Premed 101 Forums

How Do You Eat Healthy When You Are Busy With School?

End Poverty

Batch cooking and freezing - go to Costco and get a big thing of salmon/chicken breast and cook it all in one go to pack and store for 1 - 2 weeks. Super easy to bake in the oven or via slow cooker. Also works with veggies like broccoli and carrots.

Also, cucumbers or peppers make a great snack along with your apples and carrots. Hummus is also pretty tasty.

Something quick and easy that I have been cooking and which is what I plan to do when I get into medicine is:

- Cook a bunch of chicken breasts at the beginning of the week, and buy a big bag of frozen veggies.

- Heat up a pan to medium and throw in some cut up chicken and frozen veggies. Cook them for a bit then put in a low cal marinade. Stir it around, cook for a bit more, and then its done. It's delicious and if you get sick of it just switch to a different flavour of marinade. You can cook this to eat right away, or pack it away in tupperware to bring to school or save it for other days.

• 3 weeks later...

I usually batch-cook some protein at the beginning of the week (usually baking, roasting, slow-cooking) like pulled pork, steak, chicken thighs. I batch-cook only a few days worth of a starch like rice or sweet potatoes as well as veggies (I find these items go weird/bland much faster) which is fine because they're typically very easy to prepare again halfway through the week. Then supplement with various things that keep extremely well and are ready-to-go like:

• Fruit (apples, oranges keep particularly well)
  • Nuts
  • Hard-boiled eggs (can keep for up to a week in the fridge). If you're uber lazy Costco sells little "Egg2Go" packets (2 to a package, 10 packages in a bag) for like $8.
  • Peanut butter/almond butter (on apples, fruit, celery, etc.; might seem juvenile but it's extremely good for you and very easy to prepare)
  • Various raw veggies including cherry tomatoes, sweet peppers

Archived