UA pharm, my first year core gpa is 78.2 and i think my last 30 average will end up being 82-85(I am still in my second year)

What are my chances for both? And is there any other pharm schools that I should look into?

Thx in advance!

Hey, first year UBC Pharm student here. I can't speak for U of A Pharm, but your stats are right in the right range to be competitive here. The average GPA for our year was around 80%. I'd like to emphasize though that there's heavy focus on the personal profile and interview section for UBC specifically so don't focus too much on grades, there are plenty of people in my year with averages lower than yours, but they had good applications and interviews. Best of luck, let me know if you have any more questions.

Yeah, I think that you will be fine for your personal profile, honestly I didn't have experience in clubs or any pharmacy experience and I was fine. One of the biggest things for the interview is really just staying calm, for most of the stations it doesn't matter how much you practice because it's going to be different. That being said though I'd still recommend going through some online just to see what they're like. 

I hope that helps a bit.

• 2 months later...

Anyone give input on what my chances would be? 78% pre-req and 86% last 30. :/

If I am mistaken, please correct me, but I recall you mentioned you "applied last year with a 68.5 and 72.8". How did you increase your prereq average by roughly 10% and your last 30 credits by 14%? Did you retake a bunch of 1st year courses? If that's case, you have a VERY good chance in landing an interview, so I wouldn't even think about the interview until April. Cheers.   

Exactly that. I worked my ASS off and got A+ in 9 credits of repeated pre-req courses. This allowed me to jump up both the last 30 and pre-req average, especially since they average all attempts at pre-req courses.  

Then you do not need to worry about getting the interview, all you need to do is to master how to MMI in terms of talking about something for a few minutes straight without being too short or too long. Like tingting said, practicing with a partner will greatly help your interviewing skills. 

Good luck!

Then you do not need to worry about getting the interview, all you need to do is to master how to MMI in terms of talking about something for a few minutes straight without being too short or too long. Like tingting said, practicing with a partner will greatly help your interviewing skills. 

Good luck!

Thanks ptonotype, 

Fyi, if anyone (or you) are looking for a good ethical book, check out "Doing Right". Got a bit into it yesterday. It's well written

Necessary for medicine, mostly useless for pharmacy.

For entrance yes. For practice in healthcare, I'd advocate it as something very helpful. Even if you are not consulting on the same level as a MD, you should be aware of ethical principles autonomy, beneficence, and justice. Doesn't do any harm.

Back on topic, have they changed anything in regards to the UBC PharmD review process? Do they still only consider marks for interview and then interview + Personal Profile for sending out offers?   

Hey guys. I was thinking of creating a group to practice MMI in UBC.If you already start practing I would be happy to join

@ Nt@ I have been keeping an eye out and I don't think there is one currently for UBC!

It would be a good idea if you make a fb page for MMI practice. Please link me here and I'll be happy to join.

Archived