Premed 101 Forums

Pt School Abroad?

Does anyone here have experience applying to PT schools abroad (namely in the UK and Australia)? How tough is it to get in compared to Canadian schools? I have heard that it is a bit easier - it's very competitive in Canada after all. My GPA is probably not going to be competitive unless i take a lot more courses to boost it, so to me, it's worth the high international tuition if i can get in and start my career earlier. The school websites do not offer a lot of information in terms of GPA cutoffs and such, so I was wondering if anyone here has applied overseas before.

My understanding is that they are GENERALLY less competitve. However, it will also be much more expensive than a Canadian PT school. Also check out the Canadian Alliance of Physiotherapy Regulators' website. PTs educated outside of Canada tend to have a harder time passing both the written and clinical components of the national licencing exam.

Not saying don't do it. I'm just making sure you have all the info

I applied to MacquarieU in Australia and University of Sydney

I got accepted easily to Macquarie but it is a 3 year DPT compared to UofS which was a 2 year masters. I didn't get into UofS because they have a strict guideline on pre-reqs and its probably more competitive than Macquarie. The schools were extremly expensive compared to Canada, and with the starting salary of a PT there was no way I could have lived comfortably paying off all that debt so I decided to decline my offer. I think the school in Ireland cost less but is more competitive. 

If you want to apply to Australia contact Oztrekk. They are super helpful and guide you through the process step-by-step.

https://www.oztrekk.com/programs/physio/PG/overview.php

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there. I went through Oztrekk and only applied to Bond University's DPT program and I got accepted for 2017. My average is 85 and I have just over 100 volunteer hours in a clinic. What makes it tough is that they only accept 5-8 international students each year. Aus schools don't seem to care about volunteer hours, and really only look at grades, references, and the interview which is done over skype. Talking to the Oztrekk recruiter, he said it was worth applying to Aus schools if you have at least an 80 average. I told him mine was 85 and he was like "oh ya you got you apply" so if you can be in that range maybe you're good?  Whereas most Canadian schools an 85 is middle of the road it seems. 

I currently have my application in to UBC as well but I won't find out about that for a few more months. 

• 2 months later...

Hi there. I went through Oztrekk and only applied to Bond University's DPT program and I got accepted for 2017. My average is 85 and I have just over 100 volunteer hours in a clinic. What makes it tough is that they only accept 5-8 international students each year. Aus schools don't seem to care about volunteer hours, and really only look at grades, references, and the interview which is done over skype. Talking to the Oztrekk recruiter, he said it was worth applying to Aus schools if you have at least an 80 average. I told him mine was 85 and he was like "oh ya you got you apply" so if you can be in that range maybe you're good?  Whereas most Canadian schools an 85 is middle of the road it seems. 

I currently have my application in to UBC as well but I won't find out about that for a few more months. 

Hi there! Just wondering if your 85% is your sGPA or your cGPA. :) And what kind of references are they looking for?

Hi there! Just wondering if your 85% is your sGPA or your cGPA. :) And what kind of references are they looking for?

Hey. So Bond looks at your whole degree, not your most recent 30 upper level credits like some Canadian schools. So my average throughtout my whole degree is 85. I guess that's my cGPA?  

They wanted one acadmeic and one professional reference. So I used a proff who I knew really well and who I had for three different courses. My professional reference was a PT who I volunteered with and got to know quite well. Although I mentioned my volunteer expereince during my interview, Bond really just cares about your grades in order to get an interview. Once you get the interview, they want to make sure you're a normal person and not just a book-smart neerd haha

Archived